Canadian Golfer Paired With Woods

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Today's final of the PGA - has Stephen Ames - a Canadian - paired with Tiger Woods.

Woods is -7 and Ames is -4 - so anything could happen.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
WallyJ

Ames played a great game - he is a self-taught guy who learned from a book - a feat not many can make happen. He had Tiger on the run yesterday.... I think the heat turned everyone upside down...

I've seen Tiger play better - I enjoyed the other guy who almost caught up to him - a real showman!
(Can't remember his name right now).....

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Woody Austin. I don't agree that Ames played a great game.When he is hitting the ball at his best he is unbeatable(almost). Stephen Ames will be back,and he is a joy to listen to during interviews.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think Woody benefitted from being in the second group. Ames should've missed that putt on 18 yesterday and stayed out of Tiger pressure cooker.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Tiger was awsome, I was hoping he would win, as I didn't want him to go through the season
without winning a major.
He is also a great guy, a real cool dude, who deals with 'everything' with great class.
He is so generous with his money, and helps hundreds of thousands of kids in the inner cities
and other places as well. The more he wins the more kids will be helped, to do things they would
never have had a chance to do.

Congratulations Tiger, keep it going.

Stephan Ames had a bad start, needs to get there more times, so that he can learn how to play
in that position, as he is a great golfer, and I also love his press conferences, the media is so
'stupid' with their questions, for the most part.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks for handing me Woody Austin's name - he was a hoot - what a guy - gave some life to the selfish little game of golf

About Ames - I watched him play Friday and Saturday and he was doing extremely well - Sunday he was not at his best of course - but he earned the top spot to play with Tiger the front runner - ergo he must have done something right!

[edit] Checked his final scores - for the first three days he logged in 68 (Thursday), 68 (Friday), 69 (Saturday) and 76 (Sunday).
I think those first days were excellent and when paired with Tiger perhaps that situation and the heat got to him on the findal day.... that's golf for you.

Besides I liked him- he was gracious to the crowd - and for all the terrible tension he must have been under - he had time to interact with people.

Tiger is like a little machine - because that is how he learned golf - to play by rote - and Ames managed to get some smiles out of him....

But.... for all his good works ... getting kids into the game of golf, and his other many charities, I admire Tiger Woods ... who learned at an early age .... golf would lead him to better things.... and he was so fortunate to have parents who brought all the best to him and received it back tenfold.

Last edited: