Formula 1: Hamilton's star continues to rise as he finishes 2nd in Malaysia

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
2007 Malaysian Grand Prix

New British Formula 1 racing driver Lewis Hamilton, the first black Formula 1 driver, finished 2nd in today's Malaysian Grand Prix - only his SECOND ever Grand Prix.

In his first ever Grand Prix, which was in Australia, a couple of weeks ago he finished third.

So he's only ever had two Grand Prix races in his career and he's finished in the top 3 each time.

Fernando Alonso was the victor in today's race.
--------------------------------------------------------

Hamilton's star continues to rise

By Telegraph online and PA

08/04/2007

McLaren teammates Fernando Alonso of Spain (left) and Britain's Lewis Hamilton celebrate a McLaren one-two in today's Malaysian Grand Prix. Alonso won the race and Hamilton came second.

Lewis Hamilton continued the amazing start to his Formula One career by finishing in second place in the Malaysian Grand Prix behind world champion Fernando Alonso.

Two-time world champion Alonso started second on the grid behind Ferrari's Felipe Massa but stormed ahead of the Brazlian by the first turn and never relented his grip to celebrate a first success of the new season.

And it was another impressive race for Hamilton as the rookie British driver ensured a McLaren one-two for the first time since the Brazilian Grand Prix in September 2005 to add to his third place in the opening race of the season in Melbourne.

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen fought Hamilton hard in the final laps but in the end had to settle for third place finishing 0.7 seconds behind.

A delighted Hamilton said: "That's the most difficult race I've ever had. To see two Ferraris behind you, knowing they are quicker than you, it's very difficult to keep them behind.

"Felipe had a couple of moves but fortunately I was able to trick him into over braking.

"Then I had Kimi hunting me down for most of the race.

"It was extremely hot in the cockpit. I ran out of water and I was getting hotter and hotter.

"It was tricky and I had to keep pushing to the last lap."

MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX - THE RESULT (THE TOP SIX)

1 Fernando Alonso (Spa) McLaren 1hr 32mins 14.930secs
2 Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren 1:32:32.487
3 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:32:33.269
4 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:32:48.707
5 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:32:51.635
6 Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Renault 1:33:20.568

------------------------

Drivers' Standings

...................................Points
1 Fernando Alonso..(Spa) .......18
2 Kimi Raikonnen ...(Fin)........16
3 Lewis Hamilton....(GB)........14
4 Nick Heidfeld ......(Ger).......10
5 Giancarlo Fisichella.(Ita)........7
6 Felipe Massa.........(Bra)........7
7 Jarno Trulli...........(Fin).......2
8 Nico Rosberg.........(Ger).......2
9 Heikki Kovalainen....(Fin).......1
10 Ralf Schumacher.....(Ger)......1
-----------------------------------

Constructor Standings
....................Points
1 McLaren..........32
2 Ferrari............23
3 BMW Sauber......10
4 Renault............8
5 Toyota.............3
6 Williams...........2

Next weekend is the Bahrain Grand Prix.

http://aol.sportinglife.com/formula1

Trulli split the Renaults in Malaysia
-----------------

A bizarre problem in his RB3 cockpit put Britain's David Coulthard out of the race
---------------

Alex Wurz charges through the field
----------------

Raikkonen looked deflated after he ended up with third
----------------

Britain's Lewis Hamilton continues his amazing start to his Formula 1 career - in his debut Grand Prix a couple of weeks ago he finished third. Today, only his second ever Grand Pric, he finished second.
---------------

Fisichella held off fellow Italian Trulli for sixth as Renault salvaged three points
--------------

Britain's Lewis Hamilton (in the mainly white McClaren) pulled off another demon start to a race by outfoxing both Ferrari drivers
--------------

Rule Britannia: Hamilton perfected attack and defence at Sepang

www.itv-f1.com

Last edited: