Rugby: England drop nightclubbing Cipriani from team for game against Scotland

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
London Wasps star Danny Cipriani has been dropped from the England team for Saturday's Six Nations game against Scotland after being spotted coming out of a nightclub in the early hours of this morning.

Cipriani was due to make his full debut for England, but he will be in the Wasps team to play Harlequins in the Premiership on Sunday.

Six Nations Championship 2008

VS

Scotland VS England - Saturday 8th March

Cipriani axed from England team

London Wasps star Danny Cipriani was set to make his first England start

Danny Cipriani has been dropped from England's team to face Scotland because of what the Rugby Football Union has described as "inappropriate behaviour".

The Wasps player was set to make his first England start on Saturday after being named at full-back.

The matter is believed to revolve around Cipriani, 20, being pictured leaving a London nightclub soon after midnight on Thursday morning.

Iain Balshaw, who was dropped to make way for Cipriani, is recalled.

Wasps have said they are disheartened by the decision to drop Cipriani and have included him in their squad for their Premiership game at home to Harlequins on Sunday.

Director of rugby Ian McGeechan said: "We are hugely disappointed with the decision to withdraw Danny from the England team, and similarly disappointed for Danny himself.

"He did not stay inside the nightclub for any length of time and he was not drinking. He was at worst naive in his actions, but no more than that.

"Given the circumstances, a measured response to his actions was required and I think this is a very harsh decision."

The RFU says no further disciplinary action will be taken against Cipriani but he has been warned and advised about his future conduct.

England head coach Brian Ashton said: "I have taken the decision regarding Danny and the matter is now closed. I will keep an open mind on selecting him for future games."

Balshaw's place on the replacements bench for Saturday's Six Nations game at Murrayfield has been taken by Sale fly-half Charlie Hodgson. Cipriani has won two England caps, coming on as a replacement in the 2008 Six Nations games against Wales and Italy.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport