Rebecca Adlington is Britain's first female swimmer to win Olympic gold since 1960

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Rebecca Adlington became the first female British swimmer to win gold in the Olympics since the Rome Olympics of 1960.

She beat America's Katie Hoff to the finish in the 400m freestyle. Britain's Jo Jackson - Rebecca Adlington's best friend - finished third in what was a remarkable Final for Team GB.

Rebecca Adlington snatches swimming gold

BBC Sport
Monday 11th August 2008

WOMEN'S 400 METRE FREESTYLE FINAL

1st: Rebecca Adlington - Great Britain - Gold
2nd: Katie Hoff - USA - Silver
3rd: Jo Jackson - Great Britain - Bronze

Britain's Rebecca Adlington receives her gold medal. Jo Jackson, who won bronze for Britain in the same race, is in the background

Britain's Rebecca Adlington took a historic gold in the women's 400m freestyle, while her team-mate Jo Jackson claimed the bronze medal.

Adlington timed her late surge to perfection as she became Britain's first female Olympic swimming champion in 48 years.

The 19-year-old from Mansfield pipped Katie Hoff of the United States by just seven 100ths of a second.

Jackson also staged a late rally to edge Coralie Balmy into fourth place.

The British pair both paced their races superbly, reaching 100m and 200m in sixth and eighth place respectively.

Just over half a second separated the field at the halfway point, with Adlington reaching 300m in fifth and Jackson just ahead in fourth.

Hoff looked to have a built a decisive lead and was half a length ahead with 10m to go, but Adlington powered up the final 50m to win it at the wall and become the first British woman to claim gold since Anita Lonsbrough won the 200m breaststroke in 1960.

She left the Italian world record holder Federica Pellegrini and France's world champion Laure Manaudou in her wake, in fifth and eighth.

Adlington and Jackson are also the first British women to win medals in the Olympic pool since Sarah Hardcastle's silver (400m freestyle) and bronze (800m freestyle) in Los Angeles in 1984.

Jackson's third place in a time of 4:03.52 meant Team GB eclipsed their entire medal haul in the pool from Athens 2004 in one race.

In Greece, Britain won two bronze medals, with Stephen Parry (200m butterfly) and David Davies (1500m freestyle) both making the podium.

A thrilled Adlington, who finished in 4:03.22, said she was disappointed with her time but added: "We are both so happy to have two British girls on the podium. We just tried to ignore the times and race the final.

"I don't think either of us are natural sprinters, we don't do the 100m free so we are naturally suited to the back half of the race.

"We didn't panic when we were a little bit behind. I didn't see anyone past Katie, I didn't know what was going on.

"I couldn't see what there was on the other side of the pool, I saw Katie and just tried to catch her."

Adlington added: "I don't think either of us expected it and especially a gold and a bronze, it's absolutely amazing.

"It hasn't sunk in yet. I'm just over the moon."

At the Olympics four years ago, where Britain's 30 medals was the country's best tally (aside from the boycotted 1984 Games) since Paris in 1924, the squad had to wait until day seven for their first gold. It is day three in Beijing and Team GB already have two golds, with Adlington building on cyclist Nicole Cooke's thrilling win in the women's road race on Sunday.

MEDALS TABLE - TOP 15

.....................Gold......Silver......Bronze.......Total
China...............17..........5............5..............27
USA.................10..........8............11.............29
South Korea........6...........6............1..............13
Germany............6...........1............2...............9
Italy.................4...........4............3...............11
Australia............4...........2............6...............12
Japan................4...........2............3...............9
Russia................2...........7............3...............12
Great Britain........2............2...........3...............7
Georgia..............2............0...........1...............3
Czech Republic.....2.............0...........0...............2
France...............1.............7...........3...............11
North Korea.........1.............2...........4...............7
Azerbaijan..........1..............2...........0...............3
Netherlands.........1.............1............3...............5

news.bbc.co.uk/sport

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Rebecca Adlington became the first female British swimmer to win gold in the Olympics since the Rome Olympics of 1960.

She beat America's Katie Hoff to the finish in the 400m freestyle. Britain's Jo Jackson - Rebecca Adlington's best friend - finished third in what was a remarkable Final for Team GB.

Anybody who beats a yank is good in my books! :lol: