Why do hockey fans like a good fight?

hollaback

Sep 23, 2004
NS
Hey,
I am doing a University research paper on why violence in hockey has become so dominate in our game. Since the recent Moore Bertuzzi incident the question has arisen in many hockey fans minds, how has it gotten to this level? Who is responsible for this increase, the players, coaches, the league, corporations, the fans, or even Don Cherry? Has violence always been so important in the game, or is this a 21 century thing? I would love to get your opinion on this. Thanks

Isengard

Electoral Member
RE: Why do hockey fans li

I don't think it was always that important, but since the league tried to enter the US market I think they let it be part of the show to bring people to the game. Personnally, I find it useless, it's the only sports where fighting is allowed like this, except for boxing. That goes for assault, hooking too. It just lowers the quality of the game, when you look at european teams playing, the games are much more faster and cleaner, giving a better experience to the spectators.

That's my humble opinion about it, I know a lot of people go nuts when there's a fight and enjoy this a lot, not the case here.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I don't find the hockey today that different from history - in terms of Roman gladiators. They performed in arenas, staged by the wealthy as a means of displaying their power and influence within the local community. So what has really changed? In Roman times they were considered slaves - doctors available if they were injured, fed an expensive diet, etc. Somehow this all feels like history repeating itself. I think the public demands to see this extremely physical type of hockey - and therefore allow the owners to make more money. Has it not always been a fairly physical game, but now has reached new heights? Perhaps because as Isengard says, the expansion into the US something has to be done to keep people watching/paying.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
It is the animal instinct in many people, not all, that enjoys watching this violence - as long as it isn't them involved. We live in a world of entertainment. Almost as if, what happens on TV, is not real, but another video game or Terminator movie. We are detached.

Glad the NHL hockey has had a kick between the legs. It had become a piece of entertainment, and no longer a real "sport".

When your objective is to physically harm your opponent, so that you can beat them, then you are not a skilled sportsman. A real sportsman is judged by their skill, not their brawn and bully tactics.

I stopped enjoying hockey a long time ago.

Giraldi_Theirrey

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2004

YES something negative is said about a Canadian invented sport. YEAH, finally some negative reports about Canada!!

Now I have Proof that Canada is not perfect. But be cautious my friend, the government does not like it when people mentions the facts about Canada. I sure hope they won't assasinate you. Spread the word while you are still alive. I only know that the last guy that said Canada is not perfect has suddenly dissapeared! DUN DUN DUN DUN!!!! Lets hope the government doesn't see this. shhhhhhhhh. I only wanted Canada to admit that they are less then perfect, is that too much?

Should you fall in a conflict with government agents, you shall be known as a great martyr and I will carry the burden of completing your task.

Giraldi_Theirrey

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2004

No sign of the thread starter. ooooooooooooohhhh. CONSPIRACY! Wow those Canucks sure assasinate their opponents quick. Did you caught him at the border or something??

Why did you eradicate him so soon Mr. Canuck? He hasn't even spread the word yet. Oh well. I mean Oh Canada!!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Why do hockey fans li

Giraldi_Theirrey said:
No sign of the thread starter. ooooooooooooohhhh. CONSPIRACY! Wow those Canucks sure assasinate their opponents quick. Did you caught him at the border or something??

Why did you eradicate him so soon Mr. Canuck? He hasn't even spread the word yet. Oh well. I mean Oh Canada!!

Hey, how did you find out about our Canadian Conspiracy Policy?? That is supposed to be an internal thing. Oh, never mind, I feel okay about you knowing. Yes, we assassinated the thread starter. Why? Because it was fun, no other reason. And we tortured him, too. Why? 'Cause we had the devices handy and figured, "Why not?"

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Holloback,

I've been an avid hockey fan for years. Why has the fighting increase or why is it allowed? I think it is because of the money involved. And also for exposure. If your not scoring goals how else are you to stand out?

Funny, as much as everyone seemingly hates fighting in hockey, they all cheer it on at the game.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Why do hockey fans like a good fight?

bevvyd said:
Funny, as much as everyone seemingly hates fighting in hockey, they all cheer it on at the game.

Most people I know freely admit that they like the fighting (I myself most adamantly do not). I have one friend who is a dentist, he is very religious, has a gentle nature, etc., etc.. He says he loves the fighting in hockey because it is something he himself cannot do in real life. His theory, likely a sound one, is that we cannot act on such impulses in our 'civilized' world, so we seek it vicariously through such things as hockey fights, wrestling, reality tv, et al.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Heh, I am only on here for a minute (can't sleep) but had to answer this... his dental office is the one that handles the hockey emergencies during home games. Job security, you betcha.

Treb

Oct 7, 2004
I think everyone here is trying to be too politically correct. For one thing, hockey fighting has actually decreased. And with the decrease of fighting, cheap shots and illegal stickwork have increased. The instigator rule has messed up the game and left players unprotected. And contrary to popular opinion, the players don't fight to entertain the fans. The NHL doesn't encourage it. The players aren't out there thinking about getting more ratings by drawing in a bloodthirsty audience. They fight to protect each other. It's not about the fans, it's about keeping their teammates safe by enforcing the unwritten rules of hockey.
I enjoy fights. I'm also religous. I admit that sometimes I struggle with that, with the idea that while I'm supposed to "Love my neighbour" and "Turn the other cheek", I enjoy watching two guys pound each other. But ultimately I've come to the conclusion that hockey isn't like real life. Maybe that's why people enjoy watching a hockey fight - it's rebellious. It stands against the politically correct norms of today. It refuses to conform. And it's a wonderful cathartic - maybe it really is what keeps Canadians non-violent. It allows us to be the exact opposite of our peaceful stereotype. I can't help but take delight in the fact that Canadians are the toughest athletes in the world.
Maybe we like it because it seems so heroic. Someone putting himself on the line, willing to endure pain to protect his teammate, the honour of his team, and the code of hockey. It hearkens to medieval times when the knights would bravely sacrifice themselves. We admire hockey players for the bravery it takes to fight, and yearn for the loyalty they show each other. It's a different world, and in a way the brutality is beautiful.
And yes, I know I sound absolutely nuts.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Treb said:
I think everyone here is trying to be too politically correct. For one thing, hockey fighting has actually decreased. And with the decrease of fighting, cheap shots and illegal stickwork have increased. The instigator rule has messed up the game and left players unprotected. And contrary to popular opinion, the players don't fight to entertain the fans. The NHL doesn't encourage it. The players aren't out there thinking about getting more ratings by drawing in a bloodthirsty audience. They fight to protect each other. It's not about the fans, it's about keeping their teammates safe by enforcing the unwritten rules of hockey.
I enjoy fights. I'm also religous. I admit that sometimes I struggle with that, with the idea that while I'm supposed to "Love my neighbour" and "Turn the other cheek", I enjoy watching two guys pound each other. But ultimately I've come to the conclusion that hockey isn't like real life. Maybe that's why people enjoy watching a hockey fight - it's rebellious. It stands against the politically correct norms of today. It refuses to conform. And it's a wonderful cathartic - maybe it really is what keeps Canadians non-violent. It allows us to be the exact opposite of our peaceful stereotype. I can't help but take delight in the fact that Canadians are the toughest athletes in the world.
Maybe we like it because it seems so heroic. Someone putting himself on the line, willing to endure pain to protect his teammate, the honour of his team, and the code of hockey. It hearkens to medieval times when the knights would bravely sacrifice themselves. We admire hockey players for the bravery it takes to fight, and yearn for the loyalty they show each other. It's a different world, and in a way the brutality is beautiful.

Hi Treb, and welcome! Sure you sound nuts, we all do on this forum. It is both our charm and our curse. :cool:

I'd disagree that the players fight to protect each other. They get into fights because they are undisciplined, and I maintain that they fight because the fans love it. Let's face it, you get to pummel some jerk you hate and get cheered for doing it. Most of us could not resist such a perk.

Why do you think Canadians are the toughest athletes in the world, by the way?

Treb

Oct 7, 2004
Haggis McBagpipe said:
Treb said:

Hi Treb, and welcome! Sure you sound nuts, we all do on this forum. It is both our charm and our curse. :cool:

I'd disagree that the players fight to protect each other. They get into fights because they are undisciplined, and I maintain that they fight because the fans love it. Let's face it, you get to pummel some jerk you hate and get cheered for doing it. Most of us could not resist such a perk.

Why do you think Canadians are the toughest athletes in the world, by the way?
Thankyou very much for the welcome! I suppose it's an issue on which we'll have to agree to disagree. Alot of times the people they pummel aren't necessarily people they hate, more often than not it's not that it's something personal, it's that someone has committed an offense that the referee didn't see. They feel it's their duty to deal out punishment, as a disciplinary measure to keep people from doing things that have a high chance of resulting in injury. Far more people are injured from sticks than from fists. Often players will fight together one day and go out for coffee together the next. There are, of course, some players who simply dislike each other, but most have respect for one another, even like each other. I never will believe it's simply for the fans - as I said, agree to disagree, just presenting a different viewpoint, I suppose.
As for Canadians being the toughest athletes . . . okay, I'm biased. But studies have shown that hockey players are the most well-conditioned and pain-tolerant professional athletes in the sporting world. You can't help but take a bit of pride in that.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Personally, I don't like fights in hockey. I always thought that the idea of hockey was skating and puck control. I much prefer watching women's hockey, it's actually better.

The current trend in hockey, which seems to be to attempt to end the careers of good players by either going after their eyes or their knees is disturbing. If I was a coach, and one of my players deliberately went after another player's knees, I think I'd send him home for the night. In no other "profession" except boxing is it common to deliberately try to end your opponents career by injuring them permanently.

Treb

Oct 7, 2004

TenPenny said:
Personally, I don't like fights in hockey. I always thought that the idea of hockey was skating and puck control. I much prefer watching women's hockey, it's actually better.

The current trend in hockey, which seems to be to attempt to end the careers of good players by either going after their eyes or their knees is disturbing. If I was a coach, and one of my players deliberately went after another player's knees, I think I'd send him home for the night. In no other "profession" except boxing is it common to deliberately try to end your opponents career by injuring them permanently.
I agree. The trend toward cheapshots is extremely disturbing. I honestly think that's because of the instigator rule - players no longer have to face the consequences of their actions.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Treb said:
The trend toward cheapshots is extremely disturbing. I honestly think that's because of the instigator rule - players no longer have to face the consequences of their actions.

Perhaps it is a case of violence begetting violence?

I don't know your age, of course, but do you recall (or have you ever seen) the earlier hockey games, circa 60's? There was very little fighting but the hockey action itself was incredible... possibly because it was sustained, uninterrupted by incessant fighting.

I think hockey should be hockey without fighting, and people who want to see good brawls should watch boxing or, for the cheesy factor, wrestling, or, for live action, head out to a bar in the seedier part of town. :cool:

Treb

Oct 7, 2004

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Treb said:
The trend toward cheapshots is extremely disturbing. I honestly think that's because of the instigator rule - players no longer have to face the consequences of their actions.

Perhaps it is a case of violence begetting violence?

I don't know your age, of course, but do you recall (or have you ever seen) the earlier hockey games, circa 60's? There was very little fighting but the hockey action itself was incredible... possibly because it was sustained, uninterrupted by incessant fighting.

I think hockey should be hockey without fighting, and people who want to see good brawls should watch boxing or, for the cheesy factor, wrestling, or, for live action, head out to a bar in the seedier part of town. :cool:
I see your point but I don't think I'll be taking your advice! :lol: I have no problem agreeing to disagree, I just thought I'd add my opinion.

hollaback

Sep 23, 2004
NS
Ok, your guys opinions are great, but some of you do not know what the instigator rule is. It was actually put in place to protect the spotlight players from being attacked. Here is the rule, straight from the NHL rule book:
"An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game incident."
Bascially unless both players say hell yeah to the fight, one of them is getting the instigator penalty. The NHL put this into effect after the increase of figthing in the 70s in hope that star players would not be getting attacked because they had skill.