After 288 days, David Beckham is back in the England squad

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Real Madrid star David Beckham is back in the England squad. England's next game is a friendly against Brazil on Friday at Wembley. Five days later they play Estonia in a Euro 2008 qualifier.
-------------------------------------------

After 288 days, Becks is back

PALS ... McClaren with Beckham last summer

By ANDREW HAIGH
MAY 26, 2007
The Sun

DAVID BECKHAM has received his first call-up under boss Steve McClaren.

McClaren has named the midfield ace in his squad for Friday’s Wembley friendly against Brazil and the crucial Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia five days later.

McClaren, who took over as England coach from Eriksson after last year's World Cup, said: "We've got a very big game in Estonia coming up that we have to win and I've got to pick a squad capable of doing that.

"That's why I've picked David."

McClaren revealed Becks was over the moon at his recall.

He said: "David was absolutely delighted as I knew he would be.

"He is coming into form and deserves to be here.

"We've got a very big game in Estonia coming up that we have to win and I've got to pick a squad capable of doing that.

"That's why I've picked David. "Winning away at international level is very difficult anywhere and we need as much experience as we can get."

McClaren attributed Becks' recall to his form during the second half of the season.

He added: "Since Christmas his form has been very good, I think he can help us win in Estonia and that's why I picked him.

"I feel at this moment, that for the Estonia game, we need experience and David certainly provides that. "He is in very, very good form. The team needs that. "David comes back as David Beckham the player, that's what we want on the field, doing what we know he can do."

It marks an incredible turnaround for Becks, who was ditched when Mac announced his first squad 288 days ago.

There was also a strong hint at the time that the former skipper, 32, would never play for England again.

But Becks’ part in Real Madrid’s revival, coupled with England’s poor form under McClaren has forced a change of heart.

The recall may cause a split in Macca’s backroom staff.

Assistant Terry Venables does not believe it is the right route to go down and some reckon the midfielder can no longer be considered for international duty when he completes his move to MLS side LA Galaxy this summer.

Yet Becks, who has 94 caps, believes he can still do a job for his country - wherever he is playing.

He said: "I'll be a lot fitter when I play in LA. At least as fit as I am now, maybe more fit.

"The training will be difficult in America with the humidity so I still feel I'd be able to play for England."

A successful comeback might open the door for a possible loan deal back to England over the winter so he can keep ticking over ready for the Euro 2008 finals, if the Three Lions qualify.

England squad

Goalkeepers

Paul Robinson (Spurs)
Rob Green (West Ham)
Scott Carson (Liverpool)

Defenders

Phil Neville (Everton)
Wes Brown (Man Utd)
Nicky Shorey (Reading)
Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)
Ledley King (Spurs)
John Terry (Chelsea)