Here's the reason why Zidane headbutted Materazzi

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
'Zidane was goaded by racist slur'
10th July 2006

Final duties: The Algerian Zinedine Zidane arrives at the Elysee Palace in Paris today to meet French President Jacques Chirac. Like a lot of the "France" team - probably the majority of it - he isn't French.

Zinedine Zidane, who was sent off for headbutting Italian defender Marco Materazzi in the chest during the World Cup final, was responding to being called 'a terrorist', according to reports today.

Zidane's headbutt was "provoked" by a comment from the Italy defender, according to the player's agent.

And, while Alain Migliaccio did not know what Materazzi said, he confirmed that Zidane would reveal all soon.

The France captain was sent off in the World Cup final - his last game before retirement - after driving his shaven head into the chest of Materazzi in the first period of extra time.

The Italians went on to win a penalty shootout after extra time had ended with the score level at 1-1 while the best player of his generation lurked somewhere in the bowels of Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

But Zidane's agent, Migliaccio, claims Materazzi insulted the French-born son of Algerian immigrants.

"He was very sad for everything that happened but this is life," Migliaccio told Radio Five Live.

"He is a human being not a god. I know Zizou (Zidane) well and even though he hasn't told me exactly what Materazzi said, I know that he was provoked.

"Materazzi said something very grave to him, I don't know what it was. I know Zizou well and he will not reveal what Materazzi said to him but he will in one or two days' time explain why he had such a reaction.

"When he is calmer he will speak. When I saw him at 2am he was very sad, he didn't want to end his career like this. He was simply very sad.

"He is a person that doesn't say much but bottles it up and then one day explodes."

Others had earlier claimed he was riled by goading by Materazzi, who was clearly seen twisting the Frenchman's nipple in the run-up to the incident.

While Materazzi refused to comment after the match there has been speculation in French newspaper L'Equipe that he called the French-Algerian Zidane "a terrorist."

Zidane's furious French team-mate William Gallas raged at Materazzi's provocation. "When I see this, I want to smash his face. Sometimes you have players who are clever and say something to you and you are very angry and want to kill that player."

I am ashamed of Zizou, says Leboeuf

Lashing out: Zidane's headbutt powers into the chest of Materazzi

However, Zidane's fellow former World Cup winner Frank Leboeuf is at a loss to explain what made the France captain commit his shameful headbutt.

Leboeuf, part of the team alongside Zidane which won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, can still scarcely believe what he saw from his old colleague in Berlin.

"I cannot accept what he did," the ex-Chelsea defender told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I think Materazzi said something very bad to him for him to react like that.

"But it doesn't matter what he said - you cannot agree with what he did. I feel very ashamed - because it is not the kind of thing that this team does."

Zidane will never have the chance to redeem himself, because the final against Italy was his last match before retirement - and that makes the incident even more regrettable for Leboeuf.

"He has been such a great footballer and a wonderful human being... I don't understand what happened," he added.

"He has a hot temper; he can react, as we have seen two or three times in his career.

"He is a very shy person, a quiet guy - not the kind of guy to show the image he did.

"He should have been focused on the real target - the World Cup. To go out like that, end his great career like that, is a pity."

Zidane given best player award

After his moment of madness, Zidane may have been the surprise winner of the Goldenball award but the voting for the award was carried at half-time in the final.

Zidane, 34, topped a poll of journalists covering the event ahead with 2,012 points ahead of Italian pair Fabio Cannavaro (1,977) and Andrea Pirlo (715).

Zidane was disappointing in France's opening games and was suspended for their crucial final group match against Togo.

He returned to give match-winning performances against Spain, Brazil and Portugal and had hoped for a glorious career finale in Berlin.

That was on course to happen as he netted the penalty that gave France the lead but Italy responded to take the match to extra time.

Zidane had a great chance to win the game when he forced a fine save from Gianluigi Buffon with a header but the last memory of him on a field was him charging at Materazzi and headbutting him in his chest over a comment made by the defender.

dailymail.co.uk

Reactions: Andem

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Blackleaf said:
Final duties: The Algerian Zinedine Zidane arrives at the Elysee Palace in Paris today to meet French President Jacques Chirac. Like a lot of the "France" team - probably the majority of it - he isn't French.

Somebody who was born and raised in Marseille (and plays on the French national team) isn't French? What a crazy world we live in.

It will be interesting to hear from Zidane himself about what was said to him.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
'Sticks and stones will break my bones but.....'

Good grief. Soccer players already have a reputation for acting like whimps on the field. You don't hurt your team because some fellow knows how to get your blood up. Suck it up and punch him in the face after the match.

On the darker side, I wonder if late in the game some of these players aren't a little more edgy and perked up by some chemical help.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Or maybe they're edgy because they are tired after running for over two hours (in this case)?

It was a stupid thing to do, and there isn't any excuse for him doing it, but if allegations of racist comments are true, then you'd hope that FIFA would punish Materazzi somehow. They've made a lot of noise about stamping out racism lately.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Here's the reason why

yep cus "soccer players" all wear tons of padding shoulder, chest, mouth and head gaurds......what typical north american response about a game they usually know little about....unlike the rest of the world.

yep and apparently the "british" are ignorant

at least you need skill to play aSOCCiation football, unlike the pansy-assed mumy's boy armour wearing Rugby football you play.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Re: RE: Here's the reason why

Daz_Hockey said:
at least you need skill to play aSOCCiation football, unlike the pansy-assed mumy's boy armour wearing Rugby football you play.

:lol:

How deep are you going to dig this hole?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I wasnt on about victoria rules football...I was on about grid iron actually...not Aussie Rules.....

why did you think I was going on about u FuFlans?

It just makes me laugh when someone says something like "arghh soccer's popular here with the kids, but when they get older they play a proper man's sport" sexist for one and frankly you do need a hell of a lot more skill to play "Soccer" than Grid Iron

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
I think your perceptions about 'gridiron' football are just as silly as the perceptions of those who think soccer is a sissy sport for little kids.

Neither are easy to play and neither are for 'sissies' (despite the padding). One doesn't require more skill than the other - they require different types of skill.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Re: RE: Here's the reason why Zidane headbutted Materazzi

fuflans said:
Or maybe they're edgy because they are tired after running for over two hours (in this case)?

It was a stupid thing to do, and there isn't any excuse for him doing it, but if allegations of racist comments are true, then you'd hope that FIFA would punish Materazzi somehow. They've made a lot of noise about stamping out racism lately.

I understand your reasoning but don't agree. What one player says to another is between them. If I was punished, or the other players for things said to me on the ice rink, there would be no hockey...and I'd guess no baseball, football, boxing and so on. Verbal jibes are part of the game and no player would last 2 seconds who can't understand that and take it. If a player said some racial slur to fans, off the field, etc. then I'd agree that it's not appropriate. I've had hockey players over to my place for a BBQ and beer who a few days before did everything on the ice short of spitting in my face.

This Zidane fellow isn't 10 years old and green. I'm sure he's been taunted in every manner by players and fans for 20 years. I say he was edgy on stimulants and lost it. The Italians (not the name the French would have called them one-on-one on the fied) could have had half the French team red-carded if this was about verbal taunts and not Zidane's irrational response.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

hehe very true, very true...but Hockey is a great game.....and actually you dont wear any padding in Hockey unless ur the goalkeeper here.....

It's supposed to mean Hockey, not ICE Hockey...honest!!!

hehehe......and I still think you need more "skill" and wizardry to play "soccer" than gridiron

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa

athabaska said:
fuflans said:

I understand your reasoning but don't agree. What one player says to another is between them. If I was punished, or the other players for things said to me on the ice rink, there would be no hockey...and I'd guess no baseball, football, boxing and so on. Verbal jibes are part of the game and no player would last 2 seconds who can't understand that and take it. If a player said some racial slur to fans, off the field, etc. then I'd agree that it's not appropriate. I've had hockey players over to my place for a BBQ and beer who a few days before did everything on the ice short of spitting in my face.

This Zidane fellow isn't 10 years old and green. I'm sure he's been taunted in every manner by players and fans for 20 years. I say he was edgy on stimulants and lost it. The Italians (not the name the French would have called them one-on-one on the fied) could have had half the French team red-carded if this was about verbal taunts and not Zidane's irrational response.

Yeah I realize that it's a bit hypocritical to criticise this and not every instance of racisim (or whatever actually happened) that occurs in soccer. I've played hockey/football/basketball/soccer/ baseball etc. for a long time and know that trash talking happens everywhere. Also, Zidane should have turned the other cheek like he's probably done a million times before. What he did was inexcusable and I'd be furious with him if I were on his team. Not very professional of him.

The problem for FIFA is that the comments provoked an incident involving someone who is arguably the best player in the sport, during a crucial moment of the most important match with over a billion people watching. It was as high profile an incident as possible. If what Materazzi said can be proven (and this'll probably never happen, except maybe in the court of public opinion), then FIFA would be stupid not to punish him as well. Heck, they went so far as to make a 'Fair Play Code' to discourage things such as this from happening. They make a lot of noise about getting rid of racisim in the sport.

As for what made Zidane have this colossal brain fart in the first place - whether he was tired, had taken stimulents, was under incredible pressure or all of the above, it's all just speculation (just like what the comments made by Materazzi were :)).

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Just think how Zidane could have used this incident to his advantage. He could have gone and picked up the ball and walked over to the fellow, looked him in the eyes and in a polite voice asked him to repeat what he had said. The whole world would have been watching and waiting. Then Zidane could have given the ball to the ref and continued on playing and let the cards fall where they may. A class act (if the provocation was something intolerable).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Or it could be that Zidane got angry because Materazzi told him what happens in the next episode of "Lost."

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa

Blackleaf said:
Or it could be that Zidane got angry because Materazzi told him what happens in the next episode of "Lost."

After he had just ordered it on DVD? :)

Yeah, this whole thing sucks. It's too bad that he didn't act in a more appropriate way (like you mentioned, athabaska).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Breaking News: Singer Sophie Ellis Bexter has been found dead in the French football team's hotel. Police think it was murder on Zidane's floor....

Teams in Spain's Primera Liga have all been issued with specially-designed new kits for all their players for when they come up against Real Madrid's Zinedine Zidane.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Terrible joke, she wrote a song called "murder on the dance floor"

get it? "murder on Zi Danes floor" terrible honestly, plus it's been confirmed that the italian told zidane (after his mother died the night before) that all his family should "rot in hell" thats why he did it...FACT