Gold for Shawn Barber at World Championship

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

"Competing against a star-studded field that included the reigning Olympic and world champions, Canada's Shawn Barber calmly put on a display of pole vault excellence Monday in Beijing to win the country's first world title in track and field in 12 years."

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Who knew a Canadian could win at pole vault. I thought it would be a Mexican living near the Texas border.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Who knew a Canadian could win at pole vault. I thought it would be a Mexican living near the Texas border.

Hardly, PC my dear. :lol: I was just about to do a topic on Andre when I saw you had beaten me to it. Good on you. I get emails from CBC Sports that update me on the latest in the world of sports so I had both Andre and Shawn in mind when I logged in. Saved me some time you did, and honored a wonderful young Canadian.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Great Britain second in the medals table behind Kenya. We've got more golds than Canada and USA put together.

BBC Sport - World Championships 2015: Medal table and results

Greg Rutherford wins World Championships long jump gold

Britain's Greg Rutherford once again proved his peerless championship credentials as he added world gold to his Olympic, European and Commonwealth titles.

Only four other Britons - Daley Thompson, Linford Christie, Sally Gunnell and Jonathan Edwards - have ever held all four titles at the same time, but Rutherford deserves that illustrious company after another display of superb jumping under pressure.

Rutherford had been disappointed by the lack of a union jack on the British vests in Beijing - so found himself a British waistcoat after winning gold

The 28-year-old celebrated first with a wild roar and later with tears as his fourth-round leap of 8.41m saw him finish well clear of Australian Fabrice Lapierre's 8.24m and the 8.18m of China's Jianan Wang.

No Briton had ever won any long jump medal at a World Championships but, despite feeling so ill earlier in the day that he wondered if he could even compete, Rutherford produced the second longest jump of his life as his rivals cracked under the final pressure.

"I'm a bit lost for words. What an incredible night. It's been unreal," Rutherford told BBC Sport.

"It's unbelievable. This was my best ever performance. The stresses this year, I can't even express to you. I can't wait to get home and see my family."

American Jeff Henderson came into the night as favourite but went out after the first three jumps while defending champion Aleksandr Menkov could manage only 8.02 for sixth.

On a warm night in the Bird's Nest the fast runway again caused problems for the athletes, no-jumps littering the competition and the USA's Mike Hartfield failing to register a single mark.

Rutherford himself fouled in the first round but as his rivals struggled to adjust he throttled back to take the lead with a second-round 8.29m.

BBC Sport - Greg Rutherford wins World Championships long jump gold

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

World Championships: Mo Farah wins historic 5,000m gold

BBC Sport
29 August 2015

Great Britain's Mo Farah has completed a historic 'triple-double' after winning 5,000m gold at the World Championships.

Farah, who won the 5,000m and 10,000m double at the 2012 Olympics and 2013 World Championships, has already won the 10,000m title in Beijing.

The race started at a slow pace until Caleb Ndiku took the lead with two laps to go.

But Farah, 32, stayed on the 22-year-old Kenyan's shoulder and sprinted clear in the final 100 metres.

Commonwealth champion Ndiku finished 1.37 seconds behind Farah, with Ethiopia's Hagos Gebrhiwet in third.

It is the Briton's seventh successive world title and a record third at 5,000m.

Brendan Foster

Olympic medallist and BBC athletics commentator

"Mo Farah, what can we say about him? He knows he was up against a tough man. The man who thought he could take on Mo but when he challenged him, Mo responded. Mo has delighted us tonight and it has been a pleasure watching the journey that started in sadness for him in 2008."

Brendan Foster
Olympic medallist and BBC athletics commentator

"Mo is the greatest sportsman that Britain has ever had. And I say that with some consideration.
"

Man of Kent
ManofKent16

Brilliant race from Mo Farah - amazing how he looked so exhausted on the final lap, yet sprinted away like it was nothing. #bbcathletics

11:47 a.m. - 29 August 2015

Gettin Jiggy Wiggett
ComdrChakotay

Mo the Magnificent!!! The man is just unbeatable right now #Beijing2015 #WorldChampionships #bbcathletics

11:46 a.m. - 29 August 2015

BBC Sport - Mo Farah wins historic World Championships 5,000m gold

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mo Farah wins historic World Championships 5,000m gold

Brit becomes first man in history to pull off a distance 'triple-double'.

By Tom Fordyce Chief sports writer in Beijing
BBC Sport
29 August 2015

Mo Farah won the 5,000m World Championship in Beijing on Saturday to add to his 10,000m triumph

Mo Farah ran a blistering last lap of 52.6 seconds to sprint away to a brilliant 5,000m gold and become the first man in history to pull off a distance 'triple-double'.

Farah made it three successive world 5,000m titles and has now won golds in both track distance events at the Olympics and two World Championships as he once again found both the perfect tactical response and the form to pull it off.

This time he would not be allowed to lead it out from 500 metres to go, as we have seen so often, with Kenya's Commonwealth champion Caleb Ndiku going to the front before the bell and stretching away down the back straight.

But as the field splintered Farah first hung on and then, coming off the final bend, surged past Ndiku to go away to his seventh global track title in a row.

It had been a slow race, and Farah's finishing time of 13 minutes 50.38 seconds was in itself not remarkable, Ndiku 1.37 seconds back in silver and Ethiopia's Hagos Gebrhiwet taking bronze from his compatriot Yomif Kejelcha.

Farah's historic 'triple-double'

Yet this was about the response to a fresh and dangerous challenge: a final 800 metres of 1:48.6 and a last 400 metres that none of his rivals could possibly match.

With a series of allegations made against his coach Alberto Salazar - all denied by the American, and with no suggestion Farah has done anything wrong - this has been a difficult summer for the man who won the 10,000m and 5,000m double at both the last Worlds in Moscow and the London Olympics.

But in the same Bird's Nest stadium where he failed to make it through the 5,000m heats of the 2008 Olympics, Farah continued his unparalleled sequence of distance victories in wonderful style.

The race was slow to unfold, Britain's Tom Farrell taking them through 2,000 metres in just under six minutes.

Farah was content to sit at the back, going wide to pick up a drink of water from the feeding stations on the back straight early on and dump it over his head.

Only with seven laps to go did he move up through the field, cruising into second behind Ethiopia's Imane Merga before easing to the front with 1,600 metres to go.

Gebrhiwet went to his shoulder with three laps to go and was joined by his two Ethiopian team-mates as the pace finally quickened.

Ndiku then threw in a big effort with 800 metres left and as Farah tried to come past him at the bell held the Briton off and kicked again.

But Farah would not be beaten, the best distance runners left in his wake once again.

Farah sucks his thumb in celebration after another stunning performance in China - with the Brit set to have another child soon

The realisation of his amazing feat dawned upon Farah shortly after the race as he laid down to take in the moment

Farah jumps for joy during his lap of honour with the Union Flag as he was applauded by all of those inside the Bird's Nest Stadium

Farah even managed to take a selfie with some lucky British fans who flew to Beijing to support the athlete and his team-mates

Farah (left) was forced to run to the outskirts of the track to take on some fluids during the opening part of the men's 5,000m final

However, shortly after Farah's unnecessary excursion race officials moved the drinks table further inside the track to aid athletes

'Britain's greatest'

Brendan Foster, Olympic medallist and BBC athletics commentator said: "I would say Mo is the greatest sportsman Britain has ever had.

"Tonight has put him at the top table. When you talk about the greatest distance runners of the world, he has gone alongside them. He is up there with the greats Haile Gebrselassie, Kenenisa Bekele, Emil Zatopek and Lasse Viren.

"Nobody has worked out how to beat him and he's got the Rio Olympics next year and then maybe the Worlds again in London in 2017.

"This guy is still adding to his record books. He is getting better as he gets older."

Medals Table (Top 10)

......................Gold......Silver......Bronze......Total
Kenya..............6.............4...............3...........13
Jamaica...........6............2...............3............11
USA.................5.............5...............6............16
Great Britain....4.............1...............0............5
Poland.............3.............1................4............8
Russia.............2.............1...............1............4
Cuba................2.............1...............0............3
China...............1..............5..............1............7
Canada............1..............3..............3............7
Germany..........1..............3..............3............7

BBC Sport - Mo Farah wins historic World Championships 5,000m gold

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We tend to focus on the athletes most of the time. But what would the World Championships be without supporters? Usually when we think of fanatical support, we look at football fans, rugby fans, even tennis. But The Running Review has had the privilege of finding some absolute die hard Great Britain athletics fans and had a brief chat. They are a credit to their country, and if everybody supports their athletes like this, then this great sport will thrive for many years to come.

http://www.facebook.com/therunningreview/videos/1485674421744684/