Penguins stave off elimination with triple OT win

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Adam Hall celebrates with teammates Maxime Talbot and Jarkko Ruutu during the Stanley Cup finals against the Detroit Red Wings in Detroit, Monday, June 2, 2008.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe.../stanley_cup_final_080602/20080603?hub=Canada

DETROIT -- The Pittsburgh Penguins will live to see another day.

Petr Sykora scored 9:57 into triple overtime to give Pittsburgh a 4-3 win over Detroit in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final.

Detroit rallied to take a 3-2 lead in the third period, with Brian Rafalski scoring the go-ahead goal 9:23 into the frame.

But Maxime Talbot scored with 35 seconds left in regulation to force extra time.

At 109 minutes 57 seconds, it was the fifth-longest Stanley Cup game ever.

With a win, the Red Wings could have clinched their fourth Stanley Cup title in the past 11 seasons, and their 11th championship in franchise history.

But they didn't.... he he....

That was an impressive game I have to say... certainly went back and forth. I made it through the first OT, but went to bed once that was over, since I had to work today. Good thing I didn't stay up for two more OT's.... geez...

But now I believe the next two games will be in Pittsburgh.... so they have a better chance to come back, that's for sure, however it'll be still difficult I imagine..... if they win the next two, then they'll get the cup celebration with a home team....

I had to laugh and cheer at the same time with that last goal in the 3rd.... They were getting ready to haul out the cup for Detroit, polishing it all off, and the whole crowd was cheering...... THEN BAM! Shattered that.... lol.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I love watching the Detroit red Wings play, they are a complete, and talented team, who
play the game as a team, supporting each other all the time, sharp crisp passes, lots of
speed, and a sound defence that is second to none.

I hope Pittsburg don't luck out now and manage to win this thing, cause if they do, it will
be soley because of their goalie, as their team is not nearly as talented as Detroit, and they don't have a smell of winning, unless Fleury does it for them.

I was very dissapointed when that goal went in with about 40 odd seconds left. Detroit
had 'no' luck at all in that game, no rebounds, no pucks bouncing off anyone into the net,
but the shots on goal were overwhelmingly higher than Pittsburg. This series has brought

out the imbalance in Pittsburg's system, some great talent, and some 'not so good' players, but
Fleury has definitely proved that he will be a great goalie for years and years, so they have
the most important item to keep building on.

It's a good series, and one which I was interested in finding out the comparison between
these two teams, now I know, and even if Pittsburg win, Detroit will still be, by far, the
better team, so I hope they can do it in the next game. But it would have been nice if
they had won at home, more exciting for them, and their fans.

Next game in Pittsburg, then back to Detroit, as Detroit has home game advantage, as they were the leagues
overall winner for the season.

GO WINGS GO

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would like to congratulate the Detroit Red Wings, who won the stanley cup tonight,
and, again outplayed and outshot the Pittsburg Penguins, and won the playoffs in 6
games.

I love it, and Henrik Zetterberg in my opinion is the best player in the NHL, and tonight
he won the con smythe trophy, as the best player in the playoffs, and the stanley cup,and the selke trophy as the best defensive forward. He is just as good on defence as he is on
offence, and is played on the power play, penalty killing and in many important defensive roles, and
then becomes the best player on offence, so you can't ask for much more than that from a
player.

I can finally take a break from hockey now, but couldn't do that till the playoffs ended.

Last edited:

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Great game tonight. Pittsburgh gave it a good run near the end, but too little too late. Hats off to our home boy Daniel Cleary. The first Newfoundlander to get his name on Le Coupe de Stanley. Harbour Grace will be celebrating hard in the coming days.

Three cheers for the Detroit Redwings.......