Liverpool on verge of winning the title for first time since 1990

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
On the weekend in which English football has marked the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough, Liverpool took a giant step towards becoming English champions for the first time since 1990.

A tearful Steven Gerrard gave an impassioned speech to his Liverpool team-mates after they moved into pole position in the title race on an emotional day at Anfield.

The Liverpool captain was at his brilliant best in the heart of the midfield as Manchester City, one of Liverpool's main title rivals, were beaten 3-2 at Anfield.

And as Liverpool fans and players went wild at the final whistle on a day when the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster was marked, Gerrard, with tears in his eyes, pulled his team together and said: 'Listen, this is gone. We go to Norwich. Exactly the same. We go together. Come on!'

Liverpool have now won ten games in a row, and this win puts them two points clear at the top of the table, and seven ahead of Manchester City. If they win their remaining four games, they will win the title for the first time in 24 years.

Gerrard's passion play inspires Liverpool with stirring speech after victory over City

Steven Gerrard gives rousing address to Liverpool team-mates on pitch
Skipper tells his colleagues 'This is gone. We go to Norwich'

'That was the longest 90 minutes I've ever played,' adds Gerrard

He adds that Liverpool have 'four cup finals left'

Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-2 at Anfield

By Joe Ridge
13 April 2014

LIVERPOOL 3 MANCHESTER CITY 2

A tearful Steven Gerrard gave an impassioned speech to his Liverpool team-mates after they moved into pole position in the title race on an emotional day at Anfield.

The Liverpool captain was at his brilliant best in the heart of the midfield as Manchester City were beaten 3-2 at Anfield.

And as Liverpool fans and players went wild at the final whistle on a day when the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster was marked, Gerrard, with tears in his eyes, pulled his team together and said: 'Listen, this is gone. We go to Norwich. Exactly the same. We go together. Come on!'

Passion: Gerrard issues a rallying cry to his team mates after the final whistle

Focus: Gerrard told his team mates to forget about this game and look to the trip to Norwich

Crying game: An emotional Liverpool skipper wipes his face after being reduced to tears at the final whistle

The longest game: Gerrard insists he thought the clock was going backwards at Anfield

Leading role: The Liverpool captain is on the brink of winning his first Premier League title

Reflecting on the game and its aftermath, Gerrard told Sky Sports: 'It was emotional. We need to keep calm. There's four big games to come.

'That means so much. They got back into the game and I feared the worst.

'That's the biggest statement we've made so far. We've showed we're going to take it to the wire.

'That was the longest 90 minutes I've played in. I kept flashing back to how long the clock was taking. It felt like clock was going backwards at one point!

'But that is such a big result for us. We've got four cup finals left. People said that was the biggest one (match) but I disagree - I think the biggest one now is Norwich.

'We'll let other people comment on whose it is to lose - your experts will have their say.

'Nothing is ours yet.'

In with a shout: Gerrard celebrates at the end of Liverpool's famous victory

Roar talent: Gerrard says the win was Liverpool's biggest statement of the season so far

Emotional: Gerrard scrunches himself up into a ball as he savours the win, which could have decided the title

Winning feeling: Gerrard (left) chases after Philippe Coutinho after the Brazilian's decisive strike

Embrace: Gerrard hugs Martin Skrtel after the defender scores Liverpool's second goal

When Sky broadcaster Geoff Shreeves asked what was said in the huddle, Gerrard said: 'None of your business!

'It's important not to get carried away. The important thing now is not to get carried away with that result. We need to stay calm and prepare for Norwich.

'The scenes are great today and the fans are very happy, but we have a day off tomorrow and then we go for Norwich.'

Asked if Liverpool could now dare to dream, Gerrard said: 'Not yet.'

Mind your business! Gerrard told off Sky's interviewer Geoff Shreeves after the match

Central figure: Gerrard did most of his best work protecting his back four, as our heat map shows

Following Liverpool's win over Manchester City, Steven Gerrard is now favourite with some bookmakers to be Sports Personality of the Year

Rodgers feels his team deserve all the plaudits for the spirit they showed in claiming maximum points having thrown away a two-goal lead.

He said: 'I thought we were incredible today. We showed so much quality. To come back showed the character in this group - it's three very valuable points for us.

'We were well on top in the first half but they've got top players and top players respond. They very quickly got themselves back into the game, but we changed the shape again and the goal came.

'It was a wonderful atmosphere, pitch-side it was incredible, so between us all - players, supporters and staff - it was a great victory for us.'