Rory Wins British Open

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Entering elite company, Rory became only the third youngest player in the history of golf to win three major championships before the age of 26. The final round was a bit rocky but Rory never lost the lead which he had held for the entire tournament.

Well done lad, well done!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's sad to see you struggling at sport BL... I take no pleasure in reminding you of this, but the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Making a statement that 'you have Rory' is simplistic and sadly insults both Rory and his countrymen in Ireland... It's almost as pathetic as your cricket team blaming their horrendous losses on 'ghosts'..

Don't you really think that it's high-time that you folks in the UK just stay out of sports of any kind?... It's embarrassing to watch is what it is

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
i followed all of 'the open', was pulling for a canadian to do well, and hearn did do well, but the
tournament was all about rory, he golfed outstanding, and some of those shots he made were so far
above anything 'normal' it was breathtaking.

after a canadian, i wanted a european to win, and sergio also had a very good tournament, along with fowler.

'the open' is my favourite major, i love the links courses, and i love the way they run their majors,
a simple approach, and the fans turned out in droves.

congratulations to rory mcIlroy, very deserving, now on to the 'pga championship', the last major of
the year.

i was glad the media finally stopped talking about mickelson and woods, i'm so tired of them trying
to force those two on us. if they play well, we'll be there, but if not, zip it up.

there are so many fine players on the pga, we don't have to be stuck in the past, we can move forward
with those players who are making their talents known.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's sad to see you struggling at sport BL...

Come off it. One of my fellow Brits has just won The Open (it's not The British Open, it's just The Open, as it's the original one).

Making a statement that 'you have Rory' is simplistic

Why would I need to make a simple statement any more complicated?

and sadly insults both Rory and his countrymen in Ireland...

Why does it "insult" Rory? Rory is a British citizen. Did you learn geography at a Canadian school, by any chance?

Don't you really think that it's high-time that you folks in the UK just stay out of sports of any kind?...is

What for? We've won the last two Tour de Frances; we've won four of the last six Ashes series; we won Wimbledon last year; and now we've just won The Open.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Come off it. One of my fellow Brits has just won The Open (it's not The British Open, it's just The Open, as it's the original one).

Why would I need to make a simple statement any more complicated?

Why does it "insult" Rory? Rory is a British citizen. Did you learn geography at a Canadian school, by any chance?

Sad... Really sad

What for? We've won the last two Tour de Frances; we've won four of the last six Ashes series; we won Wimbledon last year; and now we've just won The Open.

A bicycle riding competition?... Really?

What's next, gonna lead the world in the 'waiting for the bus' competition?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm looking forward to seeing Rory representing Great Britain at the 2016 Olympics:

Rory McIlroy reconsidering which flag he'll play under at 2016 Olympics in Rio

Despite Northern Ireland being part of the UK, Northern Irelanders have the option to play for either UK or Ireland in the Olympics.

By PA Sport
Series: PGA Tour

ATLANTA -- Rory McIlroy admitted on Wednesday that the reaction to comments he made about choosing who to compete for in the 2016 Olympics is making him think again.

Golf's world No. 1 had said he was leaning toward representing Great Britain rather than Ireland because "the fact is I have always felt more British than Irish." It brought criticism from some people, mainly because he received funding from the Golfing Union of Ireland before turning professional in 2007.

As an amateur, he did not have to make a choice because, as in rugby, Northern Irish golfers play for Ireland. The 23-year-old will not have to make a decision until just before the Rio Games.

"After everything that happened last week, it definitely makes me reconsider my position and reconsider a lot of things," he said Wednesday at the Tour Championship. "I think it just really hit home with me how important it is for a lot of people and how important my success has been to them.

"Obviously, I've had a lot of support from all sides -- from people that call themselves Irish, from Northern Irish, to the whole of the UK, to people over here in the States. "It just hit home with me at how my success is welcomed by everyone," he added. "It would be terrible for me to nearly segregate myself from one of those groups that supports me so much.

"It's four years away -- I still have a bit of time to decide. But, I'm very, very appreciative and very grateful of the support that I get from everyone," he explained. "It's great that I get so much support. There are not many people in my position that have to go through what I might have to go through in four years' time, but it is what it is.

"I'm a golfer first and foremost and I just want to play well on the golf course," he said. "Hopefully people enjoy that and the entertainment that that brings."

Rory McIlroy reconsidering which flag he'll play under at 2016 Olympics in Rio

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A bicycle riding competition?... Really?

It's funny how we didn't hear anyone denigrate a great sporting event like the Tour de France when a Yank was winning it every year (although he could only win it by taking drugs, so it can't be that easy to win).

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Like I said... The Irish are proud of their prodigal son

He's not Irish. He's British. He comes from Northern Ireland, not the Irish Republic. This so-called "proud Irishman" is actually a proud Briton and is to represent his country, Great Britain, at the 2016 Olympics. The Irish aren't calling him their "prodigal son" because, unlike the odd thick North American, they know the difference between their country - the Irish Republic - and Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
i followed all of 'the open', was pulling for a canadian to do well, and hearn did do well, but the
tournament was all about rory, he golfed outstanding, and some of those shots he made were so far
above anything 'normal' it was breathtaking.

after a canadian, i wanted a european to win, and sergio also had a very good tournament, along with fowler.

'the open' is my favourite major, i love the links courses, and i love the way they run their majors,
a simple approach, and the fans turned out in droves.

congratulations to rory mcIlroy, very deserving, now on to the 'pga championship', the last major of
the year.

i was glad the media finally stopped talking about mickelson and woods, i'm so tired of them trying
to force those two on us. if they play well, we'll be there, but if not, zip it up.

there are so many fine players on the pga, we don't have to be stuck in the past, we can move forward
with those players who are making their talents known.

Well said, talloola.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's not about the TV guys being in love with Woods, it's about money. If it wasn't for Tiger Woods there wouldn't be golf at the Olympics. No one has done more or the game than he. As one guy said the other day (maybe Richard Zokol), if you took the top 50 golfers and 50 of the lowest ranked PGA golfers, held two tournaments both televised at the same time and put Woods in the lowest group they'd get twice as many viewers.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's funny how we didn't hear anyone denigrate a great sporting event like the Tour de France when a Yank was winning it every year (although he could only win it by taking drugs, so it can't be that easy to win).

almost 100% took drugs in that race, for many years before the 'american' arrived there, and probably still do, if you compare the latest times compared to
the past, that would tell that story.

It's not about the TV guys being in love with Woods, it's about money. If it wasn't for Tiger Woods there wouldn't be golf at the Olympics. No one has done more or the game than he. As one guy said the other day (maybe Richard Zokol), if you took the top 50 golfers and 50 of the lowest ranked PGA golfers, held two tournaments both televised at the same time and put Woods in the lowest group they'd get twice as many viewers.

i understand that point. and yes money drives all of it, but common sense and reality must enter into
it with each tournament, and mickelson is just as talked about by the media, 'he is so loved', 'he is
a hall of famer', he is, he is, they are, they are, it gets so sickening.

this tournament in liverpool shut them up at least for once.

if tiger makes his way back into contention, then good for him, but life goes on, and so must the pga,
and if they can't survive without tiger, then they too are stuck in the past., and can't figure it out.

i know how he changed golf, just like gretzky changes hockey in the u.s., and jordan made his mark in the
nba, but it all moved on, and perhaps that is what is happening with tiger, maybe, maybe not.

the media have left golfers out of the loop so many times in tournaments, and kept showing tiger and
phil when they were obviously 'out' of it, but the media wouldn't let them out of it, but they sure
left others out of it.

the media are 'all about' story lines, they don't care much about the actual talent of an athlete, they
want the story, and tiger has given them that, over and over, and they even said that today, they wonder
if rory, or any of the other top golfers have the 'charizma' like tiger, and if they don't, then the
media and the same-like fans, aren't interested in them, not enough stories to go with them.

and also, if 'fans' can't watch a tournament because tiger isn't in it, then they aren't really golf
people, they are celebrity followers.

dave pratt on team 1040 has been preaching that speach for so long he sounds demented. "a tournament isn't
worth watching without tiger", come on pratt, get your head out of your butt and wake up. he doesn't
even know many very top golfers, BUT this morning, he sang a different tune, and wonders about tiger
now, but he also says, and he is right, tiger changed golf forever, and the stars who came behind him
are 'the next ones', and that is true, but they are not any less important as golfers and people, and
tiger would be the first to say that.

nike is very happy today, and that is also all about money, and nothing to do with tiger, as their
guy won the 'open'.

tiger has been thru so many swing changes, injuries, surgeries, and, as they call it 'his indescretions',
that 'all' of those things have piled on top of his aging body, and his thought process, he will be 40 soon.

paralysis by analysis.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I still don't think Rory has the intensity.. or obsession with perfection.. to reach the heights of a Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods (18 and 14 Majors respectively). But he's a very good and disciplined golfer. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another 2 or 3 Majors in his career.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
almost 100% took drugs in that race, for many years before the 'american' arrived there, and probably still do, if you compare the latest times compared to
the past, that would tell that story.

i understand that point. and yes money drives all of it, but common sense and reality must enter into
it with each tournament, and mickelson is just as talked about by the media, 'he is so loved', 'he is
a hall of famer', he is, he is, they are, they are, it gets so sickening.

this tournament in liverpool shut them up at least for once.

if tiger makes his way back into contention, then good for him, but life goes on, and so must the pga,
and if they can't survive without tiger, then they too are stuck in the past., and can't figure it out.

i know how he changed golf, just like gretzky changes hockey in the u.s., and jordan made his mark in the
nba, but it all moved on, and perhaps that is what is happening with tiger, maybe, maybe not.

the media have left golfers out of the loop so many times in tournaments, and kept showing tiger and
phil when they were obviously 'out' of it, but the media wouldn't let them out of it, but they sure
left others out of it.

the media are 'all about' story lines, they don't care much about the actual talent of an athlete, they
want the story, and tiger has given them that, over and over, and they even said that today, they wonder
if rory, or any of the other top golfers have the 'charizma' like tiger, and if they don't, then the
media and the same-like fans, aren't interested in them, not enough stories to go with them.

and also, if 'fans' can't watch a tournament because tiger isn't in it, then they aren't really golf
people, they are celebrity followers.

dave pratt on team 1040 has been preaching that speach for so long he sounds demented. "a tournament isn't
worth watching without tiger", come on pratt, get your head out of your butt and wake up. he doesn't
even know many very top golfers, BUT this morning, he sang a different tune, and wonders about tiger
now, but he also says, and he is right, tiger changed golf forever, and the stars who came behind him
are 'the next ones', and that is true, but they are not any less important as golfers and people, and
tiger would be the first to say that.

nike is very happy today, and that is also all about money, and nothing to do with tiger, as their
guy won the 'open'.

tiger has been thru so many swing changes, injuries, surgeries, and, as they call it 'his indescretions',
that 'all' of those things have piled on top of his aging body, and his thought process, he will be 40 soon.

paralysis by analysis.
But the reality is half of those tuning in want to see Tiger and that's why the have him on whenever they can. I'm not counting him out from anything at this point. He's hitting the ball as far as just about anyone else, even after just having major back surgery. Just making the cut was quite an accomplishment for the British Open.

What will be interesting is the Ryder Cup. Does he deserve to be on? Probably not. Can the golf industry afford not to have him on? Perhaps afford it but they will leave a gazillion dollars off the table if he doesn't play. Tom Watson has himself in a quandary. Surely he will get a ton of pressure off camera from Nike and TV networks (even the PGA) to have him on the team. It will take a lot of guts to keep him off.