Boozy Ascot man: How I fell at the 14th

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Man who drunk too much Pimms at the horseraces tells of his embarassement......

Boozy Ascot man: How I fell at the 14th
by REBECCA CAMBER, Daily Mail

23rd June 2006

Oh dear: and poor Frank Corke thought 'no one would notice'

Flushed with success from an early win, the celebrations were long and exuberant for one particular punter at the Royal Ascot.

Considerably refreshed by a cocktail of lager, champagne and Pimms, Frank Corke thought no one would notice if he rested his weary head for just a few seconds in the dying afternoon sunshine after a long, hard day placing wagers. But that's when his luck ran out.

For his deep slumber on the grassy bank amongst the bustle of the racecourse caught the eye, not only of disapproving racegoers, but also a passing photographer who captured the 50-year-old's undignified recline amongst a cluster of discarded beer glasses.

Unfortunately for the unsuspecting punter, the resulting photograph published in the Mail was also spotted by his boss who had given the plumber that day off to do some gardening at home.

Faced with the undeniable evidence that his employee had been napping at Ascot, instead of the mowing the lawn and tackling the weeds in his garden at home in Enfield as he had claimed to be, the penalty was severe.

His foreman Martin Poole decided to teach the errant worker a lesson.

He texted every member of staff working for the plumbing and central heating contracting firm, even notifying the managing director of his misfortunes.

Soon the humiliating adventure was known throughout the building site, where he was supposed to be working in Perivale, west London.

Mr Poole also printed copies of the offending photograph and arranged for a driver to distribute copies to other contractors they work with.

But worse was yet to come for the hungover father of two.

When he arrived home yesterday, his wife Vicky, 50, was waiting for him.

With a grave face, she confronted her husband with the stern words, "Have you told your mother?".

Fortunately, his wife and children, Robert, 18, and Elizabeth,15, have now seen the funny side, as have his bosses who have had a chuckle at his expense.

Although he is still too shame-faced to tell his 73-year-old mother, Myrtle.

Yesterday Mr Corke was feeling a bit sheepish about his booze-fuelled nap.

"The day went well. We hit the nearest bar as soon as we got there. From there we went from bar to bar.

"I got engrossed in the atmosphere, the champagne was flowing. It was a lovely hot day.

"I can't remember what time it was. It was towards the end of the afternoon. Everyone was in a jocular mood and a great time was had by all.

"I was a bit merry, I'd had too much to drink and I just sat down and nodded off.

"I could see no reason not to lie down. I just closed my eyes.

"I thought no one would notice. I knew I was incapacitated. I remember the sun was beating down on me and my mates were laughing then I must have fallen asleep.

"I felt a bit woozy when I woke up but I thought no one had noticed.

"Then hey presto, I discovered that I'd been rumbled in the newspaper."

Accompanied by a 14-strong group of market traders from Walthamstow, Mr Corke agreed to go to the racecourse for the first time several weeks ago.

At the beginning of this week, he asked his boss for a day off, explaining that he had some urgent gardening to attend to otherwise he would be in trouble with his wife who wanted the work done before the family flew to Lanzarote on holiday later this month.

Mr Poole, 51, who has known the plumber for 34 years, agreed to the request, unaware of his real plans.

At 10am on Tuesday, the party boarded a minibus in Enfield to take them to the racecourse, preparing for the big day ahead by consuming numerous cans of lager on route.

When they arrived Mr Corke, who had not eaten all day, rolled out of the minibus to begin hitting the bars in earnest.

Pooling their funds after the group had an early £350 win on an accumulator involving several horses, they set out to spent the proceeds at the bar.

Having sunk at least eight glasses of champagne and six glasses of Pimms, Mr Corke was a little unsteady on his feet.

Merry and slurring his words, his friends decided to leave him by the concourse whilst he enjoyed 40 winks.

Lying supine, with his legs akimbo and mouth lolling open, he was a figure of amusement for passers-by.

At one point, two concerned ladies attempted to pull him to his feet, but bleary-eyed and gruff at the disturbance to his afternoon snooze, Mr Corke rebuffed their efforts, rolling onto his front to continue his rest.

He claims not to remember how long he lay there or what finally woke him up.

But when he finally he came to, blinking in the glare of the sunset, he attempted to get up falling over his feet before lurching off to find his companions, forgetting his mobile phone which he left at the spot.

To the amusement of his friends, he continued to snooze on the hour-long trip home.

When the group proceeded to a local pub to watch the England-Sweden game, not even a love of his country could keep him from snoring in front of the television.

The next morning he awoke with a stinking hangover, and dutifully trudged into work at 6.55am looking ashen.

Mr Poole said: "He looked a bit fragile when he came in but I didn't think anything of it.

"Obviously I thought he was at home working on his garden, but when I saw the Mail I couldn't believe it.

"There he was flat on his back lying on the grass at Ascot.

"We have all had a laugh about it, to be honest. He's not in any trouble. I think he's learned his lesson.

"Everyone has been wetting themselves over that picture. He looks a sight."

Having escaped the wrath of his employers, Mr Corke remains philosophical about his experience, although he says he won't be in a hurry to go to Ascot again.

He added: ""I'm extremely embarrassed about it now.

"It was a complete bombshell when I was found out. It's a hell of a way to get famous. "Everyone is laughing about it now. There's no harm been done. My suit's not been damaged.

"But I don't think I'll live this one down for a while."

dailymail.co.uk

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If British football fans in Germany are behaving themselves for once, and have been praised by a German policeman who called them "the best fans in the world", that hasn't stopped the toffs at Ascot from getting involved in a mass brawl whilst still wearing their top hats and suits. People even started to fight each other over the very last bottle of rose champagne at the Mumm tented bar.

If the British can't fight each other in Germany, then we'll just have to do it at Royal Ascot instead.
------------------------------------------------------------

Fist past the post

And the latest score is:

Toffs at Royal Ascot 28 - 13 England fans in Germany.

By JEROME STARKEY in Ascot
and NICK PARKER in Germany

TIPSY “Topper Yobs” ran riot at Royal Ascot — brandishing fenceposts and champagne flutes in a horrifying brawl.

At least 20 punters, both men AND women, waded in near the historic track, just a few hundred yards from where the Queen had watched a day’s racing.

Ten police officers had to brave the frenzied group — some clad in top hats and tails — as they fought beside rows of stretch limos in the main car park.

A total of 14 people were arrested during disturbances on Wednesday — Day Two of the elite meeting in Berkshire.

Five more were held yesterday — Ladies Day. Nine were nicked on Tuesday.

This brings to 28 the number of people held in just three days of the posh event where one of the VIPs was Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell.

Meanwhile, just 13 England fans were held in the same period in Germany, where tens of thousands of once-notorious Lionhearts have poured in to watch Our Boys’ World Cup bid.

And last night one supporter awaiting Sunday’s clash with Ecuador quipped: “I’m glad I’m here, not in Ascot. It doesn’t sound safe.”

Shocked onlookers told how plastered racegoers punched, kicked and even headbutted each other on Wednesday.

They also pulled fenceposts from the ground to use as weapons and hurled chairs at one another.

Others tried to glass each other with champagne flutes and fought running battles through picnicking families.

Race fans told how one woman smashed a post over a man’s head, while another swung a plastic seat in the air, yelling four-letter abuse. The scuffle started after two women from rival parties began arguing about their picnics. It became a full-scale brawl when their fellas tried to break it up.

Stunned Amanda Armstrong, 35, said: “It was a riot. One minute everyone was having a civilised drink, and the next minute fists were flying everywhere.

“I couldn’t believe it. You don’t expect fighting at a posh do like Royal Ascot.

“They were like the worst sort of football hooligans.”

The mum of two, from Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, was with a separate group nearby when the fight began.

She added: “Some of the women had had an argument and it escalated from there — they all sort of charged at each other.

“People were wading in and trying to pull each other apart, but then they would get stuck in as well. It was obvious they had all been drinking quite heavily. We thought it was just men fighting — then we saw it was women as well.

“They were the worst. One had a 2ft stake and was battering a man’s head. There was blood everywhere.”

Amanda’s pal Linda Clements, 41, from Watford, said: “The whole thing lasted almost half an hour.

“We were too scared to try to break it up. There were just too many of them and it was really violent.”

A Thames Valley Police spokeswoman confirmed a 21-year-old man was arrested for affray. He was still in custody last night. A man of 40 was charged with a public order offence. He was later released.

Ascot’s head of PR Nick Smith said: “Sadly there will always be some who don’t behave as we’d wish.”

Racegoers swigged 34,000 bottles of champers on Wed- nesday, plus 32,000 pints of beer, 2,800 bottles of Pimms and 2,100 litres of wine.

And yesterday drunken punters came to blows over the last bottle of rose champagne at the Mumm tented bar. One barmaid said: “There was a real scuffle.”

Meanwhile, England’s travelling footie army — feared after riots in previous tournaments — quaffed beer and enjoyed the summer festival of football in Germany.

They have already been hailed by police as “the best fans in the world” after exemplary behaviour.

At the England fans’ campsite in Baden-Baden, fans spoke of their amazement at the Ascot riot. Camp boss Connor Nolan said: “I’ve seen no trouble here. It’s hilarious that hell’s breaking loose among the toffs at Ascot.”

thesun.co.uk