Weather on England's side? (England vs Ecuador)

kevingoal111

Jun 19, 2006
The weather forecast seems to be for heavy showers later this afternoon.

So unless there is a micro-climate over Stuttgart, they might get rain (and plenty of it).

Not sure how important the weather really is but I'm sure that the
English team would prefer rain than sticky heat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come to share your emotion with other fans.
http://www.talkbrand.com/cup
:D

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England 1-0 Ecuador.

England are in the Quarter Finals for the 9th time and will play either Portugal or Holland.

England's best performance so far in this World Cup and, unlike the previous three group games, played well for the whole 90 minutes rather than in just one half.

Rooney played his first full game and looked extremely dangerous and ran rings around the Ecuadorian defenders, getting himself out of awkward situtations by nutmegging (kicking the ball through the legs) of the defenders. Sometimes you think: "There's no way he's gonna get out of that. The Ecuadorians are gonna come away with the ball." A few twists and turns and a few little bits of trickery with the feet and Rooney still got free of the defenders and almost scored.

And there was none of the long ball play that England used especially in their first two games. They kept the ball well and passed it well and were patient. Against Paraguay and T&T the defenders mostly hoofed it down field to the strikers completely bypassing midfield. There was none of that today.

And Beckham's goal - superb.

It was a good performance.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England go through to quarter-finals

25th June 2006

Beckham celebrates his 60th minute goal with Ashley Cole.

England 1 Ecuador 0

A reinvigorated England have gone through to the quarter-finals following David Beckham's goal in the 59th minute. The captain scored by curling a free-kick over the wall from the area.

It could have been so different, as the Lions almost went 1-0 down in the 11th minute. A last minute touch by Ashley Cole meant the Ecuadorian shot by Carlos Tenorio hit the cross bar.

John Terry was given a yellow card in the 17th minute after a high tackle hit Tenorio's shoulder. By the 23rd minute Ecuador's Luis Valencia had also been booked with a yellow for delaying Beckham's free-kick.

It was 28 minutes before England had a worthwhile attempt on goal, Mora saving a low drive from Lampard after a neat lay-off by Rooney. A free-kick by Beckham from the centre of the park in the 34th minute sailed wide past the goal.

Tenorio joined the yellow-carded players in the 35th minute for a challenge on John Terry.

Owen Hargreaves was left writhing in agony in the 44th minute just off the pitch after a challenge from Agustin Delgado. He was able to return to play before half-time.

Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson was grim-faced by 45 minutes and the England team would have had a stern talking to in the changing rooms.

Neither England or Ecuador made any changes for the second-half of their World Cup match, despite unconvincing play by both teams.

However, there was some promising play by Wayne Rooney in the 53rd minute, after he flicked the ball off the outside of his boot to Steven Gerrard. However, nobody was able to get on the end of his cross from the left.

Then Beckham renewed hopes of a place in the quarter-finals in the 59th minute, after he scored by curling a free-kick over the wall from the area.

Later he explained a ribbing from Wayne Rooney and text message from Roberto Carlos inspired the match-winning free-kick.

He told BBC1: "To be honest I have not scored for a while and I not scored many free-kicks this season. But last night Wayne said to me I have been terrible in the last few games and Roberto Carlos texted me to score a goal for him so I am more than happy."

Beckham admitted that he was sick after scoring the winner, adding: "I didn't feel very well before the game and then in the second half and it just came out."

The Real Madrid man did not care who he gets in the next round but admitted England's display was "ugly".

He said: "I don't care. We have done our job. We were ugly at times but we are through."

It's true that England was invigorated and Wayne Rooney tricked Ivan Hurtado leaving him behind on the right flank in the 73rd minute. The striker bore down on goal, but Lampard kicked Rooney's pass way over the bar.

However, play was soured when Carragher and Robinson received yellow cards for time-wasting.

Aaron Lennon came on for David Beckham and forced a number of throw-ins taking England ever closer to full-time.

The final whistle blew after three minutes of extra-time. England 1 Ecuador 0.

Today's game has been somewhat marred by the violent clashes by English and German fans last night which led to hundreds of arrests in Stuttgart.

German police said 375 of the 378 detained were freed today but they will be banned from going into the city centre until tomorrow. Those with tickets will be allowed to attend the game.

dailymail.co.uk

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England fan plays the diplomat with in-laws from Ecuador
25th June 2006

England fan Nick Roll watching England VS Ecuador on TV....with his Ecuadorian wife and her family.

An English fan had more reason than most to feel relieved after watching his team's victory today - surrounded by his Ecuadorian wife and her family.

Nick Roll, 37, was outnumbered by the noisy South American contingent who had invaded his Bristol home for the World Cup clash.

Viviana Montero, 33, her parents and her five friends cheered on the underdogs, as Mr Roll did his best to get behind Sven's men.

"It's fair to say I feel pretty relieved," he said after the final whistle blew.

"I had my England top on today but I was the only one. I was surrounded by Ecuadorians, Colombians and a Scot.

"It did feel a bit like an away game."

The couple, who married five years ago, had been joking all week about who would win the big game and tensions boiled over as the final whistle blew.

"Nick was shouting 'England' and my dad was crying. I had to kick him to be quiet.

"There have been a lot of jokes going round between my parents and Nick, but we're very sad.

"We played well and England were a little disappointing."

Ms Montero and teacher Mr Roll, 37, had a daughter, Sofia, last month and her parents Guillermo and Esther flew over to England from their home in Guayaquil to see their granddaughter.

"Guillermo says she supports Ecuador, but I'm not sure about that," Mr Roll said.

"The family are a bit disappointed but we're still going to party. If there was a World Cup for partying the Ecuadorians would win it every time."