England beat Canada to win Women's Rugby World Cup

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not normally interested in women's sport apart from its comedy value, but I thought this was worth a mention.

England have won the Women's Rugby (Union) World Cup for the second time after thrashing Canada 21-9 in the Final last night.

Emily Scarratts’s brilliant solo try, which she then converted, seven minutes from full time at the Stade Jean-Bouin in Paris; an unconverted try for Waterman; and three penalties for Scarratt allowed England’s women to sweep away the pain of past near-misses and secure World Cup glory at last.

Canada's only points came from three penalties scored by Harvey.

England's previous Women's Rugby World Cup success came in 1994 when they beat USA 38-23 in the Final. They appeared in the 2002, 2006 and 2010 Women's Rugby World Cup Final, losing them, so last night it was fourth time lucky for the Red Rose.

Perhaps not suprisingly, New Zealand have won this tournament a record four times.

England win Women's World Cup for second time after beating Canada 21-9 in Paris

Danielle Waterman and Emily Scarratt tries seal win for England in Paris
England previously won the tournament in 1994 with a win over United States
Ireland lose third place play-off 25-18 to France

By Chris Foy
18 August 2014
Daily Mail

2014 Women's Rugby World Cup

Final

England 21-9 Canada
Tries: Waterman, Scarratt......................Penalties: Harvey (3)
Conversion: Scarratt
Penalties: Scarratt (3)

Emily Scarratts’s brilliant solo try seven minutes from full time in Paris on Sunday allowed England’s women to sweep away the pain of past near-misses and secure World Cup glory at last.

This was redemption for Gary Street’s side. This was the euphoric occasion when they banished the demons of the last three finals, each one of which had ended in agonising defeat. This was the culmination of four years of fervent dedication, as captain Katy Mclean lifted the trophy which had remained stubbornly out of reach for so long.

Yet, the dream was only realised after a hefty dose of tension and drama at Stade Jean-Bouin, as favourites England were pushed to the limit by a tenacious Canadian side. Going into the final 10 minutes, the underdogs had closed the deficit to five points, gained the upper hand in the set-piece and were swarming forward in search of the decisive score.

World champions: Jubilant England celebrate with the World Cup trophy at Stade Jean-Bouin in Paris

Delight: England centre Rachael Burford holds the trophy after winning the IRB Women's Rugby World Cup

Champions: England celebrate after Emily Scarratt's try rounded off the late win against the Canucks last night

Under extreme pressure, England were in danger of unravelling. They were making basic errors which they had not done in the semi-final demolition of Ireland and were lacking any real fluency in their attacking game as their opponents competed strongly at the breakdown and in defence.

The Red Rose line-up were within touching distance of their destiny but they needed a moment of inspiration to guard against a last-gasp upset. Scarratt delivered it.

In the 73rd minute, England were awarded a penalty and kicked to touch on the right. When the ball was won at the lineout, the Lichfield centre’s powerful burst took her through two tackles into the Canadian 22 and she carved a superb diagonal line to go clear and over for the crucial try.

After being mobbed by jubilant team-mates, the 24-year-old then knocked over the conversion to add to her earlier three penalties, to complete a 16-point personal haul.

Prince Harry's sends good luck message for England women's rugby team

Lining up: Final hero Emily Scarratt of England prepares to kick as England overcame Canada

Dejected: The Canadian team stand back as England receive the World Cup

Soon afterwards, despite one last red wave of defiance, the English celebrations began in earnest.

Mclean broke away from the pandemonium to acclaim Scarratt, saying: ‘She is phenomenal. She is a world-class player and she showed that today on a world-class stage.’

The skipper added: ‘It is 20 years since England last won the World Cup so it is amazing that we have done it. Canada were fantastic but our group of girls and all the staff deserved this. We have had a rough ride.'

This was the last game many of the England players will play for their country and Mclean heralded their contribution, saying: ‘We are going to lose massive figures like Maggie Alphonsi, Joanna McGilchrist and Sophie Hemming. They have done a great job for English rugby and deserved to go out on a high.

‘So many legends who have gone before us haven’t won a World Cup in an England shirt and that was for all of them who were here today and for all of the England rugby family.’

Top performance: Scarratt of England dives to touch down a try late on

Alphonsi emphatically lived up to her nickname of ‘Maggie the Machine’ with a prodigious display of tackling, breakdown work and tireless harrying of the opposition, while Sarah Hunter also stood tall once again in the back row. Further back, Natasha Hunt was a livewire running threat and Scarratt contributed top-class poaching to go with her goalkicking and wonderful late try.

In a first half awash with adventurous intent on both sides, England had surged clear with a classy opening try in the 33rd minute. After Scarratt and Kay Wilson combined at pace down the left, a clever show-and-go by second row Tamara Taylor created space for Alphonsi to send full back Danielle Waterman hurtling into the right corner.

At 11-0, Street’s team had a strong grip, but Magali Harvey’s three penalties and Canadian ferocity typified by openside Karen Paquin kept the game in the balance until Scarratt’s strike settled it.

England had suffered too much in past finals and gone through too much in the last four years to let this one slip.

England's World Cup glory

Group stages
Beat Samoa 65-3

Group stages
Beat Spain 45-5

Group stages
Drew with Canada 13-13

Semi-final
Beat Ireland 40-7

Final
Beat Canada 21-9

Across the channel: Travelling England fans celebrate the victory on the final whistle

Piling through: Canada's centre Andrea Burk tackles England's scrum-half Natasha Hunt

England's players celebrate at the final whistle. England's only previous Women's World Cup win came in 1994

Read more: England win Women's World Cup for the second time after beating Canada 21-9 in Paris | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You find women who are superior to you at sports funny?

Women's sport is very much the poor relation of men's sport.

But I do like watching women's sport, sometimes, to watch them argue over which ball is whose in golf. Or to see them sobbing uncontrollably when they lose.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Anybody in Canada actually plays rugby? News to me.

Glad our team did well I guess. Too bad we lost to the English lads. Probably a fluke. Or maybe we felt sorry for them. More likely the team sampled some local English cuisine prior to the match and became sick to the stomach.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's rugby match, the most brutal team sport on the planet.

You're confusing that sport with hockey.

Canada had to send it's 4th string team as hockey (a real sport) has taken all of the top players.

Canadian hockey players use the 'sport' (if you can call it that) of rugby to keep fit for the hockey season

It's not a Miss World competition.

You can say that again... I normally don't see mugs that ugly unless you visit a farm

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You're confusing that sport with hockey.

How is knocking a little disk around an ice rink more brutal than rugby? You skate around like a scene from Dancing on Ice hitting a little piece of plastic about. That's all you do. How many ice hockey players will end up with cauliflower ears? The only sportsmen who get cauliflower ears are boxers, wrestlers, martial artists and rugby union forwards.

You can say that again... I normally don't see mugs that ugly unless you visit a farm

Again, they're rugby players. Not Avon models.

WOMEN'S RUGBY WORLD CUP FINAL

ENGLAND 21-9 CANADA

HIGHLIGHTS

[HIGHLIGHTS] England v Canada 21-9 in Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 final - YouTube

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How is knocking a little disk around an ice rink more brutal than rugby?

The reason that you don't understand is because hockey is far too rough for England... I understand that you're gvt has forbid the playing of this sport as they are scared silly about one of you nancy-boys getting bruised

We agree... I'm just sayin that they fell through the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way through

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The reason that you don't understand is because hockey is far too rough for England... I understand that you're gvt has forbid the playing of this sport as they are scared silly about one of you nancy-boys getting bruised

We play hockey in England. We just don't play the daft version on ice that you have.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How is knocking a little disk around an ice rink more brutal than rugby? You skate around like a scene from Dancing on Ice hitting a little piece of plastic about. That's all you do. How many ice hockey players will end up with cauliflower ears? The only sportsmen who get cauliflower ears are boxers, wrestlers, martial artists and rugby union forwards.

WOMEN'S RUGBY WORLD CUP FINAL

ENGLAND 21-9 CANADA

HIGHLIGHTS

[HIGHLIGHTS] England v Canada 21-9 in Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 final - YouTube
Actually I watched the match live on T.V. . The women on both sides were remarkably feminine looking even while playing such
a punishing sport . The match was well played by both sides and the game was much closer than the score indicated .
The Canadian girl who won the award for best player in the tournament was quite beautiful .
I was impressed by the quality of play as it was a very physical game and played much like men's rugby which was a surprise to me as it was the first women's rugby match I have seen .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Actually I watched the match live on T.V. . The women on both sides were remarkably feminine looking even while playing such
a punishing sport . The match was well played by both sides and the game was much closer than the score indicated .
The Canadian girl who won the award for best player in the tournament was quite beautiful .
I was impressed by the quality of play as it was a very physical game and played much like men's rugby which was a surprise to me as it was the first women's rugby match I have seen .

That was Magali Harvey, who scored all of Canada's points in the Final.

Canada wing Magali Harvey has been named the IRB Women’s Player of the Year 2014 following her side’s 21-9 defeat by England in the Women’s Rugby World Cup 2014 final at Stade Jean Bouin in Paris on Sunday.

Harvey is the first Canadian to win the prestigious award and reflects the growth of women’s rugby in recent years, the wing having played a key role in Canada reaching their first WRWC final.

The 24-year-old edged out her captain and Canada number 8 Kelly Russell, Ireland full back Niamh Briggs and France number 8 Safi N’Diaye following a comprehensive voting system.

IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “I would like to congratulate Magali on winning this prestigious award. It is extremely well deserved. She has lit up Women’s Rugby World Cup 2014 with her combination of electrifying pace, elusive running, ferocious defence and accurate place-kicking.

“Her try against France in the semi-final was perhaps the tournament highlight and certainly one of the tries of the year. I was privileged to have been sitting in the stand to watch it live.

Magali Harvey scored perhaps the try of the tournament against France to help Canada reach a first WRWC final

“It is also important to highlight the contribution of other players too. In particular, the other women who made the shortlist – Niamh Briggs of Ireland, Kelly Russell of Canada and France’s Safi N’Diaye. Those players – and many others who just missed out – have helped to make this tournament such a success.

“The fact that so many spectators have come to watch, as well as record television audiences at home, is a testament to the quality of rugby that has been on display. The women’s game is certainly on the up and we will be doing everything we can at the IRB to make sure that upward trend continues.”

Harvey caught the eye with her performances throughout the tournament, scoring a hat-trick in a 26-point haul in Canada’s opening win over Spain and then going virtually the length of the field to score a try in the semi-final win over hosts France.

Harvey's try in Canada's 18-16 win against France in the Semi-Final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B7em0YJYBk8

Womens RWC - Magali Harvey the Women's Player of the Year

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So, what you're really saying is that hockey is too physically demanding and rough for the English to play
Actually grass hockey is a very demanding game different from ice hockey but demanding all the same .
For a non contact sport there is still lots of contact . No pads except a cup and shin pads on some . Both the ball and sticks are hard and it is easy to be hit by either while playing games are an hour long and like soccer involves lots of running and few substitutions .
You can see men's field hockey played in a number of parks around Vancouver most Saturdays ( Eric Hamber School comes to mind )
Although dominated by South Asians it is a multicultural sport .