Rio 2016: Andy Murray to be Great Britain flag bearer

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Olympic and Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has been chosen to carry the flag for Great Britain at Friday's Rio 2016 opening ceremony.

The 29-year-old was picked ahead of the likes of boxer Nicola Adams and rower Katherine Grainger.

Murray, who inspired Great Britain to the Davis Cup in November, is the first tennis player to fill the role.

"To lead out Team GB will be an incredible honour, the biggest in sport," he said.

Rio Olympics 2016: Andy Murray to be Great Britain flag bearer

3 August 2016
BBC News

Olympic Games on the BBC

Hosts:
Rio de Janeiro
Dates: 5-21 August
Rio time: BST -4
Coverage:
Watch on BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, Red Button and up to 24 HD video streams on mobile, desktop, connected TVs and app, plus follow on Radio 5 live and via live text commentary.

Olympic and Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has been chosen to carry the flag for Great Britain at Friday's Rio 2016 opening ceremony.

The 29-year-old was picked ahead of the likes of boxer Nicola Adams and rower Katherine Grainger.

Murray, who inspired Great Britain to the Davis Cup in November, is the first tennis player to fill the role.

"To lead out Team GB will be an incredible honour, the biggest in sport," he said.

As well as individual gold, the Scot also won doubles silver alongside Laura Robson at the London 2012 Games.

Olympic men's singles champion Murray won Wimbledon for a second time this year and propelled Great Britain to a first Davis Cup victory since 1936 last year

"I obviously have great memories of London and I am 100% focused on winning here in Rio," Murray added.

"The privilege of being the flag bearer is a moment I will remember for the rest of my life and will certainly be one of the highlights of my career."

Murray is seeded second in both the men's singles and the doubles tournament in which he is teaming up with brother Jamie.

Team-mate and fellow British number one Johanna Konta is seeded 10th in the women's draw.

Murray beat Federer to win the men's singles gold and he and Robson were defeated by Belarussian pair Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi to pick up the silver in the mixed doubles at London 2012

A British Olympic Association panel selected Murray to be flag bearer after each sport put forward athletes to a shortlist.

Cyclist Sir Chris Hoy led Team GB into London's Olympic Stadium four years ago, while speed skater Jon Eley was selected for the Winter Olympics in Sochi in 2014.

The United States have nominated swimmer Michael Phelps, while hosts Brazil have chosen modern pentathlete Yana Marques.

The Russian team have selected volleyball player Sergey Tetyukhin after pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva and the rest of the Russian athletics team was banned in the wake of the country's doping scandal.

Marco Balich, the executive producer of Rio 2016's opening ceremony, has said that his plans are "not an opulent show compared to London or compared to Beijing" but "full of heart and very graceful."

The ceremony begins at midnight BST on Saturday morning.

Rio Olympics 2016: Andy Murray to be Team GB flag bearer - BBC Sport

Last edited: