!972 NHLers in Summit Series cheer after a goal, Cherry says no

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Don Cherry says NHL hockey players should have very modest and subdued cheers after a goal because that's the Canadian way. Well, in 1972, in the Summit Series between Canada and the USSR, you can see in this video that the best NHLers were raising their arms and sticks after a goal.

YouTube - Summit Series - Canada Vs. USSR - Game 1 - Sept 2, 1972

The ironic thing is, when I watched this series, the Russians were called robots for not cheering when they scored, being brainwashed by their system we thought.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We shouldn't take anything much that don cherry says as 'intelligent', as he rambles
on, just to hear himself spout, and get attention, and it works. He is running out
of material for his 'shows', if you can call them that, he is desperate now, grabbing
at straws.
In the above example, 'cheering', it is just because ovetchkin is a russian and not
a 'good canadian boy', he is such a red neck, and very narrow minded.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Would Don Cherry be so cheery if someone proclaimed Canadians should dress in modest and subdued collars....

Man, if he doesn't like boisterous cheers, it's a good thing he wasn't in my (extended by a TV on the instructor's desk) high school auto shop class when Henderson scored....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Would Don Cherry be so cheery if someone proclaimed Canadians should dress in modest and subdued collars....

Man, if he doesn't like boisterous cheers, it's a good thing he wasn't in my (extended by a TV on the instructor's desk) high school auto shop class when Henderson scored....

Just to show how deep my expertise goes, I bet that the Russians wouldn't win a game. I was positively gloating after the Canadians scored the second goal but it went to hell after that.