Found: Earliest photo of a national football team

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A photograph taken in March 1876 is probably the earliest ever photo of the England football team - and probably the earliest of ANY national football team.

The England football team is the oldest nation football team in the world, formed 6 months before the next oldest, Scotland. The first internation football match took place in 1872 between England and Scotland and the game finished 0-0.

England's first XI back in 1876

Tache of the day ... The England team pose for historic snap in March 1876. The photo was taken just before England's game with Scotland, only the 5th ever international game. Scotland won 3-0 and leapfrogged England to the top of the world rankings.

By JAMES CLENCH
The Sun

THEY earned nothing, didn’t own a single car between them, had never heard of WAGs — and their idea of bling was a fob-watch.

But this 132-year-old photo may be the first ever taken of an England national football team.

The changing face of footie ... today's England stars

Sombre and suited, the 11 sporting gentlemen stare out from the grainy image — a million miles from the £130,000-a-week, mansion-owning whizkids of today.

The amazing 1876 picture, which pre-dates others of the England side by almost 20 years, was found hidden in local newspaper archives.

Proud

It had been sent to the Derbyshire Football Express by one of the players, full-time accountant Edgar Field, top left in the snap, in 1926.

But after it was published that year it remained undiscovered until author and amateur historian Peter Seddon stumbled upon it during his research for a football book.

Peter, 51, of Littleover, Derby, said yesterday: “I knew it could be quite big. It wouldn’t have meant anything to most people, but I do lots of research and knew I’d never seen one that old.

“I checked with the Football Association, and the historians there confirmed it was the oldest by some years. I feel very proud.”

The snap, found in a local studies library, shows Field and nine of his fellow players at the time of only the fifth international — played between England and Scotland.
One of the men is the ref, known then as the UMPIRE.

The 11th player is thought to have taken the photo.

The match took place on March 4, 1876, at Glasgow’s West of Scotland Cricket Ground before 15,000 fans.

The England team, the world’s oldest, had been formed four years earlier, six months before Scotland. All players were amateurs.

The umpire had no whistle and the goalposts were joined by a length of tape instead of a modern crossbar. But in a grim warning of troubles to come, England lost 3-0 to the Scots — who leap-frogged them to top the world football rankings.

Embarrassed England featured a new-look side for the return game, played at The Oval, London, a week later. But this time they lost 6-1. England’s white-clad players included insurance clerks, wine merchants and even a future PRIEST.

It is thought full-back Field, who played for Reading and then-great Clapham Rovers, may have scored England’s first own-goal.

David Barber, official historian for the English Football Association, was stunned by the ancient snap.

He said: “I have seen pictures of England teams dating back to 1893, but certainly nothing this old.

“I have to say that it is an extraordinary find because I have never seen anything close to 1876.”

1876 vs 2008

LIFE could scarcely have been more different for the soccer stars of 1876 and 2008.

Wages then: Nil
Wages now: Squillions

Transport then: Horse and carriage
Transport now: A Bentley Continental

Style then: Suit, ’tache
Style now: Designer jeans, blonde in tow

Future career then: Wine merchant, priest
Future career now: A wino or a pundit, Gary

thesun.co.uk