Prince William vows to take his son to see Aston Villa thrash Manchester United

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince William has vowed to make his new son, Prince George, an Aston Villa fan like himself.

The future king made the vow in a video message released yesterday to mark the 150th anniversary of England's Football Association (FA), of which football-mad William is the President.

It was on 26th October 1863 that the modern version of the world's greatest and most popular team sport was born at Freemasons' Tavern, now The Grand Connaught Rooms, in Holborn, London.

The first ever match under the modern rules of football was between Barnes and Richmond, which ended 0-0, at Limes Field in southwest London.

The Duke of Cambridge, 31, spoke about sitting with George - christened on Wednesday - as the claret and blues of Aston Villa 'thrash' Premier League champions Manchester United.

In the video, William smiled as he said: 'When Villa thrash Man U at Villa Park, my son will be there.'

The royal also joked about his anxieties ahead of a competitive football match to mark the FA's 150th anniversary that was staged at Buckingham Palace earlier this month, hinting at worries the Queen's garden might have turned into a bog.

Speaking about his role as FA president, William said: 'I've always loved football since I was a young boy. I've never got any better at it, but I keep saying to myself, 'If you keep trying, eventually something will happen'.

'It's always meant a great deal to me being president of the FA. There's a lot of good that football can do around the world, and in this country.'

Last night William attended an FA gala dinner tonight to mark the anniversary, with the event staged at the Grand Connaught Rooms in London - the site where the founder fathers of English (and world) football met in 1863.

The prince is a keen supporter of Birmingham football club Aston Villa.

He watched the 2000 FA Cup Semi-Final between Aston Villa and Bolton Wanderers (two of the 12 founder members of the English Football League) and the then 17-year-old went into the Villa dressing room after the game to congratulate the players on reaching the Final.

When Prince Charles went to watch Aston Villa play in 2001 he was under orders to return to Buckingham Palace with a pair of Villa socks for William.

Recently, the club sent Prince George a little replica Villa kit for Prince George to wear.

Tom Hanks is also an Aston Villa fan.

Today, football is the world's most popular team sport, with 200 countries worlwide now having their own football associations.

'I want George to be a Villa fan:' Prince William vows to take his son to see his team 'thrash' Manchester United

Duke's jokes in video message to mark 150th anniversary of the FA
'I've always loved football since I was a boy, I've never got any better at it'
He tells of 'sweating moment' when he asked his grandmother the Queen if he could stage match in the Palace garden

By Craig Mackenzie
26 October 2013
Daily Mail

Proud father Prince William is determined his baby son George will be a devoted Aston Villa fan like him.

He has vowed to take the little prince to watch his team at Villa Park in a video message released today to mark the 150th anniversary of the Football Association.

The Duke of Cambridge spoke about sitting with George - christened on Wednesday - as the claret and blues 'thrash' Premier League champions Manchester United.

Football fan: Prince William, with his son George at the royal christening, has promised to take the prince to see his beloved Aston Villa

In the video, William smiled as he said: 'When Villa thrash Man U at Villa Park, my son will be there.'

The royal also joked about his anxieties ahead of a competitive football match that was staged at Buckingham Palace earlier this month, hinting at worries the Queen's garden might have turned into a bog.

Speaking about his role as FA president, William said: 'I've always loved football since I was a young boy. I've never got any better at it, but I keep saying to myself, 'If you keep trying, eventually something will happen'.

'It's always meant a great deal to me being president of the FA. There's a lot of good that football can do around the world, and in this country.

A football match was recently held in the Queen's garden at Buckingham Palace to mark the 150th anniversary of the English FA, the world's oldest football association. The match was between two of England's oldest amateur clubs, Civil Service FC and Polytechnic FC

Soccer-mad: The Duke of Cambridge, the FA President, practises his skills before the match at Buckingham Palace

'But globally it is a huge force for good and a lot of people love, respect and enjoy their football more than anything else in their lives.

'Being president of an organisation that can reach that many people and can affect a lot of lives through sport, I think is hugely important.'

By royal appointment: An Aston Villa shirt fit for a prince

Part of the FA's "Tube map" of football released to celebrate its 150th birthday

William added: 'It's extremely important to me that grassroots football is acknowledged in the FA's 150th year and without it there wouldn't be any Premiership players who are worth supporting, watching or being such successful players that they are.'

The royal's video message is released exactly 150 years since the FA was founded.

William will attend a FA gala dinner tonight to mark the anniversary, with the event staged at the Grand Connaught Rooms in London - the site where the founder fathers of English football met in 1863.

The video will by played during the dinner and William is due to give a speech.

William helped organise the competitive game at Buckingham Palace between two of England's oldest amateur clubs, Civil Service FC and Polytechnic FC, as part of the anniversary celebrations.

Speaking about the Queen, the Duke said: 'She was extremely supportive, but there was a little bit of a sweating moment for me having to ask her, with the possibility that her lawn might turn into a massive quagmire.

'It was a little bit awkward but thankfully the weather held off.'

Listen to FA President Prince William in the video he made to mark the organisation's 150th anniversary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bDg3pawOJvQ

A look back at how The FA was founded in 1863

The Freemasons' Tavern in Covent Garden, Holborn, London, where modern football was born on 26th October 1863

It was 150 years ago yesterday that The Football Association was founded on 26 October 1863 at the Freemasons’ Tavern in London.

It was then that Ebenezer Morley, a solicitor and sportsman living in Barnes in south-west London, thought that football should have a set of rules in the same way that the MCC had for cricket.

And it was his initiative that led to the meeting at which, on his proposal, The Football Association was formed.

The captains, secretaries and other representatives of a dozen London and suburban clubs met at the Freemasons’ Tavern in Great Queen Street, near to where Holborn tube station is today.

Their purpose was to form an Association with the object of establishing a definite code of rules for the regulation of the game.

The FA’s intention was to standardise the rules, to iron out differences - not to create a new game.

Morley became The FA’s first secretary - and later its president - and he drafted modern football’s first rules at his home in Barnes.

The first match under those rules was played at nearby Limes Field on 19 December 1863. Barnes and Richmond drew 0-0.

The Freemasons’ Tavern was extended and remodelled from 1905 and renamed the ‘Connaught Rooms’ in honour of the Grand Master, the Duke of Connaught.

At around the same time, Limes Field was built on with housing that is now in ‘Limes Field Road’.

Before The FA was formed football was in a hybrid, nebulous state.

But today it spans a world that is caught up in the magic of its special thrill.

The Freemasons' Tavern is today The Grand Connaught Rooms

To those men of a clear vision and high resolve who first gathered together at the Tavern we owe a great debt.

From them has flowed an ocean of enjoyment, of fun and humour and many life-long friendships struck.

The Football Association is still the organisation that controls all football played in England.

There are now ‘Football Associations’ in more than 200 countries, while The FA is a proud member association within UEFA and FIFA, the European and world governing bodies.

The Founding Fathers of football are:

1. Ebenezer Cobb Morley (1831-1924)
2. Arthur Pember (1835-1886)
3. Charles William Alcock (1842-1907)
4. Francis Maule Campbell (1843-1920)
5. John Forster Alcock (1841-1910)
6. Herbert Thomas Steward (1839-1915)
7. George Twizell Wawn (1840-1914)
8. James Turner

Read more: 'I want George to be a Villa fan:' Prince William vows to take his son to see his team 'thrash' Manchester United | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited: