Aussie "Superbowl" this Saturday - a must watch

obscuresportsfan

Sep 26, 2006
It is time for Australia's most important national sporting event.

A sellout crowd of 100,000 people at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and a and large worldwide audience is expected for the rematch of last year's AFL Grand Final.

Once again it is East vs West in Australian rules football.

Sydney Swans vs West Coast Eagles

Video of the final moments from last year's thriller
Video News clips post 2005 Grand Final

The game will be shown live in Canada on Fox Sports World Canada and Setanta Sports.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You're wasting your breath trying to get Americans and Canadians interested in the AFL. They're more interested in girls' sports such as baseball or basketball.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
You're wasting your breath trying to get Americans and Canadians interested in the AFL. They're more interested in girls' sports such as baseball or basketball.

There is no harm in obscuresportsfan trying Blackleaf
There is a small but fast growing fanbase for footy here.

And would you believe that many Australians see Aussie Rules as virtually non-contact ! Personally I know better.

Anyway it will be an awesome event.

If anyone should be interested:

In Toronto, the Central Blues club will be hosting a 2006 Grand Final party at:
Rowers Pub & Grill, located at 150 Harbord Street, downtown Toronto @ 9:30pm.

In Vancouver, the Vancouver Cougars will be holding a Grand Final party at:
Burnaby Lake Sports Club. End of Sprott Street, Burnaby Lake Sports Fields @ 7:30pm

In Calgary, the Calgary Kangaroos will be holding a Grand Final party at:
Unicorn Pub in downtown Calgary. 304 Stephen Ave @ 8:00pm

The game will be shown on the big screen, with plenty of atmosphere.

oh yeah, and go the West Coast Eagles !

Last edited:

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
It is time for Australia's most important national sporting event.

A sellout crowd of 100,000 people at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and a and large worldwide audience is expected for the rematch of last year's AFL Grand Final.

Once again it is East vs West in Australian rules football.

Sydney Swans vs West Coast Eagles

Video of the final moments from last year's thriller
Video News clips post 2005 Grand Final

The game will be shown live in Canada on Fox Sports World Canada and Setanta Sports.

it is on Friday night in Canada. We are a day ahead of you downunder people. :rolleyes:

should be a great game to watch.

obscuresportsfan

Sep 26, 2006
Go Eagles. Got to love the west coast of Australia!:D

Well, they won, and in the best possible way, staving off a late charge by the Sydney Swans in an absolute thriller in front of 97,431 fans.

SYDNEY: 12.12 (84)
WEST COAST: 12.13 (85)

Here are some video highlights:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is that because no-one outside Australia likes the game?

Anyway, why should Aussie Rules Football stay just an Australian game? Export it across the world. Nearly ALL of the world's biggest team sports were invented it Britain that we then exported around the globe - soccer, rugby and cricket etc. We also invented golf, darts and tennis. All those are much more popular around the globe than American Football, baseball or basketall.

Just do what we did and export the game.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
Is that because no-one outside Australia likes the game?

Hmmm... maybe.

Anyway, why should Aussie Rules Football stay just an Australian game? Export it across the world.

I think that's what these victorians are attempting. I can't see why it SHOULDN'T remain the great Aussie sport, I mena why are codes trying to expand?

We also invented golf, darts and tennis.

Actually Tennis is French.

All those are much more popular around the globe than American Football, baseball or basketall.

The former two YES. But not Basketball. Gridiron is completely inferior to Rugby and Baseball, while OKAY as a sport has too much Americanisms like thos unnecessary padded gloves and those tight trousers. But Basketball is a great sport and has a massive international following.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have no idea what Australian rules football is, it looks similar to rugby from the pictures. What are the differences? I'd probably watch it if it were on, but I've never seen it advertised on any of our sports channels.

I have to agree with our southern hemispheric friends, I like rugby much better than our football. I really like soccer too, nothing like slide tackles at the edge of the eighteen. I wish my high school had a rugby team when I played soccer.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
I have no idea what Australian rules football is, it looks similar to rugby from the pictures.What are the differences? I'd probably watch it if it were on, but I've never seen it advertised on any of our sports channels.

Appearances can be deceptive. The only things it have in common with ruggers is that they play with an oval ball (much different to a Rugby ball though) and that there's biffa-a-plently. Basically it's a bastardised version of Gaelic football, brought to Victoria by Irish immigrants. They use an oval ball, play on big Cricket ovals and have different scoring (using four vertical sticks instead of a goal). I'm sure Wikipeadia will list the rules and differences of the two codes. It's really more like football (soccer to North America) than Rugby. It's all free-for-all and positional, whereas Rugby is structured like Gridiron.

I have to agree with our southern hemispheric friends, I like rugby much better than our football. I really like soccer too, nothing like slide tackles at the edge of the eighteen. I wish my high school had a rugby team when I played soccer.

Good man!. Althoug be warned, although football (Soccer) has alot of hideous leg injuries and tackles, Rugby can be daunting at first for its brutality. It's not hard to lay a guy out in a game and playing too much can disfigure your face and give you cauliflower ears.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have played pick up games of rugby, many bruises and scrapes, but man what a sport, so fun! I'm not built like most of the big chaps who go into the scrums, but I can run like a mofo.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Have alot of Victorians suddenly immigrated to Canada or something?

Don't kid yourself mate, Aussie Rules will stay in Australia forever.

Well anyway I was at a pub in Toronto for the Grand Final and it was a packed house, and it was an absolutely fantastic match to watch and everybody loved it.

I have played pick up games of rugby, many bruises and scrapes, but man what a sport, so fun! I'm not built like most of the big chaps who go into the scrums, but I can run like a mofo.

Watch a game and you'll pretty soon see the differences. The best part of the game in my opinion is where the players soar high into the air unassisted over packs of other players to catch the ball. This is something you won't see in any other sport and they do it regularly with zero padding. People tell me it is an similar adrenalin rush to surfing.

Last edited:

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
Well anyway I was at a pub in Toronto for the Grand Final and it was a packed house, and it was an absolutely fantastic match to watch and everybody loved it.

Yeah it was a packed house because it was the pub all the Aussies in Toronto go to. There were no Canadians or any non-Australian nationality there were there?

Watch a game and you'll pretty soon see the differences. The best part of the game in my opinion is where the players soar high into the air unassisted over packs of other players to catch the ball. This is something you won't see in any other sport and they do it regularly with zero padding. People tell me it is an similar adrenalin rush to surfing.

I've watched the goddamn game. I even watched THAT game. GIVE IT UP! nobody is interested in suddenly taking up such an eccentric sport

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Yeah it was a packed house because it was the pub all the Aussies in Toronto go to. There were no Canadians or any non-Australian nationality there were there?

I've watched the goddamn game. I even watched THAT game. GIVE IT UP! nobody is interested in suddenly taking up such an eccentric sport

BS. the lot of us that watched the game have already started looking for more guys. We will try the game up here next summer. Lots of Rugby players have said they will come out.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
BS. the lot of us that watched the game have already started looking for more guys. We will try the game up here next summer. Lots of Rugby players have said they will come out.

The bullsh_ttin's only coming from one direction. There would be no reason for Rugby players to wear themselves out playing a completely different code.