101st Tour de France gets under way - in Yorkshire

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Cyclists, in their fluorescent lycra and their silly helmets, are usually a menace and a danger on the roads, who think the laws of the highways for which they pay no taxes don't apply to them as they pursue their Victorian hobby.

But you can't fail to be impressed by the sight of hundreds of them racing each other through the quintessential Yorkshire countryside.

Around a million fans have lined the route as the 101st Tour de France gets under way in Yorkshire.

Yesterday the first stage of Le Tour - which has been won by a Briton the last two years - was a 118-mile route from Leeds to Harrogate.

Amongst the places the riders passed through on their way was the village of Haworth, near Bradford, which was the home of the Brontes.

Today, hundreds of thousands of cycling fans again lined the route from York to Sheffield on a brutal and unpredictable day of Tour de France racing.

Italy's Vincenzo Nibali launched a late attack to win stage two of the race in North, West and South Yorkshire and claim the race leader's yellow jersey.

Nibali (Astana), the 2013 Giro d'Italia champion, left it late but timed his bid to the line to perfection to secure victory ahead of rivals for the overall title.

He also claimed the race leader's maillot jaune, from stage one winner Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano), who endured a difficult day.

It came after Britain's Mark Cavendish ruled himself out of the Tour after suffering a shoulder injury in a crash on the opening stage.

The Omega Pharma-QuickStep sprinter confirmed he would not start today’s second stage from York to Sheffield due to the pain caused yesterday.

Hundreds of thousands of fans line picturesque Tour de France route from York to Sheffield as Italian rider takes yellow jersey

Italy's Vincenzo Nibali launches late attack to win stage two of the race as it travels from York to Sheffield today

Mark Cavendish confirms his Tour de France adventure is over due to pain caused in yesterday's dramatic crash

25-times Tour stage winner suffered a joint separation when he tumbled to the tarmac in stage one in Harrogate

By Mark Duell
6 July 2014
Daily Mail

Stunning: The peloton traverses Grinton Moor in the Yorkshire Dales during the first stage of Le Tour, a 118-mile route from Leeds to Harrogate

Hundreds of thousands of cycling fans again lined the route from York to Sheffield today on a brutal and unpredictable day of Tour de France racing.

Italy's Vincenzo Nibali launched a late attack to win stage two of the race in North, West and South Yorkshire and claim the race leader's yellow jersey.

Nibali (Astana), the 2013 Giro d'Italia champion, left it late but timed his bid to the line to perfection to secure victory ahead of rivals for the overall title.

Cheering them on: The peloton rides up Main Street as stage two of the Tour de France passes through Haworth, West Yorkshire

Victory: Astana Procycling team rider Vincenzo Nibali (centre) of Italy celebrates after winning stage two of the Tour de France cycling race between York and Sheffield

Spectators line the route: The Peloton passes York Minster in York, North Yorkshire during the 2014 Tour de France today

Battle: The riders are on the way during the second stage of the 101st edition of the Tour de France cycling race between York and Sheffield

Devastated: Britain's Mark Cavendish speaks to the press outside the Omega Pharma Quick-Step team bus at York Racecourse ahead of the start of Stage 2 of the Tour De France

Camera phones in the air: The peleton heads back into Yorkshire after climbing Cragg Vale during the 2014 Tour de France

Popular attraction: Spectators make their way up a hill called Holm Moss in Yorkshire as they get ready to watch Stage two of the Tour de France

Different colours: Slovakia's Peter Sagan (left) wearing the best young's white jersey, Germany's Marcel Kittel (second left) wearing the overall leader's yellow jersey, France's Bryan Coquard (second right) wearing the best sprinter's green jersey, and Germany's Jens Voigt (right) wearing the best climber's polka dot jersey, ride in York

Narrow road: The peloton rides up Main Street as stage two of the Tour de France passes through Haworth, West Yorkshire

Taking a photo: Cycling fans watching the riders pass by at Honley, near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, during the 2014 Tour de France

He also claimed the race leader's maillot jaune, from stage one winner Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano), who endured a difficult day.

It came after a devastated Mark Cavendish ruled himself out of the Tour after suffering a shoulder injury in a crash on the opening stage.

The Omega Pharma-QuickStep sprinter confirmed he would not start today’s second stage from York to Sheffield due to the pain caused yesterday.

The 25-times Tour stage winner separated a joint between his right shoulder and collarbone when he tumbled to the tarmac on stage one in Harrogate.

He collided with Australian Simon Gerrans (Orica-GreenEdge) in a frantic finale as Giant-Shimano's Marcel Kittel won the stage and the yellow jersey.

‘I'm absolutely devastated,’ 29-year-old Cavendish said at York Racecourse today. ‘We kind of knew last night. We knew straight away.

‘I normally bounce back from some crashes quite well. I assessed my body yesterday and for the first time in my career I knew something was wrong.

‘I was in pain last night. I held a bit of optimism that it was maybe just swelling and would go down overnight, but it's actually worse this morning.

‘It's not possible to start, from a medical point of view.’

How it works: These graphics show the Tour de France map for July through England and France (top) and the route for stage two today from York to Sheffield (bottom)

+22

Around England: These are the Tour de France route maps for stage 1 yesterday (top) and stage 3 tomorrow (bottom)

Holm Moss: The event has brought thousands of cycling fans to Yorkshire

Prepared: Spectators sit on Holm Moss as others make their way up the hill. Holm Moss is located in the upper north of the Peak District National Park

Getting into the spirit of things: A group of girls paint their faces in King of the Mountain colours as they get ready to watch Stage two of the Tour de France

Uphill effort: Cavendish'swithdrawal means just three Britons remain in the race - defending champion Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas, and Simon Yates

Special event for Yorkshire: The seven leading riders ride up Main Street as stage two of the Tour de France passes through Haworth

Welcome to Derbyshire: Spectators make their way up a hill called Holm Moss as they get ready to watch Stage two as the race leaves God's Own County and crosses the border into Derbyshire

Action: Australia's Simon Gerrans (right) and Britain's Mark Cavendish (left) fall near the finish line at the end of the first stage of the Tour de France yesterday

Paying attention: The Duchess of Cambridge (left) and Prince William and Prince Harry (right) look on in shock as they watch Cavendish crash near the finish line

Read more: Tour de France fans line picturesque route from York to Sheffield in their masses | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I just watched a replay of the stage as Nibali won. Am glad that so many people are enthused about this demanding and noble event despite all the bad press generated by the cheating of druggie Lance Armstrong. Despite all the shame he brought on the sport, it is still alive and well. Awesome crowds - what incredible enthusiasm the folks showed.

During the broadcast I noticed that reporter Bob Roll has mellowed out compared to his highly enthused manner in the past. Now that Wimbledon is over, and FIFA's final four are near, the TDF is something to look forward to for the rest of the month. Ah, and not to be be forgotten, CFL is on, too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I just watched a replay of the stage as Nibali won. Am glad that so many people are enthused about this demanding and noble event despite all the bad press generated by the cheating of druggie Lance Armstrong. Despite all the shame he brought on the sport, it is still alive and well. Awesome crowds - what incredible enthusiasm the folks showed.

During the broadcast I noticed that reporter Bob Roll has mellowed out compared to his highly enthused manner in the past. Now that Wimbledon is over, and FIFA's final four are near, the TDF is something to look forward to for the rest of the month. Ah, and not to be be forgotten, CFL is on, too.

this event has been done full of cheaters before lance armstrong ever came onto the scene. he and his
team were getting beaten all the time till they joined up with scientist/doctor, (forget his name), then
he was in charge of their doping program, and then they began to compete much better with all of the
other 'dirty' riders. the only reason all of the attention was given to armstrong is because, first,
he is american, which totally pissed off the europeans, (who were also cheating), and secondly because
he and his team began to win, then it was all out war against him.
it is comical how many target 'him' as though he was by himself in the doping', nope he was just part
of a big doping program, and some of the stats were amazing, as said only a very very few did not
take part in doping for races.

i don't agree with what he did either, but please, don't signal him out, as the only one, not so.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
You are correct in one respect - he was not solely responsible for the cheating. But it was his own team mates who ratted on him and admitted that they were in on the cheating. In doing so they implicated themselves and have also been banned as has Dr Ferrari. The reason why Armstrong has been hit harder than anyone else is because of his repeated denials - he would sue others and his thug lawyers managed to bankrupt a number of people. People who were innocent and who were correct all along. Who is going to compensate them? Nobody - that's why Armstrong needs to be punished even more. This way the money is gotten back and those innocents who lost their money can be compensated.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You are correct in one respect - he was not solely responsible for the cheating. But it was his own team mates who ratted on him and admitted that they were in on the cheating. In doing so they implicated themselves and have also been banned as has Dr Ferrari. The reason why Armstrong has been hit harder than anyone else is because of his repeated denials - he would sue others and his thug lawyers managed to bankrupt a number of people. People who were innocent and who were correct all along. Who is going to compensate them? Nobody - that's why Armstrong needs to be punished even more. This way the money is gotten back and those innocents who lost their money can be compensated.

all of the others were just as guilty, and only because of money is he being targeted alone, and the
others are being left alone, so it tells me that if any of those 'others' had been the ones to win
and make all the money, then it would have been them, BUT had they been european, nothing of the kind
would have happened, even if they were just as decorated because that was the way it was for years
in europe, a dirty sport, but when that 'american' came upon the scene they had their knickers in a
knot and hated him from the very getgo, they hated that the american was taking away their attention,
then when the cancer hit him, they hated him even more, even accused him of faking the cancer.
doesn't matter who ratted on who, and how messy it became, the 'whole' sport has been dirty for many
years, could count on one hand the clean riders, but many approach it as though 'he' introduced doping to
the sport, and he still has never tested positive, that doctor had his connections.

what are we watching right now when we see all of those riders, are we really so
nieve to think, "ah yes, lance is guilty, caught, confessed, and now the sport
is clean", what a joke.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's supposed to be the job of the podium girl to give the Tour de France stage winner a peck on the cheek when presenting him with the yellow jersey.

Yet when Stage Two winner Vincenzo Nibali went for a celebratory kiss with a podium girl in Sheffield she rejected him.

He was given his maillot jaune and handed some flowers but as he went in for a kiss the podium girl awkwardly pulled away, leaving the Team Astana rider red-faced and feeling awkward.

Give it another 40 years and she'll probably claim that he historically abused her....

Kiss me quick... or maybe not: Moment tour de France winner was left kissing air by podium girl after celebrating win in Yorkshire

Nibali leaned in for a kiss and was flatly rejected by podium girl
The Italian won stage two of the Tour between York and Sheffield
Chris Froome came 19th but Mark Cavendish forced to withdraw from Tour

By Mike Dawes
7 July 2014
Daily Mail

Vincenzo Nibali may have charmed the Yorkshire public but he soon found out he could not steal the heart of all who witnessed his Tour de France stage two win.

The Italian stormed to victory on the stage between York and Sheffield but he was rejected by the podium girl when he went in for a celebratory kiss during the presentation of his yellow jersey.

He was given his maillot jaune and handed some flowers but as he went in for a kiss the podium girl awkwardly pulled away, leaving the Team Astana rider hanging.

Leading man: Vincenzo Nibali, the champion of Italy, receives the Tour de France leader's yellow jersey from the podium girl after winning stage two in Sheffield

All smiles: Italian Vincenzo Nibali (centre) looks at the podium girl after being given his yellow jersey

Making a move: He leans his head towards the podium girl who looks straight towards him

Blanked: She then turns her head away from Nibali and flat out rejects his advances for a kiss

Red faced: Nibali looks awkward and places his hand behind his head as she turns away from him

Mellow yellow: Nibali takes the applause moments after his snub after the second stage of Le Tour, brilliantly hosted in Yorkshire

Hundreds of thousands of people lined the 201-kilometre route from York on a brutal day of racing which involved many climbs.

Nibali forced a late break and he took the yellow jersey from stage one winner, Germany Marcel Kittel.

Britain's Chris Froome finished 19th on the stage but Mark Cavendish was forced to withdraw from the Tour through injury.

Big finish: Nibali defied criticism to take the yellow jersey on day two of the Tour de France

Late burst: Nibali of Astana broke away from the lead group in the closing kilometres and held on

Fun: Nibali was able to have a laugh on the podium with a cuddly toy lion after being rejected

Read more: Tour de France stage two winner Vincenzo Nibali rejected by podium girl | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Interesting how radio sports commentators have said that the crowds in Britain have actually been larger and more enthused than those in France during TDF. While there is a Triple Crown of sorts in road cycling (TDF, Vuelta, & Giro) perhaps UCI should add a fourth crown in Britain. That will add to the sport has some of its prestige which was lost thanks to that cheat Armstrong and it will generate revenue for the teams, the host countries, the sponsors, and the athletes.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Today's stage, like the earlier ones, was marked by slick roads as there has been rain & oil all over them. Riders have slipped and some have gotten injured very badly. It was won by Andre Greipel while Nibali retains the yellow jersey.

Hopefully, the TDF directors will do something to improve traction and reduce injuries.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I usually watch TDF on Eurosport. What is particularly interesting is how Greg Lemond is now a commentator in its broadcasts. For a long while the name Lemond was dirt because he criticized Lance Armstrong who was viewed as hero for such a long time. Armstrong got many positive headlines while the much of the early controversy was side stepped. It was Lemond who more than anyone else insisted that something sinister was going on behind closed doors. I, like so many others, was fooled and called him a bad sport. It turns out he was correct. Now he is on European tv every day but still does not appear on USA tv. Well, it's time for the American media to give him plaudits for his daring warnings in the past and to put him on daily tv where he belongs.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I usually watch TDF on Eurosport. What is particularly interesting is how Greg Lemond is now a commentator in its broadcasts. For a long while the name Lemond was dirt because he criticized Lance Armstrong who was viewed as hero for such a long time. Armstrong got many positive headlines while the much of the early controversy was side stepped. It was Lemond who more than anyone else insisted that something sinister was going on behind closed doors. I, like so many others, was fooled and called him a bad sport. It turns out he was correct. Now he is on European tv every day but still does not appear on USA tv. Well, it's time for the American media to give him plaudits for his daring warnings in the past and to put him on daily tv where he belongs.

did he 'only' criticize lance armstrong, or was he completely honest and criticize how the sport was
in big trouble because the majority were taking steroids.
if he stayed in europe then he kept popular by 'not' suggesting, while knowing, that the majority of
europeans were taking steroids long before armstrong arrived on the scene, any other scenerio, which
suggests armstrong was soley guilty, while the rest were clean is preposterous, and very dishonest.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
The interviews that got the most attention were those in which he said the only reason why Armstrong won was because he cheated. In those days that was verboten as Armstrong was touted as a big American hero. And, if you recall, in those days I defended him on this forum back then and criticized Lemond as I thought he was being a spoil sport. But so did everybody else. Now that it has been proven he was correct, nobody in the USA sports media has admitted that Lemond was correct after all.

We all know that cheating has gone on in UCI for decades. But that was not the point I was making. Instead I was referring to the ostracism Lemond has gotten over the years from the American sports media. With the revelations and finalization of the investigations and lifetime bans, it's time to give him the kudos he deserves. To me, he should be on NBC. I say this not knowing if he has been offered a contract with that network and assume he hasn't. But hopefully he'll be on that network and at forefront of the cycling reporting in the USA.

Perhaps this can give you a little more background as to the hassles he has faced in recent years:

LeMond Bikes Return for 2014 With Time | Bicycling Magazine

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Michael Rogers wins today's exciting stage.

GC at this point:

Nibali
Valverdi
Pinot

The Tour does not get the attention it used to get but it still is quite a bit of fun.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Yesterday I watched an ESPN feature on Greg LeMond - it showed that he, indeed, was dirt to many in UCI for daring to criticize Lance Armstrong. Today, as a commentator noted, he is back in good graces with UCI and is respected more than ever for his bravery in speaking out and for returning after the terrible accident that nearly cost him his life.

A British tv commentator said that there has been a "royal curse" in that the duke & dutchess of Cambridge shook hands with a number of riders as the Tour started. All but one of those riders have dropped out of the race due to crash or injury!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Le Tour!

Final classification:

Nibali
Peraud
Pinot
Valverde
Van Garderen - USA

And it's official - Euro Sport network calls Greg LeMond the Ambassador of Cycling!

Sensational Tour as always.