Australia win Cricket World Cup for third time in a row

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Australia have made history by becoming the first team ever to win the Cricket World Cup for the third time in succession.

They beat Sri Lanka yesterday by 53 runs (according to the Duckworth/Lewis Method)

Australia crowned world champions

CRICKET WORLD CUP FINAL

Australia 281-4

Sri Lanka 215-8

Australia win by 53 runs (by D/L Method)

29th April 2007
Daily Mail

Australia confirmed their place in World Cup history by becoming the first side ever to win three successive finals after clinching a 53-run victory in bizarre circumstances over Sri Lanka.

The reigning world champions began their celebrations when Sri Lanka, who had slipped to 206 for seven chasing Australia's 281 for four, accepted the offer of bad light and walked off shortly after 6.10pm at the Kensington Oval.

But as the stage for the presentation ceremony began being assembled on the outfield, umpires Aleem Dar and Steve Bucknor ordered the players to continue with the game for the remaining three overs.

In pitch black conditions, Sri Lanka continued to reach 215 for eight before the players, by now barely visible to the crowd, could begin their celebrations and provide a fitting ending for tournament that has been criticised from start to finish.

Having pitched ticket prices too high to prevent locals from filling out the stadia, banned musical instruments to avoid any hint of Caribbean flavour and stretched the tournament to over two months, it surprised few present that it should end as such a farce.

It also denied Australia a fitting ending having dominated the tournament from start to last when many predicted it was going to be the most open World Cup in years.

Having claimed their third successive triumph, it confirmed Australia as the greatest team in the World Cup's 32-year history by emulating the great West Indies' side' achievement of back-to-back successes in 1975 and 1979.

It also firmly ended suggestions that Australia's ageing side could no longer compete at the highest level having entered the tournament with six defeats from their previous seven matches.

But while teams like England celebrated lesser successes in the Commonwealth Bank series, Australia concentrated on adding the World Cup to their already impressive haul this winter of the ICC Champions Trophy and the regaining of the Ashes with a 5-0 whitewash.

Today's triumph also marked the end of an era with Glenn McGrath already confirming his retirement while Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden and Brad Hogg unlikely to be around when Australia defend their trophy when the World Cup is staged by India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in 2011.

Perhaps realising the magnitude of the occasion, Gilchrist stamped his mark in brutal fashion with a blistering onslaught on Sri Lanka's attack to record the highest score ever in a World Cup final.

Australian captain Ponting's brilliant 140 against India four years earlier had been an innings to savour, but this was a demonstration of Gilchrist's devastating power and effectively settled the final as an outcome.

His 149 came off only 104 balls and included 13 fours and eight sixes and left Sri Lanka's highly regarded attack searching for answers as he flayed them around the Kensington Oval.

He dominated a 172-run opening partnership which Hayden contributed only 38 to before driving Lasith Malinga to captain Mahela Jayawardene at mid-off.

Until that breakthrough Sri Lanka were left in despair at the clinical power of Gilchrist's strokeplay with seamer Dilhara Fernando being hit for 29 in his first three overs while spinner Tillakaratne Dilshan conceded 19 in one over.

Gilchrist had three reprieves during his brutal innings, the most costly of which was on 31 when Fernando dropped an ankle-high return catch, a mistake which was exploited to the full with the Australian wicketkeeper hitting fours off the next two deliveries before launching a six over long on from the next.

Wicketkeeper Kumar Sangakkara was also unable to take the chance when Gilchrist edged Malinga behind the next delivery after reaching his hundred while he was also missed on 132 in the deep by Chamara Silva off Muttiah Muralitharan.

He continued his assault even after Hayden's dismissal before finally top-edging Fernando and being caught at mid-wicket by Silva after setting Australia on course for a huge total.

They failed to reach 300 after losing two wickets in the final three overs with captain Ponting being run out going for a quick single and Shane Watson being bowled trying to paddle Malinga down to fine leg.

Any hopes Sri Lanka had of matching Australia's efforts depended on one of their top four matching Gilchrist and delivering a brilliant innings to keep pace with the daunting run-rate.

Upul Tharanga set the right tone by driving the first ball of their reply through the covers for four off left-arm seamer Nathan Bracken, but then edged behind in his next over.

Australia nearly made further inroads three overs later when Sangakkara upper cut Shaun Tait but Watson, running in from third man, failed to take the diving catch.

Unlike Gilchrist, Sangakkara failed to take full advantage although for 17 overs with Sanath Jayasuriya while they piled on 116 runs, their hopes were still alive.

The inspired introduction of Hogg, however, virtually ended the contest when he induced Sangakkara into a mis-timed pull straight to Ponting at mid-on for 54.

Just three overs later Jayasuriya followed him back to the dressing room after being bowled trying to slog left-arm spinner Michael Clarke and, with showers threatening and light fading, so to did Sri Lanka's hopes.

By the time Malinga was last out, stumped by Gilchrist off Andrew Symonds' off-spin, few in the ground could witness the final scenes.

The ICC's decision to turn on the lights for Australia's victory lap and a huge end of tournament musical extravaganza only heightened the farcical ending to Australia's unique achievement.

Defeated captain Mahela Jayawardene admitted his side were playing catch-up for most of the match.

"I thought we played some really good cricket but it was a very special innings by Gilly (Gilchrist) in a final. The way he batted was brilliant," he said.

"He took the game from us, we were chasing all the time until there was a point when we couldn't keep up.

"Credit to Ricky Ponting and the team, they played some really good cricket throughout the tournament."

Man of the match Gilchrist admitted he was delighted to finally find some form with the bat after being "frustrated" for part of the tournament.

"It's a really satisfying day and a satisfying finish to an amazing tournament," he said.

"It's closure on some amazing careers, obviously Glenn McGrath, much will be said and he deserves all of it but also John Buchanan. He has been amazing to Australian cricket.

Gilchrist added: "The great thing about our team and batting with Matthew Hayden is it's all about partnerships.

"I was starting to get a bit frustrated but it was my turn today and Matty was fantastic with his support and encouragement."

McGrath, named player of the tournament, added: "I'm pretty happy with the way things finished up here.

"I've really enjoyed this tournament and I think the fact my retirement was around the corner made me enjoy it more.

"It's been quite a long career and I've loved every minute of it."

Captain Ponting, who had to share the limelight with brilliant duo Gilchrist and McGrath, described "a day I'll never forget".

He said: "It's an amazing feeling. To be involved with this group of players, right through the World Cup especially, I am unbelievably proud of what we have achieved."

Ponting added: "All the guys have done it for eight weeks and everything came together for us in the final.

"We've played some unbelievable cricket and we didn't have a close game at all. That's full credit to the way the guys have played.

"Results have kept getting better and better.

"It is a day I'll never forget."

Australia: Adam Gilchrist (wicket-keeper), Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Michael Hussey, Shane Watson, Brad Hogg, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait, Glenn McGrath.

Sri Lanka: Upul Tharanga, Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakkara (wicket-keeper), Mahela Jayawardene (captain), Chamara Silva, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Russel Arnold, Chaminda Vaas, Lasith Malinga, Muttiah Muralitharan, Dilhara Fernando.

Man of the Match: Adam Gilchrist
Player of the tournament: Glenn McGrath

dailymail.co.uk