Euro 2008: Poland's Prime Minister makes death threat to British referee

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Poland's disgraceful Prime Minister said he is ready to KILL British referee Howard Webb after Webb awarded Austria a penalty in the last minute of the game.

Poland were heading for a 1-0 when a foul occurred in the penalty area. Webb awarded Austria a penalty - which they scored. The match finished 1-1.

UEFA, though, back Webb, saying he made the right decision in awarding the penalty.

Pole PM 'kill' fury at UK ref

Anger ... PM Tusk and ref Howard Web

By CHRIS SEMPLE
14 Jun 2008

The Sun

POLAND’S Prime Minister said he was ready to KILL after a "scandalous" last minute penalty was awarded against his country’s team by a British referee.

The decision by Howard Webb led to Austria drawing 1-1 in Thursday’s clash during Euro 2008.

And yesterday PM Donald Tusk described it as "an obvious error", adding: "As the Prime Minister I have to be balanced and collected. But last night I was speaking very differently about the whole thing. I wanted to kill."

The penalty was given after Polish midfielder Mariusz Lewandowski apparently hauled down Austrian defender Sebastian Prodi.

Lewandowski said: "It’s a scandalous decision. The ref should have shown him yellow for cheating. He leaned on me, went off balance and fell."

Poland are now bottom of their group.

Ruling body UEFA back Mr Webb, 36, saying: "We don’t think it’s controversial that a player is pulled down and a penalty is given."

thesun.co.uk