NHL on the Internet

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I'm really wanting to catch the leafs on some online streaming somewhere. Preferably Audio+Video, but I know there are huge licensing black-outs/restrictions for doing that, so it's probably gonna be some not-very-well-advertised thing if it exists.. and it must!

So does anyone know where I can pickup Canadian hockey games online?!?! TV here is so dry, especially most of the football/soccer games.

Does the CBC stream games online to certain regions (based on IP), or something?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I only know of audio.

I have looked relentlessly to try and get games live on video but can only find highlight clips.

I don't think CBC streams games, but I could be wrong, I know Sportsnet doesn't.

I know you can get video highlights here. and here for live radio when game is on. You need windows media player to view/ listen to either.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Off Topic ...

Canadian youth dies after lacrosse workout:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051101/SPORTS/511010426/1002

Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Bellarmine shaken by lacrosse player's death
Goalie collapses during workouts

By Michael Grant
mgrant@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Rick Passfield, a redshirt freshman lacrosse player at Bellarmine University, collapsed and died yesterday morning while participating in an off-season conditioning drill.

Passfield, a 21-year-old Canadian nicknamed "Tug" or "Tuggy" and described by teammates as fun-loving and upbeat, had completed two of four quarter-mile runs when he was overcome.

"Tuggy went down to his knees just trying to catch his breath," sophomore midfielder Adam Lukanchoff said. "Everyone was like, 'Are you all right?' He said, 'Yeah, I'm fine. I'm fine.'

"Then about 30 seconds later he turned over and was lying on his back. Coach ran over to see if he was all right. He wasn't moving."

Emergency workers arrived at 8:30 a.m., and Passfield was taken to Norton Audubon Hospital, where doctors were unable to resuscitate him. He was pronounced dead at 9:20 a.m.

Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Jack Arnold said a preliminary autopsy did not reveal a cause of death. The cause will be announced pending further tests. It could take 4-6 weeks before those results are known.

Bellarmine Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs Fred Rhodes called it "a truly tragic day for Bellarmine University."

"He will be sorely missed by his teammates as well as the entire Bellarmine community," Rhodes said. "Rick's death is a devastating tragedy for our entire community. We ask for everyone's prayers for his family, friends and teammates in this very difficult time."

Passfield, a native of Oshawa, Ontario, was competing for the starting goalkeeping position after sitting out last season due to academic ineligibility. Coach Jack McGetrick said Passfield was "working hard" to get back in condition to play for the NCAA Division I program.

Bellarmine had its inaugural lacrosse season this year. It technically was Division II but will achieve full Division I status when its second season starts in February. Passfield was to be a part of that transition.

"He was a very positive member of our team," McGetrick said. "(The team) is devastated. He was close with a lot of people. He is a very outgoing and warm individual. He's very supportive of his teammates. He had a lot of close friends here that he played with before in Canada."

Goalkeeper J.C. Hutchins said Passfield "was one of those guys who was the life of the party. He was always happy. There are no dull moments around him."

McGetrick said the team has been conducting quarter-mile runs for several weeks. Members of the team do four quarter-mile runs. After Passfield's second run, he sat down. McGetrick next saw him on his back.

"I said, 'Rick, it's not good for you to lie down like that. Come on. It's your turn to run,' " the coach said. "Although there was no response, I attributed it to him wearing headphones or earphones. I went over to Rick, shook him and there was no immediate response.

"I immediately started to give CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. One of my players who had CPR training started to give the chest compressions. We worked on him until the EMTs came."

McGetrick said that every player is administered a preseason physical exam. He added that he was not aware of any pre-existing condition that could have contributed to Passfield's death. The coach said Passfield never had complained of any discomfort in the previous runs. He did say Passfield "would have trouble" completing a seven-minute mile.

Passfield was a standout goalkeeper in the Ontario club lacrosse circuit. According to the publication Whitby This Week, Passfield played for the Clarington Green Gaels Junior B squad from 2001 through 2002, and the team won a Founder's Cup Championship in his final season.

The past three seasons he played summer lacrosse for the Whitby Warriors.

"This is not something you would expect to happen to a 21-year-old man," Warriors general manager Bob Hanna said. "I've known him and his family for a long, long time. It's a very difficult thing. It's such a shock and hard to understand. In the three years he played for us there was never any indication that he had a medical problem at all."

That's why Passfield's death was so stunning.

"I just couldn't believe it," Hutchins said. "I was in shock. You think, 'Is this really happening?' "

Plans for an on-campus memorial service are under way. Bellarmine officials said they were not aware of any pending funeral arrangements.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bellarmine in Kentucky has been working very hard to upgrade its lacrosse program. The sport is enjoying an immense resurgence in popularity in the States, especially in the Carolinas, Virginia, and Kentucky. Let's hope that extra precautions will be taken to protect all players henceforth.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Andem said:
I'm really wanting to catch the leafs on some online streaming somewhere. Preferably Audio+Video, but I know there are huge licensing black-outs/restrictions for doing that, so it's probably gonna be some not-very-well-advertised thing if it exists.. and it must!

So does anyone know where I can pickup Canadian hockey games online?!?! TV here is so dry, especially most of the football/soccer games.

Does the CBC stream games online to certain regions (based on IP), or something?

I have a TV tuner for my PC....I could record a few of them for you. (I'm having a bit of an issue with the sound card and the TV tuner on my new machine at the moment...God willing, I will sort it out)

carmela_avs

Jan 23, 2006
yes, i'm having the same problem. since i live in a country where ice hockey is not popular, ESPN asia just stopped airing hockey games since... a few years ago... i was wondering if there are any sites where i can watch live hockey games. so far, someone told me about comcast, of course i can't use that too, because comcast subscribers can only avail of that service, and as i've said i'm not living in the US.. help please..

tawker

Electoral Member
I'm not aware of any live streaming sites. What team do you want to watch, maybe you can find a friend w/ a TV tuner who can "webcam" the game to you. I've done it a few times, brutal on my bandwidth (my upload sucks) but it works.......

Stupid NHL blackouts.

slinky7017

Oct 12, 2006
you can watch nhl hockey on internet

Hi, my name is Robert and I love hockey!!! I recently found you can watch NHL Centerice on tvu player. You have to download the software and the quality isn't great but you can watch NHL games. Go to www.tvunetworks.com and download the software, after it is done and you open the player you will see NHL. But it will play movies when there are no games on. Check your local schedule guide for game times. Enjoy!:cool:

slinky7017

Oct 12, 2006
you can watch nhl hockey on internet

Hi, my name is Robert and I love hockey!! I recently found that you can watch NHL games on the internet with tvu player. Go to www.tvunetworks.com and download the software. Once it's done and you open the player you will see NHL. It will play movies until a game is on though but they are good movies. Hope you enjoy it. Oh, it may take a few minutes for the picture to clear but you will be able to watch NHL games. Robert:cool:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hi, my name is Robert and I love hockey!! I recently found that you can watch NHL games on the internet with tvu player. Go to www.tvunetworks.com and download the software. Once it's done and you open the player you will see NHL. It will play movies until a game is on though but they are good movies. Hope you enjoy it. Oh, it may take a few minutes for the picture to clear but you will be able to watch NHL games. Robert:cool:

Oh I got that program already :D and I can watch NHL now from Germany.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If you guys see the Canucks score a goal please notify all of us immediately.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Be careful downloading from that site. I picked up a Trojan Horse virus that AVG just got in time. (trojan horse PSW lineage PQ)

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I heard on the radio yesterday (Team1040) that NHL tv viewership is way down. It doesn't surprise me. I can't watch this hockey much. The penalties have made it a half-court game. The NHL needs to wake up and put some game back into this figure skating league.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm having a great Easter Sunday, and to top it off, the Toronto Maple Leafs were illimated from the
2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Islanders just beat the Devils in a shoot out, to get into the playoffs, I'm very glad for Ted Nolan, and
Ryan Smythe, and the rest of the islanders.
CONGRATULATIONS

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm having a great Easter Sunday, and to top it off, the Toronto Maple Leafs were illimated from the

Islanders just beat the Devils in a shoot out, to get into the playoffs, I'm very glad for Ted Nolan, and
CONGRATULATIONS

Talloola... is there anything you hate more then Toronto?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

CONGRATULATIONS

That must've been tense going to a shootout to determine a playoff position.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola... is there anything you hate more then Toronto?

I am just a tease, not obsessed. But I am really glad the islanders are in the playoffs, cause I am
much more glad for them, than I am happy toronto are out.

Toronto worked very hard in the last part of the season, they are a fiesty group, but surprisingly
Sundin let them down, as his scoring kind of dried up. They have lots of good players, Kaberle is
a great player, and they will probably be in the playoffs next year again. In the meantime I am
happy for Ted Nolan and his group, as they have done so well this year, and with Ryan Smythe on the
team this year, I am hoping they do well, and that new goalie they have seems to be doing the job
for them, with DiPietro out for the season.

I'm sure you'll get your chance to throw it back at me, I can take it.:lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That must've been tense going to a shootout to determine a playoff position.

Yeah, and also the fact that islanders were leading 2-0, then having devils score the tying goal, with
6 seconds left in game.

I was watching the masters, and kept taking a peak, very nerve racking, but a happy ending for them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I heard on the radio yesterday (Team1040) that NHL tv viewership is way down. It doesn't surprise me. I can't watch this hockey much. The penalties have made it a half-court game. The NHL needs to wake up and put some game back into this figure skating league.

The viewership is down in some of the u.s. cities, not in Canada, and those cities should never have been
given a franchise to begin with, it's just Bettman and his $$$$$$$ signs in his head.

Most people I hear on team 1040 are very happy with new NHL, and then there are some who feel
like you, but they the minority. I listen everyday.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If you guys see the Canucks score a goal please notify all of us immediately.

Very interesting looking back on this post, what a bad team, they'll never make the playoffs!!!!!!!
I guess the next story is that they will never get past the first round of playoffs, well, maybe
they won't, but, so what, if they don't, what a great season, and what a happy season they have
given their fans, Vancouver will have a reason to go 'wacko' for a couple of weeks, or maybe more,
who knows.
For me the glass is always 'half full'.