2014 CFL Season

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My computer decided to give up the ghost on Monday so was not able to post about the opening games of the season. Thanks to a dear friend, I am using hers until I can get to town and by a new one.

Was very impressed with the Bomber's win over the Argos on Thursday night. As the panel kept saying, it was only one game, but Drew and the crew finally gave Winnipeg fans something to cheer about and hope for the future. It was good to see Winnipeg fans standing on their feet cheering their lungs out albeit the crowd numbered only 24, 872. And it didn't take long for them to get into the spirit as Drew led his team downfield to score a TD on the opening drive of the game. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that season ticket sales took an upturn after Thursday's game.

As TSN was wont to note, Willy’s debut as #1 pivot for the Bomber’s was ‘nothing short of stunning.’ Throwing for 4 TDs and registering not one single interception, Drew also racked up an impressive 246 yards while completing 12 of his 18 passes beating Rickie Ray’s record of 141 yards and a single TD. No small thing to beat Rickie though in his defence I must say that his team let him down just about every way they could. The Argos wracked up 16 penalties in the first period and finished the game with a total of 22. The Bombers had but 7.

Even Scott Milanovich, whose Argos had a less than stellar opening season game had good things to say about Willy’s performance. "They protected the passer well and Drew made the throws that were there," Milanovich said. "Give him a lot of credit, that was an excellent first start for him."

Winnipeg’s Aaron Kelly also had a fine debut as he got 2 TD's and a 100-yard game.

Final Score: 45 -21 for the Blue and Gold. Rock on Bombers!

For the first time in 15 years a QB other than Anthony Calvillo took to the field as pivot for the Als.......it was not to be a great day for the starter, Troy Smith, as he completed only 17 of 40 passes was intercepted once and sacked 4 times in the game.

Bo Levi Mitchell on the other hand had a great day for the Stamps as he finished the day with 2 TDs, 313 yards offence and 0 interceptions.

Jon Cornish had his bell rung by Kyries Hebert who was ejected from the game after a high hard hit that saw Cornish spread-eagled on the turf, out cold. Although the ambulance was called to the field, Jon managed to get off on his own power...............but the team will be without his services until he clears concussion protocol.

Final Score: 29 - 8 for the Horsemen.

The Edmonton Eskimos had a beaut of an opening season game though BC fans may not share my enthusiasm. ;-) They might have thought the outcome was to be much different after the Lions got off to an early start and led by 2 TDs at the end of the first. However, by half-time, the Esks were only down by 3 points and the second half was to prove a much different game for both teams. Kevin Glenn, starter for the Lions, was intercepted four times and the Eskimos took the lead 20 to 17 in the last seconds of the 3rd. They came back to score another in the 4th to beat the Lions 27 - 20. I was most impressed with rookie head coach Chris Jones whose innovative play-calling especially the fake punt and on-side kick added a lot of excitement to the game.

Rock on Edmonton!

The most important game of the week :lol: has yet to played as the Riders will play host to the Ti-Cats in a rematch of the Grey Cup game, later today. I missed the Riders pre-season game so am really looking forward to see all the new additions and familiar faces. It will be interesting to see who steps up to fill the big holes left by Kory and Weston who are pursuing their dreams of an NFL career and all the best to them.

Game time: 4 PM PST

GO RIDERS!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
4 interceptions for kevin glen, certainly sent lions down hill in the game, hope he fixes that
little quirk, maybe its just the first game jitters, but he is not a rookie, so its kind of
concerning.

lulay is on 6 game injury list now, so lions have to figure it out for awhile yet.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
31-10 for the Roughriders.

Only 10 sacks on the TiCat QB.

And Foley gets a hat-trick on sacks! Very impressed with the Rider D, petros and the offence ain't too shabby either. :smile: Looks like Kory can rest easy as Anthony Allen had himself a helluva of game. 151 yards rushing and 2 TDs.............Rock on Anthony. Riders let their foot off the gas in the 4th but by then it was all but over anyway.

Good solid win for our guys, petros. Rock on Riders. :smile:

I wonder how well they can run in hip wadders.?

Heard there were flash floods today, petros though it didn't seem to slow our guys down much.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Winnipeg-Montreal = am watching what has turned out to be a very long game.

Far too many penalties are being called and a new rule allows the coach to challenge a penalty or non-penalty call. Because of that the first half took over one hour & forty five minutes. With the half time recess and second half the game will easily take 3.5 hours or longer. Much too long and too tiring to watch.

The second half of the game was speeded up and Calgary won 34-33 over Montreal.

Actually, it was a good game but that first half needed to be speeded up and the league must have forced the referees to accelerate the calls and action.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Winnipeg-Montreal = am watching what has turned out to be a very long game.

Far too many penalties are being called and a new rule allows the coach to challenge a penalty or non-penalty call. Because of that the first half took over one hour & forty five minutes. With the half time recess and second half the game will easily take 3.5 hours or longer. Much too long and too tiring to watch.

The second half of the game was speeded up and Calgary won 34-33 over Montreal.

Actually, it was a good game but that first half needed to be speeded up and the league must have forced the referees to accelerate the calls and action.
Such a long game that one team (Winnipeg) looks to have completely worn themselves out and been replaced with another (Calgary). I think that is a CFL first.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
hahhaaa! Fer sure. You know, I prolly got more fatigued than the players did! Whew - hopefully they will make the games shorter and people like me with short attention spans won't get lost in the details ... ;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
hahhaaa! Fer sure. You know, I prolly got more fatigued than the players did! Whew - hopefully they will make the games shorter and people like me with short attention spans won't get lost in the details ... ;)

I really don't see the point in challenging penalties. The NFL at least has that right by disallowing that. The refs are judged by the league on the penalty calls but it does not slow down the game.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
At half time the commentators did say that the new challenge system prolongs the game. However, they were pretty much non committal as to whether it is a good thing or not. For me, heck no - a limited challenge for yardage or the spot the ball should be on is ok. But challenge for penalties, no -- it's a judgment call anyways and in any case the referee is not likely to overrule any of his assistants.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
At half time the commentators did say that the new challenge system prolongs the game. However, they were pretty much non committal as to whether it is a good thing or not. For me, heck no - a limited challenge for yardage or the spot the ball should be on is ok. But challenge for penalties, no -- it's a judgment call anyways and in any case the referee is not likely to overrule any of his assistants.

Difference in Canadian commentators and American ones. The US ones are quick to take and opinion even if they have to change it after halftime.

All TDs are reviewed now.

That is reasonable. TDs and turnovers should be automatic. Give coaches limited number of flags to challenge other plays.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
IdRatherBeSkiing; said:
Difference in Canadian commentators and American ones. The US ones are quick to take and opinion even if they have to change it after halftime.

That is reasonable. TDs and turnovers should be automatic. Give coaches limited number of flags to challenge other plays.

You're right bout that one. Canadian football commentators are quite mellow compared to USA and British commentators. But the most opinionated I ever saw was the Australian rugby commentators, especially Ray Warren who had a fight every night with Phil Gould on every broadcast.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I remember back in 70's Pat Marsden added commentary that was quite critical at times. He would be straight up and call a play or ref bush league. The league didn't like it and they put pressure on the tv broadcaster (CTV).

I think today the analysts are soft because they have a close relationship to a lot of the players. And they know they aren't playing for 2 million dollar contracts. But it would be better if they injected some straight-up opinion from time to time.