Indian schoolboy becomes first cricketer in history to score 1,000 runs in an innings

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An Indian schoolboy has become the first cricketer in history to score 1,000 runs in a single innings.

Pranav Dhanawade, 15 and the son of a Mumbai (formerly Bombay) rickshaw driver, scored the extraordinary total in the Bhandari Cup, an under-16 inter-school event organised by the Mumbai Cricket Association.

Dhanawade, who was batting for KC Gandhi High School against Arya Gurukul School, plundered 59 sixes and 129 fours in an epic innings that lasted 395 minutes and 323 balls, meaning he scored at an incredible 3.1 runs per ball.

Dhanawade's innings enabled his side to declare on the mind-boggling score of 1465-3, also a world record, with Pranav unbeaten on 1,009.

KC Gandhi High School's next highest scorer was Aakash Singh with 173, a score which, in itself, would normally be very good but instead looks feeble alongside Dhanawade's massive score.

Arya Gurukul's woes were compounded by the fact that they had been bundled out for a pathetic 31 on Monday.

We could have another Tendulkar in the making. It'll probably not be long before India's national team looks to get hold of Dhanawade.

Indian schoolboy Pranav Dhanawade smashes records by scoring 1000 runs in a single innings

15-year-old scores 1,009 not out in an under-16 Schools Cup match to shatter all records

Pranav Dhanawade is congratulated after his epic innings

By Telegraph Sport
05 Jan 2016
The Telegraph
6 Comments

An Indian schoolboy has become the first cricketer in history to score 1,000 runs in a single innings.

Pranav Dhanawade, 15 and the son of a Mumbai rickshaw driver, scored the extraordinary total in the Bhandari Cup, an under-16 inter-school event organised by the Mumbai Cricket Association.

BreatheSport ✔ @BreatheSport

The incredible scorecard of Pranav Dhanawade's 1009 not out. Spare a thought for those bowlers...

10:38 AM - 5 Jan 2016

96 70

Dhanawade, who was batting for KC Gandhi High School against Arya Gurukul School, plundered 59 sixes and 129 fours in an epic innings that lasted 395 minutes and 323 balls, meaning he scored at an incredible 3.1 runs per ball.

Dhanawade's innings enabled his side to declare on the mind-boggling score of 1465-3, also a world record, with Pranav unbeaten on 1,009.

Arya Gurukul's woes were compounded by the fact that they had been bundled out for just 31 on Monday.

Dhanawade had broken a 116-year-old cricketing record after amassing 652 on Monday, giving him the highest individual score in cricket history - the previous record had been held by AEJ Collins, an Englishman who struck an unbeaten 628 for Clark House against North Town House in 1899.

"I have always been a big-hitter. When I started I never thought about breaking the record," Dhanawade told the Hindustan Times. "The focus was never that. I just played my natural game, which is to attack from the word go.

"After reaching 300, my coach Harish Sharma told me to play on. I did not know of the world record, but we had the Indian record in mind."

Dhanawade's monumental achievement sent Twitter into a frenzy. His name trended in India, with excited but also nervous cricket fans posting regular score updates as he neared the 1,000 mark.

Ayaz Memon, a cricket expert, said it would be a phenomenal feat for a cricketer to score four digits at any level of the game.

"It's just incredible. Scoring 1,000 runs in less than two days at this speed is a great achievement," Memon told AFP.

But translating this accomplishment from club to international level will be a big challenge for the teenager, he said.

The omens are good, however - Tendulkar, Dhanawade's batting hero, first burst onto the scene in 1988 aged 14 when he scored 326 not out in a Mumbai school match.

India cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar is literally worshipped as a living god by the 1 billion Hindus in India, a country where cricket is almost a national religion

He went on to become the highest scorer in the history of Test cricket as well as the first player to score 100 international centuries.

Tendulkar was one of several former players to hail the youngster's achievement:

sachin tendulkar ✔ @sachin_rt
Congrats #PranavDhanawade on being the first ever to score 1000 runs in an innings. Well done and work hard. You need to scale new peaks!

9:11 AM - 5 Jan 2016

4,589 6,674

Harbhajan Singh ✔ @harbhajan_singh
well played...no matter what levels cricket it is but numbers are just unbelievable.another @sachin_rt in making? https://twitter.com/shreyanjeet_sn/status/684289195133632512 …

9:10 AM - 5 Jan 2016

153 452

Russel Arnold ✔ @RusselArnold69
Outstanding....Congratulations Pranav !!! 1000 runs in an innings https://twitter.com/CricFit/status/684282713185087488 …
8:01 AM - 5 Jan 2016

10 24

Indian schoolboy Pranav Dhanawade smashes records by scoring 1000 runs in a single innings - Telegraph

Last edited: