World Rally Championships

sha_zapple

Nominee Member
Jan 26, 2006
I figured its a motorsport, so it could go in this forum.

Anyone else watch them? They used to be on SpeedTV, but it was dropped. I didnt think SpeedTV could get any worse but I was wrong. Theyre officially as bad as nascar now (I guess you could say I dont like Nascar!)

For those who havent heard of Rally, its a type of motorsport where you have to race along several predetermined courses (called stages). Each stage is different and theyre usually country roads or twisty mountain passes. They race on any kind of road (Snow, dirt, tarmac) and any kind of weather.

Subaru, Ford, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Skoda, Peugeot, Citroen, and Audi are some examples of the types of cars they use (although half of the ones I listed no longer compete)

My favourite team is Subaru, with Petter Solberg being their main driver. I'm downloading the European WRC coverage via bittorrent, so Ill soon be up to speed on the new rally (located in Monte Carlo)

Heres a picture from this years rally monte carlo

Rally of Finland (famous for its 'yumps')

lots more pictures here if interested
http://www.rallye-info.com/gallery.asp

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Whoa, that last picture is amazing! It's practically out of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Thanks for posting this, that looks like a very exciting thing to watch.

sha_zapple

Nominee Member
Jan 26, 2006
RE: World Rally Champions

Yeah, the numbers on the side of the road are measurements of how far they jump.

Rally of Sweden

I love doing things like this when it snows :D

Apparently the fastest average speed is in the rally of sweden. Instead of braking they just slide into corners. Of course, the crashes can be pretty gnarly

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

I love WRC. But finding coverage is difficult. I haven't even found a reliable torrent source for WRC. A couple of years ago Speed had full day coverage of the whole year and I watched it all day.

This is all conditions racing in cars that you can buy the near equivalent of, pavement, deserts, dirt, snow, ice, it has it all.

This is the only racing I would actually like to watch and I can't get it.

sha_zapple

Nominee Member
Jan 26, 2006

I used Torrent spy (search for it using google) and used the Keywords WRC. That gave me the rally of Monte carlo preview, day 1, 2, and 3. about 250MB each. Its covered by the TV station Eurosport

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

I use TS but in the past I could not reliably get the feeds I will look again.

I don't understand why WRC isn't more popular.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

I was able to pick up Sweden,but monte carlo seems to be long gone, will have to staty on top of this.

sha_zapple

Nominee Member
Jan 26, 2006

This guy is hosting all of them. Dont know how long it will be up, but donations are welcome.
http://enormouslysideways.net/wrc2006.html

I just finished watching Monte Carlo. Only two factory teams (Subaru and Ford) but having 4 or 5 other privatly backed teams is refreshing.