England bids to host 2018 World Cup

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is the World Cup coming home?

Gordon Brown, who will become British Prime Minister this year, with the ball used in the 1966 World Cup Final, which England won 4-2 against West Germany. He will ensure England has the British Government's full backing in the bid. If the bid is successful the tournament will be held just 6 years after London hosts the Olympics.

Gordon Brown believes England winning the right to host the World Cup can help Britain as a whole become a "sporting nation".

The Chancellor (who is already ruling Britain over lame duck Blair) will visit the new Wembley stadium on Monday to launch the Government's feasibility study into staging the 2018 tournament. The Football Association will receive Government support if they decide to launch a bid for the showpiece event, as made clear in the study.

"I think countries can take decisions about wanting to excel more in sport," he said in The Times. "We can make a decision that, as the Olympic nation, as a prospective World Cup nation, we are going to be a sporting nation and focus more on physical fitness, the availability and accessibility of sports in schools. This is a huge opportunity."

This weekend saw Bolton boss Sam Allardyce launch a stinging attack on the Government's attitude to sport, dubbing England a "fat, lazy nation", due to a lack of emphasis on physical education in sport.

This is type of attitude is something Brown is keen to address.

Football's greatest cathedral: The new Wembley, England's national football stadium which opened this year, is the biggest roof-covered football stadium with a capacity of 90,000. It is the home not only of English, but world football.

He said: "I am a great believer in competitive sports. It is still said that one in six children is obese but it is not just vital for physical fitness.

"Playing as a member of a team is good training for everything else you do in life."

The Government's feasibility study also publishes the results of a survey showing strong public support for the bid.

England would be installed as early favourites to clinch the 2018 tournament having not hosted it since 1966. South Africa will hold it in 2010 and South America four years later.

Any FA bid would have to be submitted in 2010 before a decision late the following year.

sport.aol.co.uk

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
gordon brown is one of Blair's cabinet members and as soon as Blair steps aside, brown is sposed to be PM. we've been expecing it to happen any time soon for ages. I think he's currently the chancellor of the exchequer but don't quote me on that

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
World Cup stadiums for England 2018

Wembley ... could host Final in 2018

By VINCE SOODIN
February 12, 2007

THE World Cup could be on its way to England in 2018 and we've got stadiums fit for the globe's top players.

Chancellor Gordon Brown today said he wants the tournament back on English soil for the first time since 1966.

Wembley would be the venue for the final while multi-million pound modern stadiums across the country would host qualifying games.

Here’s a quick rundown on the grounds which could see World Cup football.

Wembley, London
Capacity – 90,000

Would host all England’s games providing the Three Lions top their qualifying group plus the final.
--------------------------------------

Old Trafford ... Manchester United

Old Trafford, Manchester Utd
Capacity – 76,000

The largest club ground in Britain and home to Manchester United. Would host one the world powers and a favourite for a semi-final match. Should Scotland qualify, Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson would love to see them play at Old Trafford.
------------------------------------

St James’ Park, Newcastle Utd
Capacity – 52,387

Whichever team travels to the Tyneside is bound to play in front of a packed house as Newcastle fans love their football.

St James' Park ... Newcastle United
------------------------------------------------

Stanley Park, Liverpool
Capacity - Approx 61,000

Stanley Park ... Liverpool

By 2018 Liverpool should be playing at a new stadium - Stanley Park - having made plans to leave Anfield. The city will be a great draw for fans from around the world because of the city’s football and cultural history.
-----------------------------------------
Villa Park - Aston Vila
Capacity - 42,573

Villa Park ... Aston Villa

The UK’s second-biggest city Birmingham will be in line to host games and Aston Villa’s stadium will be in pole position. The club have planning permission to extend the North Stand and new chairman Randy Lerner is keen to extend the capacity to 51,000
-------------------------------------------------

Emirates ... Emirates Stadium ... Arsenal

Emirates, Arsenal
Capacity – 60,000

The Gunners’ brand new stadium has impressed Arsenal fans however supporters going to see their country play there will have to save up. The Emirates has some of the most expensive tickets in the country. However north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur would hope to rival the Emirates by 2018 by building a new stadium to replace White Hart
Lane.
------------------------------------------------------
The ones that will miss out …

Cardiff’s Millenium Stadium (in Wales, therefore jot a part of the bid) with a capacity of 71,000 has done a fantastic job hosting the FA Cup Final, League Cup and play offs but is unlikely to be part of any joint bid. If it was, Wales could qualify for its first World Cup since 1958.

Scotland’s Hampden Park is one of the best stadiums in the UK but will not be part of any English bid. The stadium has a capacity of 52,000 and is home to club side Queen’s Park.

thesun.co.uk

Last edited:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
gordon brown is one of Blair's cabinet members and as soon as Blair steps aside, brown is sposed to be PM. we've been expecing it to happen any time soon for ages. I think he's currently the chancellor of the exchequer but don't quote me on that

Sounds like Kim Campbell. Our first female PM. she got in when Brian Mulroney stepped aside. Lasted till the next election, about a year or so.

Good pics of the stadium Black.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Oh! Gosh I thught that was a basketball the new Prime Minister was holding.

Who the heck is Gordon Brown and did he win an election yet????

Gordon brown will take over from Blair this year as Prime Minister. At the moment he's the Chancellor, the second in command.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was invented in Canada but we gave it away to the Yanks.

I was only joking.

I dobn't know why, but I get too over-emotional at certain moments. I think I've got too much adrenaline or something, methinks.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I watch lots of football, I think it would be great if it goes to Britain( could I also say England?). What will the streets be like in Britain with so many fans from all over the world?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you're better off saying england when it comes to football. Wales and Scotland and Northern Ireland all have their own teams. they're **** though :)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I hope Canada can make it one day, our program has sucked for such a long time, though we have done well with some junior squads.

I like playing left back, great satisfaction seeing the winger get up with grass in his teeth!