More Aussie Rules highlights from the Australian Football League

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
It has been a while since my last Aussie Rules journal as I have been on holidays in Halifax and my club is still in pre-season training and I am still awaiting to see who gets to cover it on TV here but here goes.
The opening round of the 2007 premiership season had the second biggest attendance in the history of the competition. The highlight was the rematch of the Championship Final between the reigning champions, the West Coast Eagles and the Sydney Swans in Sydney at the stadium which was built for the 2000 Summer Olympics. The 62,586 strong crowd witnessed the same result, the West Coast Eagles by a single point in a thrilling contest.
Round 1
Best Catches (Video)
Best Goals (Video)

Round 2
Best Catches (Video)
Best Goals (Video)

Round 3
Best Catches (Video)
Best Goals (Video)

Round 4
Best Catches (Video)
Best Goals (Video)

Stay tuned for more to come

Reactions: gopher

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Round 5
This highlight of this round was when 90,508 sell out crowd that saw Collingwood Magpies defeat the Essendon Bombers at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Best Catches
Best Goals

And to the Ontario Australian Football League which begins this weekend in Toronto, with new clubs formed in Ottawa and London:

Round 1 schedule:
All games are at the league's grounds at the Humber College North Campus, Toronto

Broadview Hawks vs Toronto Eagles 10am Humber College North
Toronto Downtown Dingos vs Central Blues 12pm
Guelph Gargoyles vs Hamilton Wildcats 2pm
Lakeshore Rebels vs Mississauga Demons 4pm
Etobicoke Kangaroos - Bye

The first round of the North West Pacific league ended with a victory for the Burnaby Eagles over the Vancouver Cougars.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Sure, since last year 5 new women's clubs have been formed in Canada. The game is growing in popularity with women right round the world as it offers different skills and physical attributes to rugby, football and soccer. I can't find many good action pics from the local league, but here is a video of a game rom the US National Aussie Rules Championships.

and a photo from the first ever Aussie Rules womnen's game played in England a couple of months ago.

Now back to the big guys and some action from the Australian Football League Rounds 8 & 9

Videos
Photos

]

And for local Aussie Rules news.
2 new clubs have formed in London and Ottawa.
The standings from the Ontario League after round 3:
1. Toronto Eagles W3 L0
2. Etobicoke Kangaroos W2 L0
3. Broadview Hawks w3 L1
4. Toronto Downtown Dingos W2 L1
5. Hamilton Wildcats W2 L1
6. Lakeshore Rebels W1 L1
7. Guelph Gargoyles W0 L2
8. High Park Demons W0 L3
9. Central Blues W0 L3
In the British Columbia League:
Burnaby Eagles (35) def Vancover Cougars (31)
Next Round Sat, Jun 2, 2007
(all games @ Humber College North except Guelph home game)
Central Blues vs. Rebels 10:00 AM
Broadview Hawks vs. High Park Demons 12:00 PM
(Battle of Toronto) Toronto Downtown Dingos vs. Toronto Eagles 2:00 PM
Guelph Gargoyles vs. Hamilton Wildcats. @ Guelph, 2:00 PM

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Thanx! Will check for that video.:smile:

gopher, since you are interested in women's aussie rules, I recently heard that there is an international game planned between the USA and Canada on Saturday 4th August 2007 in British Columbia just before the senior men's internationals between USA, Canada and Japan. Anyway, apparently this is the first ever women's aussie rules international game !
I won't be able to make it to Vancouver for this one, but go team Canada :canada:

Details can be found here
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20070802011101464

As for cheerleaders, well strangely enough, I don't think they have them in the sport. As far as I can tell, only one team, Adelaide Crows actually has cheerleaders and this is the only pic I could find unfortunately ... hope you like :)

Reactions: gopher

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Geelong have secured the minor premiership in the Australian Football League with a lead on the championship table that cannot be stolen.

Here are some photos from the latest round:

Make sure you vote for the mark and goal of the year. This websites has great videos of the best catches and goals from the AFL:
http://www.afl.com.au/markgoal

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
For some reason I couldn't pick up those videos. I've been watching several matches of both ARF and NRL on BigPond TV and the play has been nothing short of sensational. In truth, it would likely be too difficult to select a best mark or goal for the season as there have been some real good ones!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Just as the NFL plays a few exhibition pre-season games in Japan and the UK, the AFL and NRL should play a few matches in the USA. This would give us uncultured Yanks a chance to see real football fun.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Just as the NFL plays a few exhibition pre-season games in Japan and the UK, the AFL and NRL should play a few matches in the USA. This would give us uncultured Yanks a chance to see real football fun.

yanks, uncultured. :lol: are you sure you're all there buddy ?

I personally think that Americans could go and see Aussie footy played locally.

CBS Sportsline did a great article recently about the Aussie Rules played in Nashville, USA.
http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10313698

I've watched Australian Rules football on TV before. Each time I was drunk or in Europe. Occasionally I've been drunk and in Europe.
Every time I've watched the games I've been confused as to what was happening. There was always lots of running and kicking and four large goalposts that seemed to vaguely signify something. Plus there's a guy with a flag who waves it fairly frequently and a general sense of reckless bedlam prevails on the field. When people manage to score, the numbers change but the actual relationship seems far removed, at least to me, from the actions on the field.
(Photo/Jason Kindig) But recently reader Brenn Miller e-mailed to let me know he was flying in from Dallas to Nashville to participate in an Aussie Rules football game. Brenn managed to invite me to come out and watch the game.

There was an AFL played in LA a couple of years back, it sold out.

Rumour is that it may be returning in 2008.

Victoria nabs LA clash

The Victorian Government is on the verge of providing backing for another exhibition match in January in Los Angeles. The game, likely to take place at UCLA on January 20, will feature two as yet undecided Victorian teams to help promote Melbourne and Australian football into the Los Angeles market.
Australian Consul General for the US West Coast, Innes Willox, is in Melbourne and is expected to hold talks with the Victorian State Government this week.
Should the match regain a toehold in the sporting calendar, then, given its timing, it has claims on an eventual inclusion in the NAB Cup. Meantime, a planned match in Dubai between Collingwood and Adelaide seems certain to go ahead on February 8. It could yet be given NAB Cup status.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
yanks, uncultured ... are you sure you're all there buddy ?

Of course. I know the sports milieu here a lot better than you do having played and coached sports for a great many years and having worked as a freelance sports writer. By and large we ignorant Yanks don't know good quality sports such as ARF and NRL. True, there a few who do such as those in the East Coast. Many of those Californians and Southerners who watch those good sports are mostly transplanted East Coast people.

It would be good to have AFL return to the States. In fact, it has been rumored that Kiwi rugger will be presented here as well.

As for me, I can hardly wait till it happens!

BTW, did you see Cooper Vuna's try in the Knights-Cowboys match? That would get my vote for try of the year if you were taking a a poll for that sport as well as ARF.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Some more highlights.

It is nearing the climax of the AFL 2007 season.

Both of last year's championship contestants, the Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles have been eliminated and only 4 sides are left:

* Geelong Cats
* Port Adelaide Power (I think they will win the championship, as they defeated the favourites Geelong recently)
* Kangaroos
* Collingwood Magpies

AFL hinals so far are drawing massive crowds. Over 75,000 people witnessed Kangaroos defeat the Hawtharn Hawks, and over 95,000 people are expected to see the Geelong Cats against the Collingwood Magpies in Melbourne next weekend.

Here are some pictures from recent finals matches:

It is also finals in Toronto's local Aussie Rules scene.

If you haven't seen football as it should be played, then get down to see the Toronto Eagles against arch rivals the Downtown Dingos. Both clubs have won recent titles and the Eagles will be looking to defend their title. It promises to be the match of the season and a fair crowd should be there to see every second of non-stop high flying action.

Last edited: