World Junior Championships

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Juniors are not a sports priority here in Gopherland. We do have a few Junior B teams but not Junior A. Strangely, Iowa has quite a few Junior A teams.

I was about to ask if John Tavares is related to the lacrosse player but found the answer immediately - the older JT is his uncle.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juniors are not a sports priority here in Gopherland. We do have a few Junior B teams but not Junior A. Strangely, Iowa has quite a few Junior A teams.

I was about to ask if John Tavares is related to the lacrosse player but found the answer immediately - the older JT is his uncle.

Very good Gopher. Thanks for the info. I follow hockey as much as most people and I didn't know that. Tavares is a power on this Canadian team.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They better change the format next time around. 15 nothing in a hockey game is
ridiculous, and embarrassing and humiliating for the opposition. The fact that the
winning team continues wanting to score goals because it could make the difference at the end of the tournament has to change.
They should have the mercy rule, ending the game at 8-0 or whatever, so that
the game doesn't become a joke.
They are making mockery of our game by allowing such games.
Either change the format, or make sure teams have to qualify somehow which
would keep teams like that out.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
They better change the format next time around. 15 nothing in a hockey game is
ridiculous, and embarrassing and humiliating for the opposition. The fact that the
winning team continues wanting to score goals because it could make the difference at the end of the tournament has to change.
They should have the mercy rule, ending the game at 8-0 or whatever, so that
the game doesn't become a joke.
They are making mockery of our game by allowing such games.
Either change the format, or make sure teams have to qualify somehow which
would keep teams like that out.

I agree with a mercy rule, however in the event of a tie at the end of the round robin, total goals will break the tie. Maybe a point could be awarded for the games shortened by the mercy rule.
Yes the game was embarrassing for all involved, and I was glad they stopped blowing the horn after the goals. I sure felt sorry for Kazakhstan.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Normally teams do not run up the score like this but the goal differential can have a direct effect on where a team places in the tournament.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree with a mercy rule, however in the event of a tie at the end of the round robin, total goals will break the tie. Maybe a point could be awarded for the games shortened by the mercy rule.
Yes the game was embarrassing for all involved, and I was glad they stopped blowing the horn after the goals. I sure felt sorry for Kazakhstan.

That is what I meant when I said they should change the format, so that
it doesn't have anything to do with how many goals a team has scored in
the tournament, then they could apply the mercy rule, and avoid such games
as 'yesterdays'. that was ridiculous, and childish, a bunch of grown people
sitting watching such an exhibition of unfair play, we can send a man to
the moon but cannot figure out how to avoid 'that'. No way.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Mercy rules have no place in hockey, it's not like they are playing slowpitch.

Have you read any of Kazakhstan's post game remarks? They basically admit that they have no where near the talent of the Canadians or Americans etc but to be able to play in the "A" division it is worth it. They have a developing hockey program and they want to play the best, which better teams to learn from then Canada/US etc.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Have you read any of Kazakhstan's post game remarks? They basically admit that they have no where near the talent of the Canadians or Americans etc but to be able to play in the "A" division it is worth it. They have a developing hockey program and they want to play the best, which better teams to learn from then Canada/US etc.

Levels of hockey are made in the game, to gradually move up the ranks. That
team shouldn't jump from a commercial grade hockey and play the best the
world.
We have lots of junior b teams, don't see any of them in the tournament,
they aren't good enough, and neither are they, they have to get better than
they are, to 'deserve' to play at that level, it destroys the enjoyment of watching
the game, It doesn't matter what they think, and I'm sure they feel priviledged
to have played the canadians, so would many other young teams, but they
have to work their way there.
The mercy rule should be applied, IF they are going to continue allowing that
level of hockey in the tournament, doesn't have to be slow pitch or any other
game, just common sense, if they can't stay within 10 goals of their opposition,
the game is called, after two periods.
There should be qualifying tournaments to play in, to be allowed to move on
to that level of tournament. They know how to figure it out.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In the 1949 World championships Canada beat Denmark 49 - 0. I doubt if we could ever do that again. We used to beat Russia by wide margins as well but they have l earned to play the game. Kazakhstan will improve or be relegated to a lower level.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It would seem that Khaz did qualify for the tournament if info at wikipedia is correct.

IIHF World U20 Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The main tournament features the top ten ranked hockey nations in the world, comprising the 'Top Division', from which a world champion is crowned. There are also three lower pools - divisions I, II and III - that each play separate tournaments playing for the right to be promoted to a higher pool, or face relegation to a lower pool."

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If the World Juniors were to be a "fair" tournament, it would be comprised of Canada, US, Sweden, Russia,the Czech & Finland. That would be a pretty boring show.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

DD, you had me agreeing with you until I read /US......

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
It would seem that Khaz did qualify for the tournament if info at wikipedia is correct.

IIHF World U20 Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The main tournament features the top ten ranked hockey nations in the world, comprising the 'Top Division', from which a world champion is crowned. There are also three lower pools - divisions I, II and III - that each play separate tournaments playing for the right to be promoted to a higher pool, or face relegation to a lower pool."

Yes, they did beat Denmark last year to put them in Group A, so they deserve to be there.