The Canadian Invasion

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda

Of the US is right on schedule.

NHL selling out more arenas than the NBA

The surging popularity of the National Hockey League in the U.S. can’t be denied.

The revenue confirms it. The ratings confirm it. The buzz around star players and successful teams, nationally and locally, confirms it. We just had over 105,000 fans watch a game worth two points in the standings, freezing their rumps off in the snow.

It’s been an ongoing trend since the League rebooted after the 2005 lockout. There’s been some luck involved, like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin arriving and having a steady parade of big market teams in the Stanley Cup Final. But the end result is still an unprecedented level of enthusiasm for the product.

Meanwhile, what the National Basketball Association has experienced over the last five years can be correctly termed an “enthusiasm gap.” Some markets thrive because their teams are winners; other markets that had winning teams once upon a time have decided the product is stale; still other markets simply haven’t built, or rebuilt, fan bases due to a lack of success.

In 2013-14, the comparison between the leagues reveals how stark a difference in enthusiasm we’re seeing. Or, at the very least, how much more aggressive the NHL is being in pushing its product.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-selling-more-arenas-nba-225020461--nhl.html

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The quicker Canada is assimilated into the USA the better... don't worry it will be painless..

This message has been brought to you by the Conservative Borg Party of Canada

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They tried that once (2 US teams).

I don't believe that those American-based teams were able to compete with the NFL
More than two if I recall, Baltimore, Shreveport, Las Vegas, and Sacramento for sure and there may have been more. I think the mistake was in the locations. They should have put the southern teams in places like Arizona and Florida, where there are lots of Canadians. Then sprinkle some teams just south of the Canadian border where there is a connection to Canada

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
More than two if I recall, Baltimore, Shreveport, Las Vegas, and Sacramento for sure and there may have been more. I think the mistake was in the locations. They should have put the southern teams in places like Arizona and Florida, where there are lots of Canadians. Then sprinkle some teams just south of the Canadian border where there is a connection to Canada

You probably right about there being more than 2 teams. I just remember a couple.

I think it would be a tough call regarding the location choice(s). NFL and college ball are so ingrained in the community that it would be one helluva effort to crack that nut