FIFA should have overruled Quebec on hijab ban

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

By Andy Blatchford
MONTREAL (CP) - The mother of an 11-year-old girl is unhappy with the way the rules division of international soccer's governing body handled the issue of Muslim girls wearing traditional headgear during organized matches.
The International Football Association Board was asked to consider the case of Asmahan Mansour, an Ottawa-area soccer player recently ejected from an indoor game in Quebec for wearing a hijab.
The referee of the game in Laval, north of Montreal, said the scarf was a safety concern.
IFAB officials concluded Saturday in Manchester, England that existing rules for on-field equipment are adequate.
"If you play football, there's a set of laws and rules, and law 4 outlines the basic equipment," said Brian Barwick, chief executive of the English Football Association, which is one of the board's members. "It's absolutely right to be sensitive to people's thoughts and philosophies, but equally there has to be a set of laws that are adhered to, and we favour law 4 being adhered to."
Law 4 states that players "must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery)."
IFAB is the branch of the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) - soccer's world governing body - in charge of rules.
Maria Mansour, the girl's mother, said the ejection "humiliated" her daughter.
She hoped the IFAB would be sensitive to the issue.
"As far as the decision, it is disappointing because... IFAB should clarify and be more sensitive to these cases," Maria Mansour said Saturday by telephone from Ottawa. "I truly think they should have (overridden) what Quebec's rule is. (Asmahan) is still hoping that Quebec will remove that rule someday so she will be able to play (in Quebec).
"There's nothing that has been accomplished."
The Nepean Hotspurs under-12 team pulled out of the Canadian indoor championship last Sunday when a Muslim referee ruled Asmahan could not wear a hijab during a game.
She has worn a the headscarf during games played in Ontario, where they are permitted by the provincial association.
Quebec's Soccer Federation said the traditional scarf violated a no-headgear rule set by the sport's governing body for safety reasons.
Valmie Ouellet, co-ordinator of regional technical services for the QSF, later said the referee was simply enforcing rules set by FIFA.
Ouellet declined to comment about IFAB's decision on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the director of the Canadian Arab Federation - who is also a Level 2 referee for the Ontario Soccer Association - maintains that traditional headgear such as hijabs, turbans and yarmulkes are worn by soccer players in Canada and around the world.
Mohamed El Rashidy believes this is strictly an issue in Quebec.
"To me, this ruling does not change anything because nothing needs to change," El Rashidy said by phone from his home in Mississauga, Ont.
"The hijab, when worn safely, has already been allowed in the past and will continue to be allowed in the future under FIFA rules."
El Rashidy said female Muslim soccer players make up a large percentage of athletes at the world's elite levels and they wear hijabs on the field.
Mansour said Asmahan was back on the field Saturday in the Ottawa area.
"She had a great game today and scored two awesome goals," she said. "For now, she's happy to play in Ontario."
Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is like the guy who just had to wear a turban. They actually changed the rules so one guy could wear a turban in the RCMP. My feeling at the time was that if he wanted to be a "Mountie, he should wear the traditional Stetson.
If this lady wants to play soccer, she should follow the rules set down by the ruling body.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
From what I understand, in Ontario, they allow it, but in Quebec, they were following the letter of the law, so to speak.

It's the inconsistency that causes a problem.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And one wonders what exceptions are made for those entering foreign cultures. If I moved to India or China would my customs trump theirs? Would they be expected to accommodate my beliefs and practices? Or I theirs?
Interesting to see the growing controversy in Toronto where members of the growing Hindu community there are insisting on the right to put the ashes of their dead in local rivers. Along with ceremonial offerings. Should Toronto acquiesce?

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
And one wonders what exceptions are made for those entering foreign cultures. If I moved to India or China would my customs trump theirs? Would they be expected to accommodate my beliefs and practices? Or I theirs?
Interesting to see the growing controversy in Toronto where members of the growing Hindu community there are insisting on the right to put the ashes of their dead in local rivers. Along with ceremonial offerings. Should Toronto acquiesce?

no way. they need to learn theyre in canada now. keep their bizarre customs where they belong,back in their own countries. i dont even think the muslim women should be allowed to wear those things they wear when theyre working in canadian companies.at home or on the street fine, but not at work. its not part of the uniforms of allot of places.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
ML, I hear you. When multiculturalism was first pushed in Canada by the Liberal Party, the political organization offered little as to what Canadians should expect in the future if the policy was embedded. The future is here and increasingly we're under pressure to conform not to old identities but the new. I think a lot of Canadians are really pissed off.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
no way. they need to learn theyre in canada now. keep their bizarre customs where they belong,back in their own countries.

Like soccer, too. What are they doing playing that game? After all, they're over here now.

It's hockey in winter, lacrosse in summer. They need to learn to be good upstanding white folks, just to keep mapleleafgirl happy.

And no mixing of races, either. Maybe they need a league all to themselves. Why, they probably smell funny, too.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Like soccer, too. What are they doing playing that game? After all, they're over here now.

It's hockey in winter, lacrosse in summer. They need to learn to be good upstanding white folks, just to keep mapleleafgirl happy.

And no mixing of races, either. Maybe they need a league all to themselves. Why, they probably smell funny, too.

That's not at all what she was suggesting and you know it. Her points were actually succinct. Would you support hindu citizens dumping the ashes of their dead in our rivers?

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
That's not at all what she was suggesting and you know it. Her points were actually succinct. Would you support hindu citizens dumping the ashes of their dead in our rivers?
It there are law forbidding us from doing it?

If there is then nobody should be allowed to do it! Can you imagine if we all began dumping the ashes of our dead in our rivers! Talk about pollution!!!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Mr Sanctimonious, there is a difference between pollution and clothing, and even you know that. I'm fairly certain that even the Catholic Church, the one, the only, could see that. Mapleleafgirl is on par with you for tolerance and understanding. I was referring to her comments in another thread. Perhaps you could come down off your high pulpit for a while.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The question has likely already been asked but if a Canadian went over to India or Pakistan, is it likely they would change their rules or custom to accommodate him/her?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Mr Sanctimonious, there is a difference between pollution and clothing, and even you know that. I'm fairly certain that even the Catholic Church, the one, the only, could see that. Mapleleafgirl is on par with you for tolerance and understanding. I was referring to her comments in another thread. Perhaps you could come down off your high pulpit for a while.

You need to relax, and read the comments she was replying to regarding an issue in Toronto where the Hindu community wants to dump the ashes of their dead into the rivers as is their custom back where they came from.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The question has likely already been asked but if a Canadian went over to India or Pakistan, is it likely they would change their rules or custom to accommodate him/her?

Exactly. What people do in their own homes and in their private lives is their own business, but expecting the entire country to accomodate those practices is a bit much.

Reactions: westmanguy

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canada is now starting to experience the problems of Islam that many European countries have been experiencing.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I know! How can they expect us to let them dress however they feel like, just because their morality means they don't like to expose their hair!

Next they will want us not to force the female soccer players to go topless just because of their personal moralities. Women are allowed to go topless in Canada, therefore, they should have to for the same reasons that just because you can go out without a hijab, you should be forced to.

Or does dictating the morality of other people only happen when it fits your morality?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Alot of Canadians, me included, get a PO'ed when people come to OUR nation, and want to keep their original public life.

What they do in their homes or property is UP TO THEM (as long as its legal), but in the public, and in organizations, you conform to the rules and expectations of that nation.

I have a problem when a person puts their hood up over their head, or a muslim girl covers her head.

In schools, we were never allowed any clothing on our head, but that is thrown out for Muslims!

What you do in your home is your choice, what you do in public or an organization is of that nation or organization's choice.

You can have your culture, but not destroy our culture.

Multiculturalism has killed Canada's culture... our culture is bowing down and conforming to other people's culture.

I personally admire the USA's melting pot, immigrants adjust to a certain way of life in public, and do their own thing in their homes and churches.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Welcome to the leftist nightmare afflicting western countries everywhere. When you encourage immigrants to maintain their identies and cultural practices despite the traditions of the new milieu they're entering you're inviting problems in the future. And you're also disrespecting your own heritage and traditions and institutions for allowing it. It's not cool, it's not progressive. It 's just what it appears to be- simpleminded and stupid. Ask newcomers to integrate and assimilate. It doesn't mean they have to lose everything they've been; it does mean they have to recognize they're now in a new and different country than where they've been. They have to make some important adjustments.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Though I don't think a scarf is really all that important. As long as their face is visible, just like a man walking around in a face mask is kinda unsettling.