Paralympics: Five more cycling golds take Great Britain to 2nd in medals table

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Great Britain's cyclists, who were so dominant during the Olympics, are all-conquering again in the paralympics. Great Britain's cyclists won FIVE more gold medals in Beijing today. Great Britain are now second in the medals table, above the United States and below only the hosts China. Great Britain have so far won 21 gold medals and 43 medals in total, compared to 15 gold and 34 in total for the US and 24 gold and 77 in total for hosts China.

Canada lies 9th in the medals table, with 6 golds and 15 medals in total.

GB cyclists take five more golds

By Elizabeth Hudson
BBC Sport in Beijing

CURRENT PARALYMPICS MEDALS TABLE (TOP 10)

.......................G.....S.....B.....Total
1) China............24....28....25......77
2) Great Britain...21....13....9.......43
3) United States...15.....7....12......34
4) Ukraine..........11.....6....13......30
5) Russia............10.....10...11......31
6) Australia.........8......12....12.....32
7) Brazil.............8.......6.....6......20
8 ) South Africa....7.......1.....3......11
9) Canada...........6........3.....6......15
10) Spain.............5.......11....6......22

Great Britain won five further Paralympic cycling events on day three in Beijing to better the gold haul of GB's cyclists at the Olympic Games.

Former swimmer Jody Cundy won his fourth Paralympic gold - his first in cycling - in the LC2 1km time trial.

Time trialist Darren Kenny, Simon Richardson in the pursuit and tandem pairing Aileen McGlynn and Ellen Hunter won their second golds of the Games.

And Mark Bristow triumphed in the LC1 1km event, in a new world record time.

Rik Waddon took silver behind Kenny in the 1km CP3 time trial for athletes with cerebral palsy

The medals took GB's haul to nine golds and a silver so far at the Laoshan Velodrome, compared to a GB haul of eight golds, four silvers and two bronze across all able-bodied cycling disciplines last month.

Cundy, from Swansea, is a below-the-knee amputee having been born with a deformed foot which was amputated when he was just three-years-old.

He smashed his own world record by more than three seconds to overcome Czech rival Jiri Jezek in 1:05.466.

"I have been ready to go for the last few weeks," said Cundy, who is now based in Wales. "I can't believe the time I have come up with. The last two and half years have been fabulous. I could not have asked for anything more."

Kenny won the men's CP3 individual pursuit on day one to begin GB's medal romp.

In Tuesday's time trial, Waddon, the penultimate rider to go, beat Kenny's old world record by 1.9 seconds on his Paralympic debut.

But Kenny defended his title in style, clocking a time of one minute 8.668 sec - 4.5 sec quicker than his old mark.

"This is the culmination of a few years of hard work and it has paid off this time," said Kenny.

"I fully expected Rik to go out and smash the world record. He was flying for this event."

Waddon said: "I'm more than pleased. You can't do any more than a world record.

"Darren and I push each other in training and you hope it will pay off for one of you. To have gold and silver in this event is great."

Richardson, 41, who won the LC3/4 1km time-trial on Sunday, took gold in Tuesday's LC3 individual pursuit, beating Japan's Masaki Fujita by six and a half seconds.

Richardson has no feeling down his left side after a road accident in 2001 while out riding near his home in Porthcawl.

"I'm still in total shock - two golds in three days is unbelievable," said Richardson

"I can't remember a thing about the race except with about four laps to go I went around the bend and saw Fujita in front of me and I knew then I was going to win gold.

Bristow, 46, who comes from Buckinghamshire but now lives in California and works in Silicon Valley, is a cousin of five-times world darts champion Eric Bristow.

He was the fourth-last rider to go and dashed straight to his family in the stand when he secured victory in a time of 1:08.873.

"My family deserve the medal more than I do - they are the ones who have been without me for 12 weeks," he told BBC Sport.

"We now have three gold medallists [Bristow, Kenny and Cundy] lining up in Wednesday's team pursuit with a silver medallist in reserve so on paper we should be there.

"But the Chinese will be strong again and we will see what happens."

McGlynn and Hunter, who retained their 1km time trial title on Sunday, carried their form into the pursuit, where they beat Australia's Lindy Hou and Toireasa Gallagher, despite having qualified in a slower time.

They finished in a time of 3:39.809 - a second and a half clear of the Australians and McGlynn was thrilled with yet another Paralympic gold.

"All the hours of training we do, all the hard work is all worth it on these days," said the 35-year-old Scot.

"You get the reward on days like these andll of the funding we are gettting is paying off.

"We've been training hard for the last four years and we needed to go out and show the coaches that we deserved our place in this fantastic team," said Hunter, who originally hails from Wrexham. Wednesday's final day on the track sees action in the team sprint, the men's sprint (B&VI) where Anthony Kappes and Barney Storey aim for a second gold and Sarah Storey goes in the LC1/LC2/CP4 individual pursuit.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport