Another Bad Idea

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's been talk of a London NFL team for ages. Don't forget, NFL games are now regularly played in London, often at Wembley but sometimes at other London stadia, too.

WHEN: Sunday October 2 2016
WHERE: Wembley Stadium, London

WHEN: Sunday October 23 2016
WHERE: Twickenham Stadium, Twickenham

WHEN: Sunday October 30 2016
WHERE: Wembley Stadium, London

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/NFL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The travel logistics would be a nightmare. Currently teams playing in London have next week as there bye. If a team was in London, that would not be possible.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The travel logistics would be a nightmare. Currently teams playing in London have next week as there bye. If a team was in London, that would not be possible.
Not really. What's the difference between the New Jersey Giants, for example, flying to London for an away game vs. the NJ Giants flying to San Diego for an away game?

A: Difference is less than a thousand miles. Call it an extra 1 1/2 hours of plane time. Hardly a disaster.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not really. What's the difference between the New Jersey Giants, for example, flying to London for an away game vs. the NJ Giants flying to San Diego for an away game?

A: Difference is less than a thousand miles. Call it an extra 1 1/2 hours of plane time. Hardly a disaster.

Teams within San Diego's division are all same timezone or close. New Jersey would play 1 away game in San Diego max each year. Same division = 3 away games. This could be handled by creative scheduling but not sure how well the NFL excels in that area.

And let's not forget that the London team will need to play an away game occasionally in San Diego and San Diego may have to go there.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Teams within San Diego's division are all same timezone or close. New Jersey would play 1 away game in San Diego max each year. Same division = 3 away games. This could be handled by creative scheduling but not sure how well the NFL excels in that area.
It could be handled by a six-year-old with a calendar, a map, and a TRS-80.

Hmm. . . you're right. Might could be beyond the NFL.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Subjecting the NFL teams to the British culture somehow seems cruel. Thinking about it makes me queasy.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
American football is a game for people who can't play for an hour. In a typical game, the ball is in play for 17 minutes. What a waste of time. At least in real sports, they actually have to play a reasonable amount of time.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
American football is a game for people who can't play for an hour. In a typical game, the ball is in play for 17 minutes. What a waste of time. At least in real sports, they actually have to play a reasonable amount of time.

Do you count in soccer the amount of time laying on the field pretending to be injured because your opponent came within 3 feet of you?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Subjecting the NFL teams to the British culture somehow seems cruel. Thinking about it makes me queasy.

The British NFL fans would invent all sorts of ingenious chants to chant during matches - either in support of their team or to take the mick out of their opponents - which American sports fans don't seem to be able to do.

"Fat Eddie Murphy, you're just a fat Eddie Murphy! Fat Eddie Murphy, you're just a fat Eddie Murphy!"

"Yanks, Yanks, wherever you may be, you eat hotdogs in your country. It could be worse, you could be Scouse, eating rats in your council house!"

And when London Archers win the Super Bowl, the stadium would ring out to "IT'S COMING HOME! IT'S COMING HOME! IT'S COMING! FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME!"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Do you count in soccer the amount of time laying on the field pretending to be injured because your opponent came within 3 feet of you?

"Soccer" is almost non-stop action for 90 minutes. The only rest they get is 15 minutes at half time.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I bet you'd have a tough time playing hockey or soccer.

Did you have a point?

I am from Massachusetts... I did play hockey. I played in an adult league for years as well.

My point is that you probably don't like football so you think football players can't play either of those sports. Just about all of us played both football and hockey. Soccer wasn't a popular sport and it was a fall sport so you couldn't play both soccer and football at the HS level.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Typical American attitude, no attention span. That's why you need 3 hours to watch 17 minutes of football.

Except I am not American.

I dislike watching soccer and basketball. I like watching baseball and football. I am neutral on hockey. Like the international hockey better than NHL. If you enjoy soccer, well enjoy it.