CBC livid as NHL bows to Americans

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd be mad too if I realized I'd signed a contract stating what I would pay, but didn't bother putting in the contract just what I expected in return for that payment. Sounds like some extremely sloppy business practices.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Buncha whiners. Dunno what the CBC is all bothered about; it's not like it's their money they run on.

Geez L.G., did you think commercials on CBC were free? You know who got screwed here? Canadian taxpayers. CBC generates a good part of it's own operating money. It loses money on all it's northern operations.......Now, of course, it loses money on NHL games......Tar and feather Bettman.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It's called market forces....they dictate the value of something and the value of hockey south of the board isn't very high and the contract with NBC reflects that. However the value of hockey is high in Canada and the contract with the CBC reflects that.

Bettman is obsessed with the U.S. market and his every move proves it....let's just hope for Gary's worst nighmare.....an all Canadian Stanley Cup.:cool:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
let's just hope for Gary's worst nighmare.....an all Canadian Stanley Cup

I think the playoffs are designed so that won't happen. If there are Canadian teams still around after the second round, they will play each other. But still....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Unlikely... but it would be a nice change.

Any thoughts as to who the two finalists will be? In the west the teams are so close, it's almost like
eight 5th and 6th place teams playing each other, but I will pick Anaheim to come out on top. (of course, as you know, that is not my emotional choice)

In the East, even though Buffalo has had it's periodical breakdowns, I will still pick them to come through.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I think the playoffs are designed so that won't happen. If there are Canadian teams still around after the second round, they will play each other. But still....

Ummm......three teams in the east and three in the west.

The odds are better in this scenario than any other barring the fact that the Leafs suck ass and haven't made the playoffs the last two years.:lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm a Nelson Leafs fan. Second choice would be Trail Smoke-eaters. (I really dislike pro sports.)

I love the NHL hockey, and it is a huge part of my social life, as a matter of fact, other than visiting
my family, and chatting on this board, and golf, it is the only social life I have.
I participate in the NHL hockey poole, chat on hockey forums, and I have enjoyed the NHL since I
was a kid.
I love all hockey, and if we had a good junior team in the area, I would definitely be involved in the
same way.
If you love hockey, it doesn't matter if it is pro. or am., the pros just worked their up to that level
from all the minor hockey, and now they are at the pinnacle, it's what they strived for, they made it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Any thoughts as to who the two finalists will be? In the west the teams are so close, it's almost like
eight 5th and 6th place teams playing each other, but I will pick Anaheim to come out on top. (of course, as you know, that is not my emotional choice)

In the East, even though Buffalo has had it's periodical breakdowns, I will still pick them to come through.

If I were to pick the finalists based on end season results, I would choose Detroit-Buffalo. Personally I am rooting for the Canaucks and the Flames in the West, Buffalo in the East. I despise Ottawa like you do Toronto. :angryfire:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
the Leafs suck ass

What the Leafs should do in the off-season:

1. Fire John Fergusan
2. Send Kubina to the minors
3. Do no re-sign Peca, O'Neil, Sundin or Perrault.
4. Trade McAbe to any team for a nominal draft pick and half his salary.
5. Hire Pat Quin back as GM.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If I were to pick the finalists based on end season results, I would choose Detroit-Buffalo. Personally I am rooting for the Canaucks and the Flames in the West, Buffalo in the East. I despise Ottawa like you do Toronto. :angryfire:

Boy, the travel in that series would be short.

Detroit should eliminate the flames in the first series, quite easily, as Calgary has been so inconsistent this year, maybe Calgary will win one game in their own rink, but I will be amazed if
they do better than that, BUT, last year Edmonton eliminated Detroit in the first round, so I guess
anything is possible.

Canucks series with Stars should be interesting, as they are so much the same, won't be an exciting
end to end series, as they both play 'playoff' type hockey all year, very responsible in their own end,
and goals should be hard to come by. We'll see.

I'm not an Ottawa fan either. I really like the Islanders, but they should be gone early, as they are
playing Buffalo, can't see them doing very well, but they are really 'charged' right now, so that
kind of momentum can really carry them along, as long as their new goalie can stay strong.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What the Leafs should do in the off-season:

1. Fire John Fergusan
2. Send Kubina to the minors
3. Do no re-sign Peca, O'Neil, Sundin or Perrault.
4. Trade McAbe to any team for a nominal draft pick and half his salary.
5. Hire Pat Quin back as GM.

Yeah, get rid of him, can't stand the sight of his smug face on TV, and can't forget what he did to
Pat Quinn, there was no need for that, as the problem was on the ice, and the GM, and still is.

Complete housecleaning is needed.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I love the NHL hockey, and it is a huge part of my social life, as a matter of fact, other than visiting
my family, and chatting on this board, and golf, it is the only social life I have.
I participate in the NHL hockey poole, chat on hockey forums, and I have enjoyed the NHL since I
was a kid.
I love all hockey, and if we had a good junior team in the area, I would definitely be involved in the
same way.
If you love hockey, it doesn't matter if it is pro. or am., the pros just worked their up to that level
from all the minor hockey, and now they are at the pinnacle, it's what they strived for, they made it.
Hockey is a fine sport and I have nothing against players, it's the crap involved in pro sports I find offensive. BTW, I have seen many junior games far more entertaining than some pro games, so in that light, I prefer to dish out 25 bucks for a night at the game rather than 250 ( if I was interested, I could always watch a pro game for free on the tv).

ITN has a good point: there's more business in pro sports than there is sports..