China Olympics

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
From Times Online

March 10, 2008

Haile Gebrselassie pulls out of Beijing marathon because of pollution
Ashling O’Connor, Olympics Correspondent

The marathon world record-holder said yesterday that he was unlikely to compete at the Beijing Olympics because China’s air pollution would damage his health.
The Ethiopian Haile Gebrselassie, 34, is a favourite for a gold medal this summer but is likely to focus instead on the 10,000 metres because he suffers from asthma.
“The pollution in China is a threat to my health and it would be difficult for me to run 42km in my current condition,” he said. “But I am not pulling out of the Olympics altogether.”
Jos Hermens, his agent, added that Gebrselassie, who has lung problems and a pollen allergy, did not want to damage his chances in the marathon at the London Games in 2012 and would confirm his decision next month once he was assured of a place in the 10,000 metres.

Probably can't get the steroids out of his system in time.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
From Times Online

March 10, 2008

Haile Gebrselassie pulls out of Beijing marathon because of pollution
Ashling O’Connor, Olympics Correspondent

The marathon world record-holder said yesterday that he was unlikely to compete at the Beijing Olympics because China’s air pollution would damage his health.
The Ethiopian Haile Gebrselassie, 34, is a favourite for a gold medal this summer but is likely to focus instead on the 10,000 metres because he suffers from asthma.
“The pollution in China is a threat to my health and it would be difficult for me to run 42km in my current condition,” he said. “But I am not pulling out of the Olympics altogether.”
Jos Hermens, his agent, added that Gebrselassie, who has lung problems and a pollen allergy, did not want to damage his chances in the marathon at the London Games in 2012 and would confirm his decision next month once he was assured of a place in the 10,000 metres.

Probably can't get the steroids out of his system in time.

Well we know it's a lie because pollution is a hoax.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wonder how his steroids would turn up compared to the steroids athletes use to cheat. I've never thought about an asthmatic competing. Can they differentiate between the steroid types I wonder.

(I wonder how many times I can say wonder as I sit here and wonder?)