Vaughan quits as England captain as his team lose to SA for first time since 1965

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
CRICKET

Michael Vaughan today stood down as the captain of the England Test team. Yesterday England were beaten in a Series against South Africa for the first time in England since 1965.

Vaughan became captain of England in 2003, taking over from Nasser Hussain.

Also, Paul Collingwood has quit as the captain of the England one-day team.

Vaughan quits as England Test captain

BBC
3rd August 2008

An emotional Michael Vaughan earlier today: Vaughan resigns as England Test captain, saying it is both the hardest and the easiest decision he has made. Paul Collingwood has also retired as England One Day captain

1st Innings
England: 231
South Africa: 314

2nd Innings
England: 363
South Africa: 283-5

South Africa win by 5 wickets.
South Africa lead Series 2-0 with one game remaining.

A tearful Michael Vaughan has resigned as England Test captain after five years, saying it was both the hardest and the easiest decision he had made.

Vaughan added: "I've put my heart and soul into the job but my head is telling me to pack it in."

He confirmed he would not play in the final Test at The Oval, where England face South Africa on Thursday.

Paul Collingwood has quit as one-day captain. A captain for Thursday's Test will be announced on Monday.

The England and Wales Cricket Board were in discussions on Sunday about whether the replacement would be temporary or permanent, but Vaughan will certainly not lead his side again.

Vaughan will take a short break from the game before returning to play for Yorkshire and he hopes to resume his England career as a batsman if he regains his best form.

There was no immediate confirmation, though much speculation, about whether Kevin Pietersen would take over as England's Test and one-day captain on a long-term basis.

National selector Geoff Miller ideally wants one man to do both jobs.

Vaughan, 33, made his Test debut in South Africa in 1999, and captained his country for the first time at Lord's.

He struggled to contain his emotions on two occasions as he answered questions from journalists at the National Cricket Performance Centre at Lougborough.

He said: "When I spoke to my dad this morning he said you can walk away a proud lad. So I really want to thank my mum and dad.

"I hope this decision will prolong my career. Hopefully this will make my last few years an exciting time. I won’t be at The Oval, I need a few weeks away from the game."

He revealed he had first considered resigning at the start of the year during the tour of New Zealand, when England came back from 1-0 down to win 2-1.

Vaughan said: "In New Zealand I had a few thoughts that I might go. It is a fairytale to captain your country but it hasn't had a fairytale ending. I know that it is the right time because my mind told me it was. My body is working well but my mind is not.

"I wish whoever gets the job all the luck in the world, it's a great privilege."

Vaughan's decision came a day after England lost the third Test to South Africa, and with it the series. It was their third series loss in their last five rubbers.

He went on: "We've beaten New Zealand twice but lost to three big teams. I want to take this little break and then come back and finish the season for Yorkshire.

"I have to score runs like everyone else and put myself in the frame for selection. I believe these will be the best years of my playing career. I won't hit any balls for a few weeks but then I want to come back and score some runs."

He said his decision had shocked his team-mates, still crestfallen after events at Edgbaston on Saturday when England looked poised for victory at tea.

"It came as a huge surprise for the players. The one regret is that I didn't stand in front of them yesterday. They were completely gutted in the dressing room and I didn't have it in me. I hope they respect my decision."

Vaughan said he had made a decision earlier in the summer to quit if his team were unable to beat South Africa, and he delivered on his promise to himself.

He said: "There have been people who I have talked to but once your mind is made up it is hard to go back. I've always gone on my gut instinct – I've played my best innings on gut instinct – and this was the right time.

"I haven't been involved in any discussions [over the new captain]. I just had to make this decision because it was the right one.

"Whoever gets the privilege to captain his country will need a bit of time to establish himself as a lead. The England team really needs someone to lead them in the right direction.

"I've tried to be me throughout the whole period as captain. One of the things that has really hurt me in the last six months is that I haven't been me.

"A big disappointment for me is that I haven't managed to get through to next year. Whoever gets the job will have about nine matches before the Ashes so he will be inexperienced but will have fresh ideas."

Hugh Morris, managing director of the England team, said of Vaughan: "He was undoubtedly the catalyst for regaining the Ashes in 2005.

"His legacy will be felt for many years to come.

We expect him to play a significant role in English cricket in the future.

"Michael led from the front and led with honesty and integrity every step of the way.

"He took the England captaincy to new heights. Michael was the best possible ambassador for the game and his record as captain speaks volumes for the character he instilled in the dressing room."

South Africa captain Graeme Smith, who had barely started in his own job when Vaughan replaced Nasser Hussain for the second Test against South Africa at Lord's in 2003, said: "It has come as a shock to me. "I have the highest regard for him as person, sportsman and leader. It is a great loss for world cricket."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport