David Cameron holds Gary Lineker to MOTD pants promise

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Gary Lineker should keep his promise and present Match of the Day in his underwear, Prime Minister David Cameron has said.

The former England footballer joked back in December that he would present the show "in just my undies" if Leicester City won the Premier League.

Leicester East MP Keith Vaz asked Mr Cameron if the pundit should keep his promise after the club's triumph.

The prime minister replied that he "absolutely" agreed he should.

Lineker, 55, was born in Leicester, is a Leicester City fan and played for the club between 1978 and 1984, scoring 95 goals. He's also England's record goalscorer in World Cup finals and, in his long footballing career, never received any yellow or red cards.

Now a sports broadcaster, he has hosted BBC's Match of the Day since 1999.

David Cameron holds Gary Lineker to MOTD pants promise

BBC News
4 May 2016

Leicester East MP Keith Vaz asks David Cameron about the importance of keeping promises

Gary Lineker should keep his promise and present Match of the Day in his underwear, Prime Minister David Cameron has said.

The former England footballer joked back in December that he would present the show "in just my undies" if Leicester City won the Premier League.

Leicester East MP Keith Vaz asked Mr Cameron if the pundit should keep his promise after the club's triumph.

The prime minister replied that he "absolutely" agreed he should.

Gary Lineker acknowledged the prime minister in a tweet

Lineker later tweeted: "It seems @David_Cameron is keen to see me in my pants. If that's what does it for you prime minister."

The celebrated former Leicester and Spurs forward previously told the Radio Times he thought there was "zero chance" of Leicester winning the Premier League when he made his promise in a tweet.

Gary Lineker and former Match of the Day pundit Alan Hansen appeared topless when promoting a programme about the history of the FA Cup Final

The Foxes were priced at odds of 5000/1 to win the title last summer - the same odds on offer for Elvis Presley being found alive.

Bookmakers are now taking bets on what colour pants Lineker will wear, and the 55-year-old has asked if he can place a thousand pounds on polka dots at 33/1.

David Cameron said Gary Lineker should "absolutely" keep his promise to present Match of the Day in his underwear

Mr Vaz was wearing a Leicester scarf in the Commons for the second day running when he asked about Gary Lineker's underwear during Prime Minster's Questions.

He said: "During this amazing season the local Leicester hero, Gary Lineker, thought the idea of Leicester winning was so farfetched that he said if they did win he would present Match of the Day in his underwear.

"As an Aston Villa supporter, and my commiserations to the prime minister on their season, does he agree that in politics as well as in football, when you make a promise you should keep it?"

Gary Lineker tweeted the promise in December, when he thought there was "zero chance" of his former club winning

Mr Cameron replied: "I absolutely agree. I've been watching everything Gary Lineker has said since.

"He's not quite answering the question, something that of course no one ever gets away with in this house.

"And so I welcome what he said. Obviously I hope it's just the start of him joining the blue team."

Twitter users have made suggestions as to what Gary Lineker should wear

David Cameron holds Gary Lineker to MOTD pants promise - BBC News