Dallaglio: Send us victorious

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England's fiercely patriotic Lawrence Dallaglio has asked all England fans watching Saturday night's World Cup Final on TV to sing the national anthem - "God Save The Queen" - at the same time as the team does.

England also have a new celebrity fan - country singer Kenny Rogers.....

Sing for victory ... England's Lawrence Dallaglio has asked for all fans watching on TV to sing God Save The Queen at the same time as the team does

By TONY ROCHE
in Paris
The Sun

2007 Rugby World Cup Final - England VS South Africa

VS

‘ Watch our faces when the anthem starts. Inside each jersey beats the yeoman heart of a bloody Englishman ’

RUGBY hero Lawrence Dallaglio last night called on England fans to SING the team to victory in the World Cup final – by belting out the National Anthem with the players.

The fiercely patriotic forward wants the whole country to sing God Save The Queen – and make it so loud it can be heard in Paris.

Veteran Dally believes national pride has helped sweep the team into the final after they were written off as no-hopers.

They are just 80 playing minutes from the ultimate glory, and Dallaglio reckons passion will be as important as skill come kick-off at 8pm Saturday.

Pride ... players sing their hearts out for the National Anthem

In a stirring message to fans, he said: “Watch us when the anthems start up, watch the facial expressions of our players. Never doubt that inside every jersey beats the yeoman heart of a bloody proud Englishman.

“The South Africa boys will line up alongside us. “ When their anthem strikes up, their shirt seams will be bursting with pride just like ours will."

“So open your lungs and get singing – when we start, you start, and be heard all the way to Paris.”

England are reigning world champs following their 2003 triumph in Australia. Since then retirements, injuries and personnel changes have seen the side slump to SEVENTH in the global rankings.

But Dallaglio, 35, insisted that the important thing was how the team plays when it really mattered.

He said: “You need ability to be successful in sport, you need talent, hard work, good preparation, dedication and a fair old slice of luck.

Passion ... Lawrence celebrates after
semi-final victory over France

“But as the late, great Liverpool manager Bill Shankly once said, if you have the body of a lion but a heart like a carroway seed, you’ll win b****r all. “ Unless you’ve ever been invited to play for your country, unless someone has sent your senses reeling around your room with one phone call, it’s impossible to know how it feels to play for England.

“I have 84 caps yet I feel as if I’m making my debut. It never matters how many, it just matters that England wants you again and you so badly want to be there.

“There’s a lot of claptrap talked these days about being ‘European,’ about no more borders, about writing some Euro-dirge to replace all the other glorious national anthems. Try selling that to the likes of Martin Corry, Phil Vickery, Jonny Wilkinson or Jason Robinson. These guys are warriors with the Cross of St George on their hearts.

“They will go out against South Africa and put their bodies on the line, not caring about damage or pain if it earns England one precious inch of an advantage.” Dallaglio, a former captain and a crucial part of that triumphant 2003 team, added: “When you represent your country, you are the hearts and minds of millions of fans.

“I remember having the oddest thought four years ago, 24 hours after we’d beaten Australia to become world champions.

“I wanted, just for a few minutes, to have been in a pub or clubhouse with the fans back home, watching us win and experiencing their pride, their passion.

“When we were stuffed 36-0 by South Africa a month ago, Martin Corry was asked what message he could deliver to supporters.

Excited

Support ... Kenny Rogers

“Martin replied that however devastated they were, it could never equal the feelings of utter heartbreak in our changing room. And they could take his word for it that England would bounce back. His word was rock-solid.

“I noted with distaste recently that a Premiership footballer said that international sport is overrated – he had one cap and that would do for him. I have never met a man in rugby union ever to express that opinion.”

Country crooner Kenny Rogers last night sent a good luck message to the team – and joked that if they win, it would be thanks to HIM.

Kenny’s hit The Gambler has been adopted as the team’s unofficial anthem. The American singer said: “I can’t tell you how excited I am for the English rugby team and how flattered I am to be included in their World Cup journey. I’m looking forward to watching the final. If England win I intend to take full credit.”

thesun.co.uk