Manchester City unveil Sven Goran Eriksson as new manager

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Man City unveil Sven

By Vicki Hodges and agencies
06/07/2007
The Telegraph

Former England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has officially been confirmed as Manchester City's new manager and has signed a three-year deal at Eastlands.

Back in the fold: Eriksson held training earlier in the week

The 59-year-old's appointment has been finalised after former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra increased his shareholding in the club to 74.03 per cent.

Eriksson said: "I am absolutely delighted and honoured to have been asked to be Manchester City's manager.

"This is an exciting challenge and I have already started making preparations for the new season. I want to deliver a team that our fantastic fans can be proud of."

Club chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said of the appointment: "I'm delighted that Sven-Goran Eriksson has agreed to join the club as we move into an exciting new era.

"Sven's vast experience of managing top clubs to success around Europe is one of the qualities that attracted us to him.

"He also knows the English Premier League inside out during his time as national team manager."

Eriksson has been out of work since stepping down as England coach after last year's World Cup in Germany.

telegraph.co.uk