Ephin Canucks

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The team has many injuries, mainly defencemen, but, tonight the loss wasn't because the
defence was weak, the loss is the fault of the players up front, not getting the job done,
and the first line, twins and naslund, were 'not' strong on the puck tonight, lost it many
times, were pushed around, and that is the reason for the loss.
Our second line played great.
Our goaltending was good, not amazing, as he can be.

The team we played is second to the bottom of the NHL, everyone is beating them, but
I didn't feel good before the game, and now I know why.

Nonis needs to do something and soon. We have lots of mediocre players, and of course
naslund is a thing of the past, but he 'can' score goals, if he has the right players around him, but they have to be of the Joe Thornton level, and where do we get players like that.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'd like to see them try to get Mats Sundin. Perhaps Naslund and a decent blue liner in exchange. They need more offense.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'd like to see them try to get Mats Sundin. Perhaps Naslund and a decent blue liner in exchange. They need more offense.

I like the idea of Sundin too, but not as a rental player, he would have to give some
guarantee that he would sign next year, as we would have to give up a high draft pick,
and some good young players, I don't think Naslund would be part of a trade. He would
have to waive his 'no trade' clause, and on top of that, he doesn't have much to give any
team right now, and I don't think anyone would want him, unless it was for almost nothing. I think he will play out his contract, then he is gone, along with Mat Cooke, who
also runs out of contract this year. Morrison could resign for less money, as he is a good
second line center, or third, if needed.
I would rather sign Peter Forsberg, as it is just money for him, and no players, he stated
today that he wants his agent to talk to NHL teams now, so there will be a dog fight to
sign him, he is not quite in game shape, but his foot problems apparantly have been fixed. The only other thing Nonis can do is a multi player trade with someone, which
might include Naslund, but I don't think we would get a Sundin with that, but never
say never I guess.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
well, after tonights games, we are now tied with Nashville for 8th place in the conference,
BUT, that actually puts us in 9th place (out of playoff spot), as Nashville has one more win than canucks do.

We play in Dallas on Tuesday, they just defeated Calgary tonight, and are playing very well
at present, so we will have our hands full, then we play Atlanta on Thursday, (hopefully Kovelchuk is still injured then), then we come
home and play Colorado next Saturday. They are ahead of us now, as they beat St. Louis
tonight, and they are playing well without Sakic,Smythe and Statsny, so, when they return
the team will be in great shape, I don't think we will catch them again this year.

So, at the moment we are 'out' of the playoffs, feels kind of lonely down there, only Edmonton behind us now in our division.

Oh yeah, and Minnesota beat Columbus tonight, Gaborik got two goals, and they looked
really good, just flying, so they are moving away from everyone in our division at the moment.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The talk about Forsberg is starting to heat up. Nonis was the first team to talk to him in
July, and again last week in Sweden, other teams have been eliminated from the list, and
Vancouver remains on the short list.
I'm not allowing myself to get excited over this, BUT there is a chance.
He would fit very comfortably on this team immediately, as with some teams, they would
have to figure out who he would play with, and who they would have to get rid of, to
make room for him, we don't have any of those problems.
It's only money for him, no players have to go anywhere, but naturally there would be
someone sent back to Manitoba, or (get rid of Cooke,Isbister) in my opinion.

UPDATE: Forsberg announced today that he will not be playing in the NHL this year, as his foot is not 100%

UPDATE: Forsberg now says he might be coming afterall, thought it was suppose to be women who changed their
minds all the time.!!!!!

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The trade deadline is coming up next Tuesday. The rumour today is that Tampa Bay has
offered 'Brad Richards' to Vancouver for 'Cory Schneider' and 'Luc Bourdon', sounds like
a good deal to me, but just a 'rumour'. Makes sense though as, T.B. needs a good goalie
and defencemen, and if Nonis can figure out how to come up the money to pay Richards
salary, we need him. He will play much better when he gets out of T. Bay.

My guess for Mats Sundin, is that, he will go to Anaheim, and next fall he will return to play
in Toronto, along with Brian Burke, (as gen. manager)

Any other ideas out there?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, Vancouver didn't do much trading. They dealt away Matt Cooke for a slightly younger player of about the same calibre.

Are the Canucks going to do anything in the play-offs? I have no idea. Almost every team in the NHL has scored more goals than the Canucks, but few teams have allowed fewer goals than the Vancouver team. A big factor there is the goaltending of Luongo. To go anywhere in the play-offs, the Canucks need Luongo at the top of his game, and they need scoring from more than the twins and Naslund and they haven't got it as far as I can tell. I don't think the Canucks will get past the first round of the play-offs.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What I am concerned about from this point on, is the performance of the Sedins, as the
games are more intense now, harder checking, more defensive, and as playoffs draw near,
it will continue like that.
The Sedins games are now falling off, they are not doing what they were doing all year,
their nifty plays are not happening, they are getting frustrated, getting knocked down
much more, and if they can't step up at this time of year, we will have no scoring at all,
as Naslund can't do anything on any other line, so guess we'll have to leave it up to
Burrows!!!!!:smile:
If the Sedins can't perform from here on in, I would hope for them to be traded away before next season starts.
I would like to see Morrison resigned, and I'm not sure about Naslund, we'll see how he
plays the rest of the season, he could be signed next for less money, as he is very talented, and if he is making about 2.5 mil per season, I think he should stay.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What I am concerned about from this point on, is the performance of the Sedins, as the
games are more intense now, harder checking, more defensive, and as playoffs draw near,
it will continue like that.
The Sedins games are now falling off, they are not doing what they were doing all year,
their nifty plays are not happening, they are getting frustrated, getting knocked down
much more, and if they can't step up at this time of year, we will have no scoring at all,
as Naslund can't do anything on any other line, so guess we'll have to leave it up to
Burrows!!!!!:smile:
If the Sedins can't perform from here on in, I would hope for them to be traded away before next season starts.
I would like to see Morrison re-signed, and I'm not sure about Naslund, we'll see how he
plays the rest of the season, he could be signed next for less money, as he is very talented, and if he is making about 2.5 mil per season, I think he should stay.

Somebody has to fill the space left by Bertuzzi. The Canucks need a big winger who can hold his own in the slot. The twins don't play that kind of game and neither does Naslund. The team needs a leader and I don't see one at the moment.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well, Vancouver didn't do much trading. They dealt away Matt Cooke for a slightly younger player of about the same calibre.

Are the Canucks going to do anything in the play-offs? I have no idea. Almost every team in the NHL has scored more goals than the Canucks, but few teams have allowed fewer goals than the Vancouver team. A big factor there is the goaltending of Luongo. To go anywhere in the play-offs, the Canucks need Luongo at the top of his game, and they need scoring from more than the twins and Naslund and they haven't got it as far as I can tell. I don't think the Canucks will get past the first round of the play-offs.

Well, we played Dallas in the first round last season , and we were a very equal opponant for
them, games were extremely close, and we managed to squeeze by them, this year dallas
are twice the team they were last year, and now they have Richards, so if we meet them again,they will have us for lunch, the only teams right now, I think we have a chance to get by, are Calgary and Minnesota and maybe Nashville, but if we meet any of the others, we are toast, with the exception of Detroit, if they don't get healthy by then.
I do think Nonis will make some significant changes in the off season, but the teams he was trying to deal with for deadline trades, wanted the moon for their players, so I don't blame him for not caving in for any of them. I think Pettinger will be better than Cooke,
as he is a better skater, younger and bigger, and moves the puck quite well, just needs a
little time to settle in.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was thoroughly ashamed of the canucks in yesterdays game. I have not seen them play that bad since the game I went to against Nashville this year. I sure hope this isn't a pattern,
as they have played so -so lately, so if they don't step it up tomorrow against Colorado, we
will fall under number 8 in conference.
The twins have disappeared, they can't compete in the heavy, play off type game, so if
they aren't going to show up, (maybe they just can't), our scoring is 'gone'. Maybe Nonis
is having second thoughts now, as maybe he could have had Richards if he had offered them 'both' sedin's and schneider from Manitoba, and draft picks, (just a thought), but he definitely will
have his hands full trying to figure this team out at the end of the season, as they look
very mediocre at this point.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I didn't see it but heard it was brutal. 10 shots on goal.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
At least your team is doing better than my beloved Leafs. No Sundin for you, though, which is good for me!:smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My 'guess' as to what Sundin would have done, (if he didn't use 'no trade' rule)is, go to
Anaheim for the year, then back to Toronto next year, along with Brian Burke, as new
general manager.

I don't like the rental player rule, as, a manager could make a deal with a player to go to
'whatever' team is asking for him, then he will get some young players, then come back next year, seems
very unethical to me.
There is a suggestion out there, that says, a renal player cannot return to home team until
after 'following' year, I like that idea.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canucks 6 Predators 2

Were the Canucks good or were the Predators bad? On a positive note the Canucks got goals from six different players which is a hell of a lot better than depending on the twins and Naslund like they've been doing all year I'll need another few more games like this one to be convinced that they've turned things around

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Btw Talloola, Pettinger looked pretty good. He had a goal but he could have had another one or two...