Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Well do we?

Given the exorbitant costs related to this public relations and international dick swinging contest, I say no.

Athletes have multiple chances to compete against each other every year. In hockey, for example, Canadians care more about the World Cup (when we beat their arses anyway) than the pc olympic version. These 'games' came full circle back in Athens a few years ago anyway. Enough is enough. Too much money wasted that could be applied elsewhere maybe?

Here's one view from a few years back:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/08/13/roly_ed3_.php

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm a sap. I love pomp and ceremony. I adore tradition.

I think bringing the world together under one roof, if even just symbolically, for two weeks is one of the few truly unifying things we engage in.

And I love that even people who don't watch all the other sports the rest of the years, pay attention to the Olympics. I love that it exposes kids to a wide variety of sports. I love that it represents women in sports, unlike day to day media.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I'm in the "HELL No" camp on this one. The whole process of site selection, with all the kickbacks and graft etc should embarass anyone who has some notion of the Olympics representing something "pure"

I would support the Olympics ONLY if they were returned to what they were in the beginning- folks from all walks of life coming out and giving their best shot with NOTHING to "win" except the satisfaction of being the best. The HUGE amounts of money swirling about the whole silly spectacle turns my stomach, the weird useless construction that has to be done is a giant waste of time money and effort....

The WORST part in my opinion (and this is NOT a slam on Karrie here, to be sure) is the odd phoney notion that somehow the whole world is "united" by the thing somehow- it's like racists having one day to love "people of colour" and thinking that somehow, since they pretend to be tolerant on one day, they somehow aren't racists. The "unity" thing is oddly quaint when the real vital stats are how many of what kind of medal your country won. In essence, the "winners" of the world unite, I suppose, but the rest of the world is losers that represent merely opponents to conquer

I was hoping that the Olympics in fact would have gone under by now, how they can be justified in any way past a financial statement is beyond me

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Olympic Games are just another industry, typically the winners fall into one of 3 categories: professional athletes (see, hockey, basketball), sophisticated dopers/cheaters, or extremely lucky amateurs.

It's pretty much a waste of money, the 'status' of holding the games is really a chance to throw away a lot of money, and the whole thing about paying athletes to spend their lives training for the Olympics is really a waste.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Like so many other traditions that we've inherited from our forefathers, the Olympics have become a bastardized version of its initial intent. I'd love to see the event cleaned up and continue to thrive as a gift of heritage to our future generations. I'd much rather see a discussion around how to restore honour to its name. We've retained so few of the good things from our roots - couldn't this one be preserved as it was intended?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I tend to agree with Karrie and Zan that bringing a hundred and fifty odd countries together in the name of sports and sportsmanship has got to be a good idea. These things seem to cycle between extremes. I remember when the Olympic bosses wanted to take back a gold medal because a skier (Nancy Green) stood up her skis with the labels showing. Now the bribery and bs takes place almost in the open. It has become a very expensive proposition for countries just to enter a team, let alone hosting the games. Serious reform is needed to clean up the games....we could start by firing the entire committee and starting over.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Have the Olympic Games permanently held at its country of birth: Greece. There will be much less corruption if there wasn't a bidding war.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Have the Olympic Games permanently held at its country of birth: Greece. There will be much less corruption if there wasn't a bidding war.

That's a great idea! They started it after all... And it would stop all the fighting, pouting and fussing... and fuzzy deals done in dark alleys...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I must admit you guys have gotten to me to think on this one --- if the Olympics were gone tomorrow, I really wouldn't miss it. After all much of its original spirit (that is, one of good sportsmanship and amateurism) is now gone.. What's left is a exihibition where certain people or countries profit financially or where certain political systems use the games as a showcase for demonstrating to others that their way is the absolute best in the world.

Where's the sportsmanship? The good, clean fun? The spirited brotherhood that used to characterize the games??

Yes, it remains a spectacle with much pageantry. But is it truly fun anymore?? Somehow, I cannot find it if it still exists.

While the games are being played, I will watch. But if it disappeared tomorrow, I confess that it would no tbe much of a personal loss.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Ireland still does not have pro sports and yet they do very well in international soccer and rugby tests. They are world champs in club sports such as hurling and Gaelic. I guess this proves you don't need pro sports in order to have sports fun and success.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Gee, I don't know.
I said yes but now that I read all of you're folks comments...eh
When I went to Greece last year, I learned that the victor of the Olympic is given a Statue and a forever mark of glory (also food until death thing). Can we have that today?
Nice statues, not naked :D

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I love the Olympics. I love to see Canada win at Hockey, I love to see the worlds fastest man. To me the corruption is all background noise. I just love the sports. I think though that we could perhaps do away with some sports in it like figure skating which are too dependent on corrupt judges.

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
Ireland still does not have pro sports and yet they do very well in international soccer and rugby tests. They are world champs in club sports such as hurling and Gaelic. I guess this proves you don't need pro sports in order to have sports fun and success.

You can't really compare a country of only 6 million inhabitants as a beacon for every thing anti pro sports - there is not a huge amount of pro sports for a reason...lack of population.

BTW Ireland does have professional Rugby union sides - They play in the magners league along with Wales and Scotland.

Being World champs at Hurling and Gaelic football doesn't really say much - Scotland could be called World shinty champs and Australia World champs at Aussie rules, the point being if only one country plays a game being called "world champion" is a touch pointless.

I do agree that you don't need to be professional at sports to have fun playing them

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Thanks for your reply.

I stand partly corrected on the matter of the Irish rugby league team. Note, however, that is a team and not a full league:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_rugby_league_team

It will be recalled that Russia and China (combined, over one billion people) succeeded without professional sports. Throw in the Soviet bloc with Cuba and that population figure is significantly higher. To this day, Cuba also does not have pro sports but it surpasses the USA in baseball (our national sport) and in boxing.

None of this is to say that pro sports are not fun. My contention being that the value of pro sports in this and other societies may be quite over-rated. In fact, there are sociological reports that suggest pro sports sap the energy of a society and drain resources that should be better spent on essential services. Those reports can be complicated and are outside of the scope of this thread or I would post one or two.

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
Thanks for your reply.

I stand partly corrected on the matter of the Irish rugby league team. Note, however, that is a team and not a full league:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_rugby_league_team

Ah! Rugby league and Rugby union are two different games chap. - Rugby league is played by teams of 13, Rugby union is a 15 a side game. but obviously you can have "rugby league" leagues and you can also have "rugby union" leagues
The "magners league" to which I referred you to originally is a "rugby union" league which contains from Ireland - Lienster, Ulster, Connacht and Munster (twice European champions) not forgetting the Welsh and Scots sides as well.

Russia and most of the old soviet states have had professional football (soccer in your language;-)) teams and leagues for many years ( china also now has a pro league * (British players past their prime go out there now))

* Not sure of timescale of operation

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I am well aware of the differences in rugger codes. Good for Ireland because of its one form of pro sports.

As for Russia and China, the point was that pro sports did not exist for so long and they did quite well without it.

And, of course, Cuba remains without pro sports and readily kicks Yankee butts in baseball.;-)