Eugenie Bouchard loses Wimbledon final to Petra Kvitova

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Excellent effort though and thanks for representing us young lady. :smile:

Eugenie Bouchard’s historic run at Wimbledon has come to an end with a loss in the women’s final.

Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic beat Bouchard 6-3, 6-0 to claim her second Wimbledon title.

No Canadian had reached the Wimbledon women’s singles quarter-finals in the Open era before Bouchard.

She had a breakthrough season last year and reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and French Open earlier this season.
Bouchard, from Westmount, Que., is currently ranked 13th in the world, seven positions below Kvitova.

Milos Raonic of Thornhill, Ont., made it to the men’s semifinal at the All England Club before losing in straight sets to Switzerland’s Roger Federer.

http://www.680news.com/2014/07/05/eugenie-bouchard-loses-wimbledon-final-to-petra-kvitova/

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Sadly, Eugenie lacked the composure needed to win Wimby. WTA commentators have said that her approach to tennis is a bit mechanical and lacks improvisation. This is likely so. This will likely change as her game is evolving thanks to the work with her new coach. Still, it was a great run and I expect to see more success for her in the near future.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Eugenie's wish to win did not come true again. the curse of Justin bieber strikes again. :shock: :(

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Good for her. She'll inspire lots of kids to take up the game.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Excellent effort though and thanks for representing us young lady. :smile:

Eugenie Bouchard’s historic run at Wimbledon has come to an end with a loss in the women’s final.

Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic beat Bouchard 6-3, 6-0 to claim her second Wimbledon title.

No Canadian had reached the Wimbledon women’s singles quarter-finals in the Open era before Bouchard.

She had a breakthrough season last year and reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and French Open earlier this season.
Bouchard, from Westmount, Que., is currently ranked 13th in the world, seven positions below Kvitova.

Milos Raonic of Thornhill, Ont., made it to the men’s semifinal at the All England Club before losing in straight sets to Switzerland’s Roger Federer.

Eugenie Bouchard loses Wimbledon final to Petra Kvitova | 680News
She did not go there with her best game.

Still captured a cool $1.6 Million though!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Was just watching Rogers Cup round 2 as Shelby Rogers (USA) defeated Eugenie Bouchard 2-1. The crowd was definitely on Eugenie's side as this took place in Montreal. But the Yank pulled up her sox and bageled her twice for the win.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Bouchard advances in the Aussie Open - had a great match vs Romanian Begu

ohhhh Canada!!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
She needs to improve her serve. Otherwise a very strong player.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Genie put up a good match vs Maria Sharapova but came up short in the end.

Masha's strong serves and solid winners defeated the very game Canadian. Afterwards all said she has a great future in the WTA.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Maria's super loud screeching may have played a part of her win. ;)

She's not the only female tennis player who shrieks. Most if them are at it. Of course, it's one of those annoying modern fads. They never use to shriek like a cat being put through a mangle. When Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977, or Ann Jones in 1969, or Angela Mortimer in 1961, they never shrieked and wailed their way to victory. It's only the last few years that they've been doing it. Wimbledon has tried to ban it, but they still keep at it, wailing like a banshee every time they hit the little ball over the net. Women's sport is laughable as it is without these dopey birds making it even more silly.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
She's not the only female tennis player who shrieks. Most if them are at it. Of course, it's one of those annoying modern fads. They never use to shriek like a cat being put through a mangle. When Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977, or Ann Jones in 1969, or Angela Mortimer in 1961, they never shrieked and wailed their way to victory. It's only the last few years that they've been doing it. Wimbledon has tried to ban it, but they still keep at it, wailing like a banshee every time they hit the little ball over the net. Women's sport is laughable as it is whether these dopey birds making even more silly.

It started with Monica Seles and her grunting. From there it evolved into the high pitched screeching that Maria uses. The WTA has issued a directive to pro tennis instructors to teach new, young players to refrain from doing that. The McEnroe brothers say they are trying to teach it but neither said they are entirely optimistic that this problem can be done away with.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Well Eugenie Bouchard lost is straight sets to 44th ranked Kristina Mladenovic.. in the first round of the 2015 French Open. And has lost 7 of her last 8 tour matches.

She seems to have patches of her old brilliance.. but i can't help but noting how different she looked than last year. She must 10 to 15 pounds lighter.. and her legs look shredded.. like she's been on a regime of dieting and pumping iron.

Tennis is a game where you have to tailor your training to your strengths and Bouchard is never going to be a power player. She's a great returner and mover.. and i think she has to get back to the way she played.. the way she looked last year.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It started with Monica Seles and her grunting. From there it evolved into the high pitched screeching that Maria uses. The WTA has issued a directive to pro tennis instructors to teach new, young players to refrain from doing that. The McEnroe brothers say they are trying to teach it but neither said they are entirely optimistic that this problem can be done away with.

Refuse to pay them every time they shriek, or kick them out of the tournament. That'll stop it straight away.

Well Eugenie Bouchard lost is straight sets to 44th ranked Kristina Mladenovic.. in the first round of the 2015 French Open. And has lost 7 of her last 8 tour matches.

She seems to have patches of her old brilliance.. but i can't help but noting how different she looked than last year. She must 10 to 15 pounds lighter.. and her legs look shredded.. like she's been on a regime of dieting and pumping iron.

Tennis is a game where you have to tailor your training to your strengths and Bouchard is never going to be a power player. She's a great returner and mover.. and i think she has to get back to the way she played.. the way she looked last year.

I watched Djokovic blow away Nieminen last night. The guy just makes it look easy. It's also players like Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray which shows the huge quality of the men's game compared to the second-rate fare served up by the women's game.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Refuse to pay them every time they shriek, or kick them out of the tournament. That'll stop it straight away.

I watched Djokovic blow away Nieminen last night. The guy just makes it look easy. It's also players like Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray which shows the huge quality of the men's game compared to the second-rate fare served up by the women's game.

I have SOME sympathy with those statements. I think the shrieking (you can't call it grunting) of a Maria Sharipova demeans and disfigures the game. In Maria's case it is almost definitely used to break the concentration of her rival, which to me is as unsporting as coughing when your opponent is putting in golf.

I've seen some entertaining women's matches.. but nothing to compare to a grueling 5 set match between two top men players. However the women are now payed at a par with the men at all the Majors and at the Masters events. They don't get nearly the ratings or attendance though.

Last edited: