It's Lego-ld Trafford!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A talented designer is on a mission to recreate all 92 stadiums in the Premier and Football League - out of Lego.

Chris Smith, from Altrincham, Greater Manchester, has used the classic children's toy to construct intricate models of iconic stadiums such as Old Trafford and Anfield.

The 32-year-old, who is a Crystal Palace and Halifax Town fan, said he came up with the idea when he first saw a large-scale Lego structure.

It's Lego-ld Trafford! Designer uses thousands of the toy bricks to recreate some of Britain's most iconic stadiums

Chris Smith has meticulously recreated 22 famous football stadiums using thousands of pieces of Lego

Once the Crystal Palace fan has worked out how to build them, he makes duplicates and sells them on his website

The 32-year-old hopes to make a model based on all 92 stadiums in the football league and feature them in a book

By Jack Crone for MailOnline
9 August 2015
Daily Mail

A talented designer is on a mission to recreate all 92 stadiums in the Premier and Football League - out of Lego.

Chris Smith, from Altrincham, Old Trafford, has used the classic children's toy to construct intricate models of iconic stadiums such as Old Trafford and Anfield.

The 32-year-old, who is a Crystal Palace and Halifax Town fan, said he came up with the idea when he first saw a large-scale Lego structure.

Old Trafford: Chris Smith has created dozens of models of British stadiums including Manchester United's iconic ground. With a capacity of 75,635, it is Britain's second-largest football stadium

Old Trafford: Constructing the Lego stadiums is a meticulous trial-and-error process for 32-year-old Chris, from Altrincham

Being a football fan, Chris assumed someone would have created a stadium using the bricks - but after searching the web, he found nothing.

The first stadium Chris decided to build was a 1,500-brick version of Selhurst Park, home to Crystal Palace, which he has continued to update as the ground has improved.

Each model Chris creates is uploaded to his company website, Brickstand, which allows other football fans to purchase remakes of the grounds once Chris has created the original.

The first version of each ground, Chris said, involves a trial-and-error process, building from scratch based off pictures from the internet.

This initial creation process takes him around two to three weeks, but once he has an accurate design he is then able to create remakes much quicker.

Stamford Bridge: Chelsea's 41,798 capacity stadium located in West London has been recreated using thousands of Lego pieces

Chris says there is no set order in which he works on the stadiums - and he hopes to create all 92 Football League grounds, turning the images into a book.

So far, he has created 22 different stadiums using a total of more than 25,000 bricks - with Upton Park and Maine Road soon to be added to his set.

He said: 'I was surprised to find out that Lego football stadiums simply didn't exist - I could only find American stadiums.

'I thought to myself that I may as well give this a go. I don't visit any of the stadiums, as I think I would see too much detail - its more about trying to find what works in Lego bricks.

'The idea is to find the sweet spot between simplicity and accuracy. You've also got to create something that people can handle comfortably and its obviously not going to break.'

Stamford Bridge: The ground officially opened on April 28 1877 but for the next 28 years mainly served as an athletics venue

Anfield: With its capacity over 45,000, Liverpool Football Club's iconic stadium is the seventh largest in the UK

Goodison Park: Everton's ground in the Walton area of Liverpool has been their home since 1892 - hosting more top-flight games than any other stadium in England

Goodison Park: Chris Smith adds the finishing touches to his impressive Lego version of Everton's stadium

White Hart Lane: Home to Tottenham Hotspur, the North London stadium has a capacity of 36,284

White Hart Lane: Tottenham moved to White Hart Lane in 1899, renovating it from a disused nursery owned by brewery chain Charringtons. The club has plans to move to a new 61,000-capacity stadium which will be slightly larger than that of near-neighbours and fierce rivals Arsenal

Highbury: Arsenal's former ground, where they played from 1913 until 2006 before moving to the newly-built Emirates Stadium

Hampden Park: The stadium in Glasgow is Scotland's largest football stadium with a capacity of over 51,000 and serves as Scotland's national football ground

St Andrews: The stadium has been home to Birmingham City Football Club for more than a century

Loftus Road: Located in Shepherd's Bush in London, the stadium became the home of Queens Park Rangers in 1917

Elland Road: The home of Leeds United is the second largest outside the Premier League, seating more than 37,000 fans

Pride Park: Home to Derby County F.C. since 1997, the stadium has a capacity of nearly 34,000

Pride Park: Pride Park was renamed the iPro Stadium in 2013, as part of a 10-year sponsorship deal with global sports drink company iPro

Portman Road: Ipswich's ground has a capacity of more than 30,000 and has been home to the football club since 1884

Glanford Park: Home to Scun thorpe United, who play in League 1, the stadium provides for just over 9,000 supporters

KC Stadium: Hull City's ground was completed in 2002 at a cost of approximately £44 million and shared with Hull F.C., one of the the city's two rugby league teams

Fratton Park: The ground has been the home of professional club Portsmouth F.C. since its construction in 1898

Ibrox: Home to Glasgow Rangers, it is the third largest football stadium in Scotland, having an all-seated capacity of 50,947

For more Lego football stadia, go here: Lego meets Premiere League stadiums with thousands of the toy bricks | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
All this juevinile time wasting concerning an idiots playtime with plastic bricks while the Britsih are starving in the streets and being beaten by totalitarian police thugs. How bout you tells us about the Lords of kiddie diddling occupying Parliament.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
All this juevinile time wasting concerning an idiots playtime with plastic bricks while the Britsih are starving in the streets and being beaten by totalitarian police thugs. How bout you tells us about the Lords of kiddie diddling occupying Parliament.

You're just jealous because you can't build a football stadium out of Lego.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I wonder why he's not done Manchester City's Etihad Stadium. After all, it'd be rather fitting - full of swathes of empty seats.