Tour de frace, drug scandals continue, Landis tests positve.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
What a mess. I had been looking forward to a battle between Basso and Ullrich this year, but they were booted because of possible doping ties.

Now Landis tests positive. What a mess. I wonder if there is a way to test if this was a natural jump in testosterone. It has been shown that winning sporting events boosts testosterone. Sad to think everyone is juiced up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/5221122.stm

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
RE: Tour de frace, drug scandals continue, Landis tests posi

Excellent news ---i had a feeling that Landis like Armstrong was a dirty little cheat

cheers to oscar Piriero of Spain

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: RE: Tour de frace, drug scandals continue, Landis tests

fuzzylogix said:
Excellent news ---i had a feeling that Landis like Armstrong was a dirty little cheat

Considering Armstrong has has never been proven to take any "performance enhancing drugs", perhaps you should reconsider your post.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006

ok- i shall reconsider

three cheers to Oscar Piriero---champion of the 2006 tour de france

In the future it would be easier if all the american cyclists were simply excluded from the tour-- its costly and rather akward to go thru this again and again and again.

Landis the testoterone junkie
Armstrong the EPO mainliner

both proven

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Re: RE: Tour de frace, drug scandals continue, Landis tests

fuzzylogix said:

True. There's an irony to a society that teaches 12 year olds to say no to drugs but then embraces dopeheads as sports heroes.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006

Leave it to the Yanks to be caught cheating again. They will do anything to win, won't they? Disgusting!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
RE: Tour de frace, drug s

Once again, Armstong was never sanctioned in any way for using enhancing drugs. What you refer to is this I take it? Quoted from Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong

"Allegations of doping have been made against Armstrong, as with many pro cyclists, but all remain unproven. He has never tested positive and was cleared by an official inquiry into some of the accusations. UCI pursues an aggressive in and out of season doping test regime, in an attempt to address what is recognised as a chronic problem within the sport. Armstrong has described himself as "the most tested athlete in the world" due to the constant scrutiny this testing brought to him.

In 1999, a urine sample showed traces of cortico-steroids below the positive test level. He was cleared after he produced a medical certificate showing he used an approved cream for saddle sores which contained the substance.[8]"

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006

Well, I guess you can hope that further drug tests show that Landis was applying testosterone cream to his ding dong for HIS saddle sores.

Yeah Spain for winning the Tour de France. It was also fabulous the way Sastre fought his way back on the last day into third place so he will be on the podium!!!!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

All I heard was that a higher amount of testosterone was found in his blood - I have not heard any charge that he was found to have artificial enhancents.

On that basis he remains innocent until proven guilty.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

There is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty in pro cycling. The top contenders were kicked out this year for being under suspicion.

If his other sample tests high, his title will be revoked.

I would like to see numbers compared to normal range. There is a known effect where testosterone is boosted by winning, it is also boosted by intense exertion.

Landis had the ride of his life that day. Massive exertion combined with that amazing comback would be a great natural boost to testosterone.

I am almost certain he will lose here. I find that really sad. We will never really know what happened. It is not like he can have the ride of his life in the tour again to demonstrate the effect. I image this cloud is having the opposite effect.

This is just sad all around. Sad for the sport if he is doping. Terribly sad for Landis if he is indeed innocent.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006

It is interesting to see the headlines stating that Landis proclaims his innocence. Landis has done no such thing. He has responded to the allegations in a Clintonesque fashion.

First of all, he had to disappear for several days to confer with his lawyers and his medical experts to come up with carefully worded statements, which he had to refer to during his news statement. I am sure that someone who really had won without using any banned substances would be flabergasted at the results of the test and would immediately protest their innocence in their own words.
Secondly, he has NOT made a statement that he did not take steroids or testosterone in any form. He did state that he is not "in any doping situation right now". Well, I guess that means he is not currently taking any illegal agents now that the race is over, or it could mean that he did not blood dope- the term for using EPO or autologous blood. He did say that his high level COULD be a natural spike- but he didnt say that it MUST be.

Thirdly, his opinion on use of illegal substances is "that he hopes that parents watch the race with their kids and help them understand the choices that have to be made with the races" or something obscure like that... meaning what- that parents should help their kids understand that the ends justify the means???

Testing is complicated and will likely give him the benefit of the doubt should there be any discrepancies in interpretation. But I think Landis has all ready admitted to us with his wording and silence that he is in fact guilty. COME ON, LANDIS. STAND UP LIKE A MAN (YOU HAVE ENOUGH TESTOSTERONE ON BOARD), LOOK US IN THE EYE AND SAY " I DID NOT, I HAVE NOT, I WILL NOT EVER TAKE PERFORMANCE ENHANCING STEROIDS OF ANY SORT OR OTHER PERFORMANCE ENHANCING AGENTS."

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006
Re: Tour de frace, drug scandals continue, Landis tests posi

Cycling has got to prove itself drug free to the whole world - what a hard task!

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006

You can only prove yourself drug free if you ARE drug free, and that is why it is not a HARD task, but an IMPOSSIBLE task.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006

lo2 said:
Cycling has got to prove itself drug free to the whole world - what a hard task!

Name a sport other than Lawn Bowling that doesn't have a drug problem.

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006

Hotshot said:
lo2 said:

Name a sport other than Lawn Bowling that doesn't have a drug problem.

Lawn Bowling I have never heard of that...

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah------SPAIN WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again the United States learns that the desire to win at any cost can backfire.

I expect the Mennonite community is also saying " See that's what happens when our youth leave the fold and are corrupted by the great American dream of fame and wealth."

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled

lo2 said:

Dont try and diffuse the responsiblity here. It is Landis and by extension America that is shamed here.

I second fuzzylogixs congradulations to Spain who placed first and third and to Germany for placing second.