World Cup 2006 - Germans blast American beer.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Germans blast Budweiser

By DAVID WOODING
Whitehall Editor

American beer: So weak it wouldn't even make an ant drunk.

BUDWEISER have scored a £23million own goal by sponsoring the World Cup in a country where the beer is HATED.

Germans say Bud is “weak ditchwater”. Footie fan Johannes Schnitter, who has launched an anti-Bud website, said: “We don’t want it at our World Cup. This is just the worst beer you could imagine. It is an insult to your tongue.”

Bosses at the American brewer paid out their millions for the exclusive alcohol rights to the World Cup, in 1998 — BEFORE the hosts were chosen.

That decision could now cause them a huge financial hangover.

German fans are being urged to boycott the beer while a dispute with Czech brewer Budweiser Budvar prevents the US firm actually using the name Budweiser in Germany.

It means the famous red logo will not be seen on pitch-side hoardings.

The US giant pleaded to use the name Bud but Germans insisted that was too similar to their popular Bit brand.

Now the company has been forced to use the not-so-catchy “Anheuser-Busch Bud” name to promote itself.

Executives in St Louis, Missouri, knew they had a problem in 2004 when German fans first began protesting.

But they stuck it out, feeling it more important to promote their beer on worldwide TV.

Tony Jennings, UK spokesman for Budweiser Budvar, refutes any suggestion of glee over their rival’s predicament. He said: “Remember, we have to put up with a similar situation in the US, where we have to sell our beer as Czechvar.”

Refusing to cry into his beer, Budweiser chief Tony Ponturo said: “The long-standing dispute will not hamper our efforts to activate strong World Cup marketing programmes that will support our sales image in Germany and around the world.”

thesun.co.uk

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Payback time

Americans have dumped French wine into the toilet since their avoidance of Iraq support.

Nobody mentions the U.S. has some fine wineries now and makes their own world class beverages, however the French are shocked and surprised their imports are at the bottom of the "in" lists.

Germans' turn to knock the beer.

I hope they leave the "women" comparisons alone :p

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: World Cup 2006 - Germ

Nah American beer is a bit poor though, and we all know the germans love their BIG glasses of beer, infact, I went to a german bar in Minnesota, drinking "die boot" which is HUGE!!!.....And I've been to hamburg and drunk their stuff which is far far stronger than the majority of US stuff, not really surprised the germans are so against it....one thing they have is some god almighty intoxicating beer...more like moonshine really, theyre so used to that, Budweiser just wont match up, even if they have a german name.

Oh by the way, as an Englishman, I like sitting on the frence for this one, just a quick point, but has anyone ever seen a Lager in america?, swear they dont do them

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
american beer--- is absolutely worthless
pure crappy --pisss

ive had that opinion since was 15 years old
the worst of the bunch is that absolutely weak coors lite merde pure merde

---- and i understand--- coors is a somewhat fascist company-- at least thats what a democrat friend of mine said

coors--- oh yeah--fascist beer---

i think they have -- or had a discriminatory hiring policy--
ie no gays etc

wines ---- the french still make good wines
reds anyway

my favorite french wine that costs less than 20 bucks a bottle ---is called FAT BASTARD-- 15 canadian bucks--
even that is a bit decadent for me

did you ever increase you spending of french products --- since their wonderfully anti-war criminal stance vis a vis iraq--- i have

and i love it

vive la france

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Don't dispair oldnugly most pubs in NS carry Lager. Those poor Germans, maybe the bosses at Bud's headshop can alter the beer fomula to include half beer half vodka a few drops of gravy browner and viola you have strong beer.