Forgotten your jodphurs, girls? Showjumping uses desperate efforts to find 21st Cent

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Showjumping is trying to update its stuffy image - by persuading two of its young female riders to strip off for a photoshoot.....

Forgotten your jodhpurs, girls? Showjumping makes a desperate bid to find a new 21st Century image

By Ian Stafford
20th July 2008
Daily Mail

It's not a pose that you can easily imagine David Broome striking.

But in a desperate attempt to update the stuffy image of showjumping, the sport’s bosses have persuaded two of the top young female riders to strip off for a photoshoot.

Gone are the traditional red tunic, white top and jodhpurs familiar from the Seventies when millions would watch the action on TV, with commentary from the gentlemanly Raymond Brooks-Ward.

Showy jumpers: Laura Renwick, left, and Georgie Strutton pose in one of the racy new promotional shots

Instead, Laura Renwick and Georgie Strutton pose in tight polo tops, knee-high black boots and not a lot else.

Laura, 33, is ranked 12th in the UK with many senior wins to her credit, while Georgie, 21, is a European Young Rider Team gold medallist.

As well as this photo with a horse outside a stable, they are pictured holding whips and lying in the hay.

Horsing around: Laura and Georgie pose in tight tops and knee-high black boots

The pictures are to publicise the Barclays Wealth British Masters International at Chester Racecourse.

Maria Clayton, the British Show Jumping Association’s head of communications, said: ‘People kept saying to me that to raise the profile of our sport to the level it was in the Seventies I should showcase some of the girls who compete in it.

‘With Laura and Georgie we’ve done just that. Not only are they extremely beautiful but also exceptionally talented with both of them competing in Britain with considerable success.

Pole position: Georgie gives new meaning to mucking out

‘Hopefully these photos will prove that the misconception people have about showjumping being “stuffy” is just that, a misconception that couldn’t be further from the truth.’

Such is the association’s fervour to do away with that dreaded stuffiness that at the Chester event in a fortnight’s time 100 years of tradition will be swept away.

Riding jackets will be replaced by different coloured polo shirts with the riders’ names on the back.

Roll in the hay: The well-groomed pair clasp their whips as they have a lie-down

The riders will be interviewed both before and after they complete their rounds, and they will enter the arena to their favourite piece of music played from the Tannoy system – at which point the crowd will be encouraged to sing, clap and even dance in the stands.

In between competitions the spectators will be entertained by dancers.

The opportunity to bet, previously a minimal part of showjumping events, will suddenly become a major feature as well.

Chester, which has a capacity of 10,000 in its grandstand alone, has been chosen partly because of its betting facilities.

Riding high: Georgie in more familiar mode

dailymail.co.uk

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
sick there is no need for this form of vulgarity, if somethings worth watching its worth watching, no need to post ****s all over everything, just to turn heads male head any ways, this is just the state of the world we live in prostitute everything ,jodhpurs are fine stick with them

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
We have become a civilization of wh0res and wh0re mongers.

The best way to control people is to let them think their behaviour is their own idea. So women don't have to be ****s and suck c0ck; they just want to do it... it means they're liberated if they volunteer to be objects... lmao - how retarded can you get?

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
We have become a civilization of wh0res and wh0re mongers.

The best way to control people is to let them think their behaviour is their own idea. So women don't have to be ****s and suck c0ck; they just want to do it... it means they're liberated if they volunteer to be objects... lmao - how retarded can you get?

Your right, lets lock them in Burqas!

Women are meant to be pure and not allowed to have the same desires and actions as men.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Your right, lets lock them in Burqas!

Women are meant to be pure and not allowed to have the same desires and actions as men.

Really? When was the last time you dressed like a **** or wore a Burqas?

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've been giving this some thought.

First of all, it struck me as a bit tacky to need to strip down to endorse your sport, but, volleyball, tennis, etc much all do it... some on the court, some off the court in magazines like Maxim, Stuff, etc. Men don't seem to complain about cheerleaders at football games. Beckham has done a nude shoot. I'm sure he's not the first man to do so. What really got my brain ticking about the reality of it, whether or not it is truly disproportionate to what other sports do, is quandary's use of the term 'vulgar'. What about those pictures was 'vulgar' exactly? I thought the pics themselves... if you had no idea of the reason they were done, were almost cute.

The second thing that struck me askew was the use of the term 'we have become'. I just spent two weeks in Paris, touring Versailles, the Louvre, le Musee d'Erotisme (okay, that's not on your normal tourist maps, but it was cool), and just taking in the architecture in the streets of Paris. We haven't 'become' anything. 80% of the paintings that hang in the Louvre seem to hang there only if they are an astounding representation of 1 of 2 things.... death, or nudity. And I'm sure I don't need to explain that these are not NEW works of art. Statues at Versailles, artwork at Versailles... same thing.... nudity, or war. Le Musee d'Erotisme... well, again, violence and nudity and lots of sex, ranging across centuries of artifacts.

The only thing we've 'become' in modern society is unrealistic about the driving forces behind humanity, and the truth about what holds our interest.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Really? When was the last time you dressed like a **** or wore a Burqas?

assuming **** means "I prostituted myself", back when I was younger and single I'd go around topless in the summer to show off the six pack. I would chase pretty much any skirt with a pretty smile.

As for Burqa? When did I say I would wear one, I said your post seemed to imply women shouldn't act like men but should be forced to remain out of sight in burqas.

People always think women should be modest but never think men should act the same.