Beckham is declared a Los Angeles Galaxy player in front of 11,000 fans

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England midfielder David Beckham was today officially declared a Los Angeles Galaxy player. The world's most famous footballer has joined LA Galaxy to raise the profile of the world's most popular team sport in the United States and to be paid a colossal £128 million.

Beckham launches football career in front of 11,000 fans

13th July 2007
Daily Mail

David Beckham launched his football career in Los Angeles today in front of 11,000 screaming fans and over 700 members of the media.

Dressed in a smart grey suit and white tie, Beckham looked thrilled by his warm welcome at the press conference - confirming Beckham mania has truly hit the United States - and will possibly be responsible for turning 'soccer' into a mainstream sport.

Sporting his trademark stubble, Beckham signed a £128 million deal to play for LA Galaxy, who are floundering second from the bottom of the table.

He will make his debut against Chelsea and remain an English International player.

Beckham, holding his white number 23 shirt, stood up to raptuous applause.

David holds up his new shirt to raptuous applause. His signing to LA Galaxy will, no doubt, raise the game's profile in the U.S.

Victoria arrived first to greet fans

Beckham expressed his gratitude to the eager fans, some of whom, has waited hours in the LA heat, for a glimpse of their hero.

"First I would like to say how honoured I am, how many people came here to see me.

"In my career, I played for the two biggest clubs in the world, Manchester United and Real Madrid, and I have played for 11 years for my country - and still am playing for my country - and I've always looked for challenges in my career and something exciting.

"My family have now moved to Los Angeles. Something we are looking forward to, something we are very proud of - in our life everything is perfect," Beckham added.

Beckham slippped up when addressing the crowd, getting his "soccer" - the American name for football - confused with "football", which is what they call their helmetted version of the game.

"For me the most important thing is my family. The second most important thing is the foo... The soccer - I will get use to that. I'm sorry," he laughed.

He added that he believed that soccer could be as big in the States as it is elsewhere in the world - a possiblilty, no doubt, his new (lowly-leagued) club will relish.

Proving her point she's not a 'miserable cow', Victoria smiles for the crowds

Wife Victoria, in a clinging pink dress, arrived several moments before her husband, with manager Simon Fuller in tow - the man believed to be responsible for the lucrative deal.

She greeted fans, intrigued no doubt, to find out more about Britain's most popular couple.

The rejuvenated England international will earn more than 50 times the average salary in Major League Soccer, with an annual basic wage of £2.75 million, and has potential yearly add-ons of £23m.

He has already sold more than 250,000 shirts for his new club LA Galaxy.

Beckham mania continues to hit LA as hundreds of fans wait enthusiastically for a glimpse of the new hero in town

Fans wave a banner combining the film 'Bend it Like Beckham' with Victoria's pet name for her husband 'Golden Balls'

The club introduced a new, all-white kit to coincide with Beckham's arrival and orders were flooding in before pictures of the strip had been released.

The shirts with his name and No23 on the back are being sold for £40 each.

Galaxy president Alexi Lalas said: "That is a great start. People were buying them unseen because we are rebranding.

"There is an incredible interest in the Galaxy right now and in seeing the new Beckham jersey.

"Before we couldn't compete, now, it is driven by Beckham and the coolness factor of a US team.”

Beckham's presence at Real Madrid sold more than a million shirts for the club in his first six months there and they recouped his £24.5m transfer fee from Manchester United in the first season.

dailymail.co.uk

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I think Soccer is a great sport because it is inclusive of so many players and kids can start in the early years to play. If any sport is kind to its players - I think Soccer is the best (or should I be calling it Football here?

I hope Beckham brings even more interest in the sport to the US as there are so many excellent players from other nations living here who would love to see it played at top calibre -

I think the couple are very glamorous and hope they enjoy L.A. (ick).... but no doubt they won't be spending all their time stuck in that town...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Vicky sure is a fox. Yum!

As for Beck, yeah, he's OK. He'll bring in a few more fans to the game but here in the Mid West he's not well known or cared for all that much.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is nothing more boring than soccer, fields to big not enough rough stuff and it takes all day for the ball to go from one end of the field to the other.
Football, hockey and basketball are all much better sports

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yeah, that's what most of us around here say about soccer, but with it being the most popular sport
in the world, with the most fans, maybe we should give it more respect.

My dad played pro soccer up and down the west coast back in the late l920's. And yes, it really is
football. Anyone know where the name soccer came from?, and why is football called football when
it is mostly handled with the hands.

I would love to see soccer make it really big in North America, but it had it's chance years ago when
we had the whitecaps, then what happened, it fizzled. Maybe that won't happen this time.
Canada better do a better job building a competitive team, they aren't doing very well.

This arrival of Beckam is a great 'kick off' for the beginning of something big, I hope.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well it would be more interesting if you just learn the words to the songs, attend a few matches and join in with your team's cheering hooligans to beat the hell out of those damn asschiggers cheering for the dog drool that is the other team. And don't forget, if your team loses, once you get outside, smashy smashy. :lol:

There is nothing more boring than soccer, fields to big not enough rough stuff and it takes all day for the ball to go from one end of the field to the other.
Football, hockey and basketball are all much better sports

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
There is nothing more boring than soccer, fields to big not enough rough stuff ....
Football, hockey .. are all much better sports

Gridiron and hockey are so manly that the players will only take to the field wearing 20lbs of padding and a big helmet.
Rugby and field hockey - to all intents and purposes the same games but with out the comfort of the afore mentioned wussy pads & helmets.:lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Gridiron and hockey are so manly that the players will only take to the field wearing 20lbs of padding and a big helmet.
Rugby and field hockey - to all intents and purposes the same games but with out the comfort of the afore mentioned wussy pads & helmets.:lol:

And, if hockey players could play on cushy grass with a nice soft ball, and no hard boards around
the edge, they could shed their lifesaving uniforms, and, also the puck is frozen and when hit
with it around the head area, could be fatal, and have someone throw you down on a frozen pond
sometime, then let me know how it felt.:roll:
I know that the ground can freeze in the winter, but never to the extent of an ice rink.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I repeat - Soccer or Football is an all inclusive sport - allowing young boys and girls to begin learning at an early age - and I think this is an excellent beginning for any child who may not excel in the more skill-ability sports or individuals sports - but can work as a good team-mate with others....that is why I like soccer/football

It will generate far more interest in the nation - whether it succeeds as a great money maker I could care less. I care more than children and young adults find a competitive sport they can join and take part in.

Also in the southern states the kids can play year-round.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, that's what most of us around here say about soccer, but with it being the most popular sport
in the world, with the most fans, maybe we should give it more respect.

My dad played pro soccer up and down the west coast back in the late l920's. And yes, it really is
football. Anyone know where the name soccer came from?, and why is football called football when
it is mostly handled with the hands.

I would love to see soccer make it really big in North America, but it had it's chance years ago when
we had the whitecaps, then what happened, it fizzled. Maybe that won't happen this time.
Canada better do a better job building a competitive team, they aren't doing very well.

This arrival of Beckam is a great 'kick off' for the beginning of something big, I hope.

In Canada, the Canadian Football League was originally the Canadian Rugby Union in the 1800's. One of the original teams was a rowing club named the Argonauts out of Toronto. It would later become known as rugby-football as the game changed and more kicking was introduced, and since it was no longer traditional rugby the name was changed to exclude the word rugby. After the first world war the game became more arial with down field passing. The game has since changed considerably but is still known by one of its original names - football.

Last edited:

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
And, if hockey players could play on cushy grass with a nice soft ball, and no hard boards around
the edge, they could shed their lifesaving uniforms, and, also the puck is frozen and when hit
with it around the head area, could be fatal, and have someone throw you down on a frozen pond
sometime, then let me know how it felt.:roll:
I know that the ground can freeze in the winter, but never to the extent of an ice rink.

Fair enough - just Rugby then.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Lets be real guys - Beckham may be a star, but he is English. I think that people in the US will only start taking notice of soccer when they have a true homegrown star that is of the same calibre.

Seriously you guys should look at my chosen sport - Australian Rules Football. It requres no special equipment. And it is physical, but still very inclusive. Unike rugby, it is safe enough for kids to play. Children can take it up at an early age and love it - as this great promo shows.

And here is the adult game:

Despite what people say most rugby players do wear pads. I know, because I have played it. You can do some real damage to yourself if you don't wear them.

Australian rules football is more of a three dimensional game, so there is far less forceful front-on contact. It means that the game suits a wider range of body types - you don't have to be built like a battering ram (which I am not).

I am 6"2 and 85kg, but I am very strong. Rugby was not suited to me. I could take the hits as a second row forward, but because I am lean I would often get injured. I tried doing weights, but my metabolism makes it harder for me to build size. But I am not a small guy and I can tackle hard.

Honestly, for me Australian Rules is a faster flowing sport, much more so than soccer and high scoring. Some of the better players are every bit the athlete that Beckham is.

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
Lets be real guys - Beckham may be a star, but he is English. I think that people in the US will only start taking notice of soccer when they have a true homegrown star that is of the same calibre.

Seriously you guys should look at my chosen sport - Australian Rules Football. It requres no special equipment. And it is physical, but still very inclusive. Unike rugby, it is safe enough for kids to play. Children can take it up at an early age and love it - as this great promo shows.

And here is the adult game:

Despite what people say most rugby players do wear pads. I know, because I have played it. You can do some real damage to yourself if you don't wear them.

Australian rules football is more of a three dimensional game, so there is far less forceful front-on contact. It means that the game suits a wider range of body types - you don't have to be built like a battering ram (which I am not).

I am 6"2 and 85kg, but I am very strong. Rugby was not suited to me. I could take the hits as a second row forward, but because I am lean I would often get injured. I tried doing weights, but my metabolism makes it harder for me to build size. But I am not a small guy and I can tackle hard.

Honestly, for me Australian Rules is a faster flowing sport, much more so than soccer and high scoring. Some of the better players are every bit the athlete that Beckham is.
I like Aussie rules - very similar to Gaelic football in the style of game - just never found anywhere to try playing either.
I'd disagree with the wearing pads for rugby - pad wearers tend to be the ones who get injured most often, mainly through the ignorance of what pads will protect you from...

You ain't no second row though for either height or weight - maybe a centre, possibly a flanker, but most definately not a second row.
I'm same height/weight but play(ed) on the wing - getting too old now ;-) :lol:

Last edited:

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
I like Aussie rules - very similar to Gaelic football in the style of game - just never found anywhere to try playing either.
I'd disagree with the wearing pads for rugby - pad wearers tend to be the ones who get injured most often, mainly through the ignorance of what pads will protect you from...

You ain't no second row though for either height or weight - maybe a centre, possibly a flanker, but most definately not a second row.
I'm same height/weight but play(ed) on the wing - getting too old now ;-) :lol:

Phil I was considered tall back in my college days when I played rugby and my height and weight hasn't changed much since then. As for pads, I had no choice but to wear them. Most players wear shoulder arm and chest pads at the very least (you just don't notice them as much when they are under your gear), a few also wear helmets and thigh pads. The whole rugby players don't wear pads things get me, as it is a bit of a fallacy really.

Probably run too slow to play on the wing. I play as a forward in Aussie Rules.

Noticed your profile. How long have you been in England and where were you previously ?
A quick Google search reveals the Brighton Black Swans
http://www.theswans.org.uk/
You're never too old :smile:

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I also like Aussie Rules, rugby (union code), and field hockey. These sports entail great skill and do not emphasize power or intense physical contact as does American football. In fact, field hockey does not allow checking or any form of potentially injurious contact -- and that's the way it should be.

These sports have their following in the USA but are not as popular as football because of our obsession with violence.

While I enjoy our USA sports such as football, ice hockey, basketball, and baseball, I must concede that international sports are vastly superior because of their emphasis on skill play and stamina. The one North American sport that, I feel, rates with those international sports is lacrosse. The women's game has special merit because it does not allow physical contact at all. And if it were up to me, I would change the rules to de-emphasize physicality in the men's amateur game.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Back to the OP and Beckham

There was a short piece on Posh last evening which I recorded and had a look at this morning... she is as plastic as I suspected - but then L.A. will do that do anyone and I suspect the producers are trying to have a 'whack' at the nutso American lifestyle of that city's excesses before they get caught up in the sheer weight of the pull and begin to compete themselves.

Finally I got to hear that Great God Beckham talk and I plummeted to earth.

He is best watched doing his wonderful work on the field - for he is truly an amazing athlete - but when he opens his mouth bless his heart...

The God becomes a Dickens' Street Urchin belonging to one of those pickpocket gangs we get to see in old English movies .... he is truly a magnificent piece of male human animal.... but his voice, linguistic skill and mannerism just doesn't match up. Sigh - that's life splashing a bit of cold water on my fantasy.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``Posh ... plastic ``

Nah, in the USA she's the star of the show.

Beck is too injury prone and American soccer has a tendency to be overly physical -- that's because we Yanks generally lack the skill needed for a good team game. Beck will be highly vulnerable to physical contact and injury. I doubt that he (more of a play maker rather than goal scorer) will have as much impact on the game's popularity as so many hope.

Wish him luck, though ...