Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
The Good Ol' Hockey Game?
Original Article is at http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/itemid178.html

By Adam Rutter

April 28, 2004 (CC) - Why do we go to hockey games? Is it because we love to watch a well plated all-round hockey game? Lets be honest here, our parents and grandparents went to watch a well played game in the days of the Rocket and the other great players of the time.

Most of us go to a game hoping for blood and fights, the NHL knows it, the players know it, and we, the fans know it. Emotions in the games run high and the hope of blood and fights looms in the air. Years ago hockey players would use this emotion in the game, not in bar-room brawl-style fights on the ice.

Over the past two seasons violence in the game has become far more common and far more serious. Recently Todd Bertuzzi of the Vancouver Canucks took a very cheap shot on Steve Moore that sent Moore to the hospital with serious injuries. Moore may never be able to play hockey again.

The NHL was quick to react suspending Bertuzzi for the remainder of the NHL season and playoffs and fined him $500,000 US and the Vancouver Canucks $250,000 US for their roles in this horrible incident. What happened with the fans? Nothing. All the Sports stations played and re-played Bertuzzi's violent attack on Steve Moore without any remorse solidifying the justness of this act in our minds.

We crave the violence in hockey, we desire it. WE NEED IT. Fans are just as much to blame for the violent direction hockey has taken as much as the hockey clubs, the NHL and the players. Fans drive the ticket sales making a profit for the clubs, the players and the NHL, all who realize what we, the fans expect from the game... fights and lots of them.

After the Bertuzzi ruling fans cried fowl that the punishment was too "cruel", "unusual", and "unreasonable". Wake up people! It's your own expectations of the game that are unreasonable! Fans were a large deciding factor in on-ice violence, many players have stated this in interviews that their fans want to see the fights and they deliver, boy do they ever!

The RCMP has concluded their criminal investigation into the Bertuzzi-Moore incident and forwarded their findings to the Crown Council who may decide to persue charges against Bertuzzi. Again though, no justice will be had aside from a slap on the wrist, maybe an extended suspension and a fine. If the Crown Council did decide to persue more serious charges against Bertuzzi thousands of fans would rise to Bertuzzi's side holding demonstrations and protests. The Crown is undoubtedly already feeling this intense pressure and because hockey is so big in Canada, they may not want to send one of our biggest stars away to prison. In all likelyness, the NHL feels the same way.

If you or I had done this at work, at a bar, or on the street we would be going to jail for at least 2 years, not Bertuzzi though, it's unthinkable!

Justice? It doesn't exist. Not for Steve Moore, who may never play again and not for the elitest NHL players who seemingly get away with murder.

Vincent_2002

Electoral Member
Mar 27, 2002
Montréal, Quebec
Come on!! Stop bashing the fans its not our fault. Plus, our habs are not so viscious it's just the other teams that get so hard on the ice. It's not fair, yes but remember it's just how the game is played.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Nice article, Adam.

You seem to be putting all the blame on the fans, while I agree with you a lot on that. Be careful about what you say about fans, might get them a little angry?

They do get away with murder, but who's going to stop them? The NHL? I don't think so. Too much is to be made from on-ice fights. It's part of the whole hockey culture now-a-days.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Speak for yourself, Mr Rutter. Just because sound bites from a few neanderthals have been collected doesn't mean true (knowledgeable) hockey fans need fights to enjoy the game. The playoffs are always a good example of this.

Fans DON'T drive ticket sales, at least in Toronto. Most seats are corporately owned.

Perhaps you've hatched the idea (that the violence is demanded by the fans) after watching Gladiator one too many times.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Since most seats are corporately owned, wouldn't it follow that corporations are causing the violence?....Just joking, Merc.

Hockey has always been a violent game. It was violent when my father was a kid (ever hear the play-by-play of the player chasing the fan up the pillar), and it was violent when I was a kid (1976 Philadelphia Flyers anyone?) and it's still violent now.

The violence gets played up more now, and there are a lot more people watching who don't really understand the game. The combination of those things drives both the violence and the reporting of that violence.

That's kind of the view of an outsider...I don't much like hockey. Being a Canadian I'm kind of stuck with it though.

MapleLeafMerc

Mar 11, 2004
Caledon East, Ontario
Reverend Blair said:
Since most seats are corporately owned, wouldn't it follow that corporations are causing the violence?....Just joking, Merc.

Hockey has always been a violent game. It was violent when my father was a kid (ever hear the play-by-play of the player chasing the fan up the pillar), and it was violent when I was a kid (1976 Philadelphia Flyers anyone?) and it's still violent now.

The violence gets played up more now, and there are a lot more people watching who don't really understand the game. The combination of those things drives both the violence and the reporting of that violence.

That's kind of the view of an outsider...I don't much like hockey. Being a Canadian I'm kind of stuck with it though.

I think the violence does get played up more now; it helps to entertain audiences that aren't familiar with it, especially those that didn't watch and/or didn't play as kids. I also think a lot of the increase in violent hitting is a result of the amount and quality of protective equipment they wear now.

Alden

May 20, 2004
Planet EARTH
I am with Reverend Blair. Being stuck with hockey is something you have to put up with when you are Canadian.

I will make a posting of my opinion either way.

I think it's all about making money and bringing people to the game. It is not the fault of human nature to want excitement and violence in hockey brings excitement. It's all about corporations and making that buck. It's not because of the fans that that's the way it is. You should read about what some companies do to make money.

Secondly, accidents happen. They are very much preventable and to see what happened to some hockey players, no changes are really being made. Sure, it is true that throughout the years, players have been forced to wear helmets and in some cases, visors (I hear this through CBC)... but do the hockey clubs care about what happens to their employees? Their employees are the players.

They should grow up and start taking care of their employees like every company in North America is required to. Because they are a hockey team, does not exempt them from basic rules. A suspension just does not cut it in my books.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
: twisted : arf arf all u guyz think about iz ur selfz but whut about tha poor guy r u guyz gonna give up on him and blame the fans, him and think its all gonna get better just cuz ur making stupid commentary on this subject??? well ur makin it worse and u shud be asamed of ur selfz...just cuz he's suspended now and he has been fined, its breaking the hearts of all of todd's friends, fans and what about his family? but noooo! your just 2 stupid to think about that aren't u????? :evil:

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
not gonna let down said:
: twisted : arf arf all u guyz think about iz ur selfz but whut about tha poor guy r u guyz gonna give up on him and blame the fans, him and think its all gonna get better just cuz ur making stupid commentary on this subject??? well ur makin it worse and u shud be asamed of ur selfz...just cuz he's suspended now and he has been fined, its breaking the hearts of all of todd's friends, fans and what about his family? but noooo! your just 2 stupid to think about that aren't u????? :evil:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
not gonna let down said:

Why do you sound so grumpy? If you could use some proper grammar, maybe we could understand what your point is. Or maybe you have an misinformed opinion on the subject? Or do you know nothing about the subject?

I didn't think it was a stupid commentary, just opinionated. Not that I agree totally with the opinions of Adam R., but calling it a stupid opinion is stupid in its self. Especially with 'ur usez of grammah'.

Sure the family and friends of those involved we're probably upset, you can't go around nearly killing someone -- even if it's for the good ol' hockey game.

Ginger_Ale

Electoral Member
May 23, 2004
Boston
Nice article, you highlighted some interesting things. Especially about the fights; TV broadcasts these fights eagerly, hoping to draw attention. Fans go to the games, knowing there'll probably be a fight or two, but they don't care. Hockey isn't as it used to be...

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
not gonna let down said:

Only comment to this is think before you act. Did he have to viciously attack another player? No. Did everyone have to enjoy the fight when it was going on? No. I never said fans were entirely at fault all I said is the players, NHL and the media are giving the fans what they love.. fights..

It would be entirely different if I said fans start the fights...

But look at it this way, if YOU were to do that to someone off the ice, what would happen to you? Lets just think about that shall we?

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Ginger_Ale said:
Nice article, you highlighted some interesting things. Especially about the fights; TV broadcasts these fights eagerly, hoping to draw attention. Fans go to the games, knowing there'll probably be a fight or two, but they don't care. Hockey isn't as it used to be...

I've got to say the Stanley Cup finals (albeit Game 2) have been clean, hard fought, well skated hockey. Game 2 had a lot of ugly parts when the flames were down 4-0.

To the person who basically said "Thats hockey". Thats NEVER been how hockey is played. If you want to see how it should be played watch the World Cup of hockey or the Olympics, that is nice clean, well played hockey.

Violence is NOT a necessary part of the game. And yes I know, I used to play hockey for quite a number of years until an accident so if you think its coming from an uneducated point of view its not. As well many hockey experts have also been mentioning the increase of on-ice violence and how it is ruining the game.

Perhaps you need a little research? (Not you GA :))

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Alden said:
Secondly, accidents happen. They are very much preventable and to see what happened to some hockey players, no changes are really being made. Sure, it is true that throughout the years, players have been forced to wear helmets and in some cases, visors (I hear this through CBC)... but do the hockey clubs care about what happens to their employees? Their employees are the players.

They should grow up and start taking care of their employees like every company in North America is required to. Because they are a hockey team, does not exempt them from basic rules. A suspension just does not cut it in my books.

You seem to think of this as the WWF. It's hardly an accident when someone is injured so badly on ice that they have to sit in intensive care for long periods, thats Assault!

Keep in mind the WWF is stagged, a big play if you will, and accidents are far easier to prevent in such a rehearsed atmosphere, albetit not all the time.

As far as Im considered if you injure someone enough that it sends them to the hospital for an undetermined amount of time with life threatening injuries, there should be some punishment. season suspension? Wah wah.. You know damn well when you go after someone like that your sole intent is to harm them, I think we can all agree to that point. So why not a more harsh punishment? How about 2 seasons, maybe more and legal proceedings?

I know I'll have you all flaming me for that last bit, but if YOU did this to someone anywhere in the country that's what you'd be looking at a huge fine and probably jail time. Notice I said 2 season suspension. For most of these guys thats anywhere from 2.8 - 19 million dollars lost.

True Todd's family must be shook up, but I hardly am causing them any grief, afterall was I the one who violently injured Moore? No.

canada

Jun 10, 2002
Sweet commentary!! I had a few questions but after seeing your replies to the ones already asked or flamed I see!!

I AGREE THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH VIOLENCE IN HOCKEY, IT MAKES IT EXCITING FOR THE FANS AND THEY JUST GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FLAMES!!!

fuzzy

May 25, 2004
Smithers, BC
:evil: Men!! you guyz get worked up over everything. hockey and politics and other sports~ i wonder, why there is no chat about girls in these forums? i see most people here are men and it is a strange absence~ iz everyone here gay or bisexual or something?

Sorry really if i sound mean or rude just a interested question.. but anywayz, theres so much violence in hockey thatz prolly why i dont ever watch it... like yah i might tune into playoffs some days but thats it!

anywayz, if there wasnt so much fighting there i might watch it~

from a girlz point of view
þ-- ~~` fuzzy `~~ --þ

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Yeah actually, why isn't there any talk about women in these forums? That is weird, I actually never thought about that until now....

*backs away from the other editors cautiously* haha j/k

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I think you better do some more homework bud. Fighting has been in the game for a long time, even when Rocket was still playing. Maybe you forgot about his little stick swinging incident? People don't watch the game for fights, if that was the case they could go to a boxing match and see much better violence than the 30 seconds that most hockey fights last. Get a grip.