Accrington Stanley snub for Sven.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not even little Accrington Stanley, down in England's League 2 (the fourth tier of English football below the Premiership, the Championship and League 1) wanted England's ex-manager Sven as their new manager. This year, Accrington Stanley came back into the English football league after an absence of over 40 years and they say their current manager is much better than the mercenary Sven.

The Sun is furious that the English FA will pay Sven £13,000 PER DAY every day until he finds a new job. So the newspaper is asking clubs in Britain and abroad whether or not they want the useless manager - who failed to win any trophies with England during the 5 years he was here - as their new manager.

Not surprisingly, most of the teams (except Swedish team Degerfors) didn't want him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sun

30th August 2006

Accrington snub for Sven

Even little Accrington Stanley, of League 2, didn't want Sven Goran Eriksson. They were relegated from the English league in 1962 but made a welcome return to the league this year. If they had Sven, the chances are they'd be relegated from the league again.

By GRANT ROLLINGS
NICK FRANCIS and NEIL CUSTIS

THE Sun told yesterday how flop ex-England soccer boss Sven Goran Eriksson was still being paid £13,000 a day by the FA until he finds a new post.

We thought we would try to help Sven along and save cash by finding him a job. But it turned out to be harder than we thought . . .

NOT even lowly Accrington Stanley would agree to sign former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson yesterday.

All but one gave the thumbs down to the 58-year-old — and they were Swedish.

Even a women’s team said they were not interested.

We thought Lancashire minnows ACCRINGTON STANLEY would snap up an experienced coach like Sven as they returned to the Football League this season after 44 years.

'No thanks' ... Accrington chairman Eric Whalley

But chairman Eric Whally was in no mood to ditch their current manager John Coleman.

He said: “No, thank you very much. He’ll just end up spending all our money and leave us broke.

“We’ve had our manager for eight years and he’s better than Sven. Nice try though. I’m not surprised the FA are still paying him to do nothing though. They can’t get anything right.”

Accrington boss ... John Coleman

Managerless DONCASTER ROVERS insisted they would not even take Sven for FREE.

The mid-table League One side have parted company with boss Dave Penney.

No....League One team Doncaster Rovers

Chairman John Ryan ruled out Sven, saying he has become unemployable.

He said: “I would not be interested in him coming to Doncaster, not in the slightest.

“I think the FA will be paying him for a long time to come because I cannot see who would want to employ him.

“He is not a good manager. He just sits back there in the dugout and looks like he does not know what he is doing. I thought he was disgraceful in the World Cup. What happened was a tragedy for England. He has destroyed his name in the game with crucial decisions he got wrong.”

Penney, who oversaw Doncaster’s rise from the Conference, earned just £50,000 a year, compared to the £4.4million England paid Sven.

Ryan added: “I can’t believe we are still paying Sven two months after he left the job. Whoever sorted that deal out — well, I’d better not say any more.”

Our quest for a new job for Sven started in Italy, where he worked for 14 years with Roma, Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Lazio.

But interest had clearly faded among the top Italian clubs following Sven’s failure to win any silverware in England.

Andrea Butti, a spokesman for title favourites and reigning champions INTER MILAN said: “There is no room for him on our staff. We don’t have any need of Sven Goran Eriksson.”

No......Italian Champions Inter Milan

It was similar story at LAZIO, with whom Sven won several trophies, and JUVENTUS.

A spokesman for Juventus, demoted last season in a referee fixing scandal, said: “We have just appointed Didier Deschamps and have no vacancies.” Lazio said: “Mister Eriksson has our greatest respect but we have a manager.”

No......Spanish and European Champions Barcelona

It was the same reaction from Spanish European champs BARCELONA. Back in England, Premiership champions CHELSEA showed their lack of interest with a brusque “No comment”.

Next we lowered our sights and tried League One.

But MILLWALL Executive Deputy Chairman, Heather Rabbatts, said: “Certainly not for 13k a day. I don’t think he would be appropriate for us.”

Barry Hearn, chairman of LEYTON ORIENT, who were promoted to League One last season, quipped: “I might not have a problem with the 13,000 — but it better be in lira or yen.”

No......London team Leyton Orient said they would have no problems paying him 13,000 - as long as it was in lira or yen

Surely a club in League Two would be interested?

Apparently not. A spokesman for WYCOMBE WANDERERS said: “Thanks for the offer but we’re not interested. We’ve just appointed Paul Lambert from Celtic and he’s set to do a marvellous job — better than Sven anyway. We don’t think he’ll will have much success getting a new job after his performance with England.”

No.......Wycombe Wanderers

Maybe we could find Sven a berth in the Republic of Ireland.

But CORK CITY General Administrator Derek Kiely asked: “Are you winding me up?

“Not a chance. We’re doing OK without his help, thanks. Good luck to him, though. I’d love to know how to earn £13k a day without lifting a finger.”

No......Irish Champions Cork City

After all that and knowing Sven’s fondness for the ladies, we tried BRISTOL ACADEMY WOMEN’S FC, who play in the FA Nationwide Women’s Premier League.

The response? Yes, you guessed. Coach Gary Green said: “With a track record like his, I don’t think there’s any room for him here. He could try, but I’m not sure he’d get a good response.”

Then, just as we were giving up hope, we thought of DEGEFORS IF, the Swedish club that gave Sven his first taste of management.

YES!!........Degerfors IF, from Sven's home nation of Sweden, said they would have him.

He took the team from the Third Division to the First Division in three years. And spokesman Nessa Jansson said: “He is welcome back any time. Everybody liked him, he’s a very good coach.

“He has a summer house here and if he wanted to end his career with us we’d be very happy.”

All we need now is for Sven to agree . . .

thesun.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Accrington Stanley sn

"Ian Rush said if I dont drink enough Milk, when I grow up, I'd only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!!!"

"Accrington Stanley???...who are THEY???"

"EXACTLY!!!!!!"

Classic!!!!!! :) :) :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah. I always think of that advert when I think about them.

But it's good to see them back in the league again even though they always make me think about milk.

Accrington, back in the Football League after 44 years, started the new season against Chester City
------------------------------

Thursday 3rd August 2006

If it's good enough for Rushie....The Accrington Stanley milk advert of 1988

Never mind va va voom, back in the 80s there was only one iconic football advert worth talking about, as a young Liverpool fan tried to tempt his mate with a glass of the white stuff.

(Speaking in Liverpool accents)

"Milk? Ugh!"
"It's what Ian Rush drinks."
"Ian Rush?"
"Yeah. And he says if I don't drink lots of milk, when I grow up I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley."
"Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"
"Ex-accly."

That commercial, released a quarter of a century after Accrington were forced to resign from the Football League, put the club back on the map, albeit for the wrong reasons.

When they suffered their inglorious departure from the old fourth division on 12 March 1962, there seemed no way back for a side riddled with debt and unable to fulfil their fixtures or pay the players' wages.

Now, at last, the mickey-taking can stop as Stanley prepare to make their return from the footballing wilderness with a League Two clash at Chester City on Saturday.

A lot has happened since the club went away - man went to the moon, England won the World Cup and a shy, retiring young lady married her prince charming in a fairytale wedding.

But enough about Cheryl Tweedy - who were the big names making the headlines in the year Accy said their goodbyes?

Chart-toppers in 1962 included Cliff Richard, B Bumble and the Stingers and, bizarrely, EastEnders actress Wendy Richard - who took Come Outside to number one with Mike Sarne.

The Rolling Stones, meanwhile, were taking their first steps to rock'n'roll superstardom, no doubt prompting cries of "They'll never last" from record industry cynics.

Film fans were able to take their minds off football for an hour or two as they flocked to the Accrington Odeon to watch a bikini-clad Ursula Andress emerge from the water in Dr No. Other releases included Lawrence of Arabia, Westside Story and, The Longest Day - renamed March 12 by Stanley supporters.

Celebrities galore popped into the world. Where would Hollywood be without the likes of Jodie Foster, Jim Carrey, Wesley Snipes and Demi Moore? But perhaps the biggest name to have his bottom slapped on the delivery table that year was Tom Cruise. Presumably his mother had the good grace to remain silent.

An average house in the UK would set you back the princely sum of £2,784 and you could buy a loaf of bread, 3lbs of potatoes and a dozen eggs and still have enough change out of thrupence ha'penny to get a pint of mild in at the local - probably.

Ah yes, great days indeed - unless you are an Accrington Stanley fan, for whom the year 1962 has become as big a millstone around the neck as 1966 for the current crop of England players.

Neutrals up and down the country will be willing them to mark their return to league football with a win - and if they do come away with all three points from the Deva Stadium, you can bet they won't be toasting their success with milk.

news.bbc.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Accrington Stanley sn

class :)

I was in infant school when that came out, but still vividly remember it, perhaps the Bilyati's (which translates as blighty's....or foreigners) dont understand it, but it sure makes me chuckle..top job!.