Ryan Smith traded

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I can't believe Edmonton traded Ryan Smith for a couple of also-ran rookies and a draft choice. There are few players in the NHL who play with the heart of Ryan Smith.

NHL trade deadline: Oilers send Smyth to Islanders

full image
Ryan Smith. (AP File/Christof Stache)
EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers couldn't reach a new deal with Ryan Smyth so they dealt the forward to the New York Islanders just before the NHL trade deadline. A source confirmed the deal to The Canadian Press. The Oilers received prospects Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra and a first-round draft pick in 2007 in exchange for Smyth.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The fans in Edmonton can't be feeling to good about their team now.

On the plus side, I like how things are shaping up for Vancouver and Ottawa. Pittsburgh looks real good now too. Not sure what to think about that Bertuzzi deal...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
VANCOUVER (CP) - The Vancouver Canucks hope they have added the depth they need for a playoff run by picking up centre Bryan Smolinski from the Chicago Blackhawks and re-acquiring defenceman Brent Sopel from the Los Angeles Kings in a pair of NHL trades

I've always liked Brent Sopel. I'm not that wild about Smolinski but they didn't pay much for him.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The Leafs aquired Yanic Perreault.......again!:laughing7:

Look out, the Leafs are going for the cup!:tongue7:

What a piece of crap franchise that is.:evil3:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was following the trade deadline all morning yesterday, and realized then that Edmonton was still
negotiiating with Smythe, and said to my husband, wouldn't it be something if he was traded this
morning, and that's exactly what happened, and we were shocked too.

But at the end of the day, realizing what Keven Lowe got for him, two players "who" were first round
picks, and also islanders "first" round pick this year, I can see that Keven Lowe is planning for the
near future instead of the now.

I think Lowe was expecting Ryan Smythe to accept something lower than he deserves because he is
so attached to the area, he grew up there, all his family there, but it didn't work that way, as Ryan
Smythe knows what other players are getting who are in "his" catagory, so he has to think about "his"
future, as he is in his 30's now, and not that many more years to play, don't blame him at all.

Keven Lowe could have had him signed months ago, but dropped the negotiations, as he wasn't
happy with the asking price.